iOS 5 Beta 2: User Interface Tweaks, 3G Over-the-Air Updates, Native Scrolling in Safari

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 25, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's iOS 5 Beta 2 that was released to developers Friday contains a number of new findings. The biggest one we covered yesterday with the additional of Wi-Fi syncing.

AppleInsider posts a couple of screenshots from the new lock-screen notifications which show a slightly more prominent display:

[​IMG]

They also point out that the keyboard in iMessage now recedes when scrolling upwards into message history.

[​IMG]

3G download support for Over the Air updates appears to be confirmed with these strings found by 9to5mac. Apple had announced that the new version of iOS will support "Over the Air" updates which allows the operating system to be upgraded without syncing to your computer. These strings seem to indicate that this can occur over Wi-Fi or 3G.

Another more subtle tweak was posted by Johan Brook which reveals that Apple is now supporting a new CSS property that will allow web developers to get "native" iOS scrolling behavior in their web apps. This refers to the "momentum" inherent in native apps. DaringFireball previously described this behavior:
    While there have been javascript work-arounds floating around, with iOS 5 this functionality will be easily implemented for web apps.

Article Link: iOS 5 Beta 2: User Interface Tweaks, 3G Over-the-Air Updates, Native Scrolling in Safari

2. macrumors 6502

YYYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!

As much as I love the iScroll framework... it just never worked well and felt like a native app.

I've built many web apps for my company... and now... oh man am I happy! :D

3. macrumors newbie

Good to have lock screen notifications, hopefully they can be configured for privacy

4. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This explains the wonky scrolling behavior I've been experiencing but couldn't put my finger on. Glad to hear it ought to be resolved.

5. macrumors regular

Keyboard in iMessage

So glad it will go away when scrolling through past messages, I always hated leaving the conversation and going back in just to remove the keyboard! :D

-so glad, I created an account just to post this!

6. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Finally the keyboard hides. Wish the iPhone had the keyboard on/off button like the iPad.

7. macrumors 65816

uaecasher

+1, they should do something like the SMS preview option.

8. macrumors 6502a

Thought this day would never come. Lock screen notifications is the only reason I jailbreak.

9. macrumors regular

HMFIC03

This is one the best updates out of the whole lot of them in iOS 5. Also looking for forward to the camera improvements.

10. pmz
    macrumors 68000

How about pointing out the Mail notifications do not work in this second beta?

Things like this are more important CURRENT info. iOS 5 is public in the FALL.

iOS 5 beta 2 is out now, and on thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of devices. Its pretty damn important right now.

11. lfc
    macrumors regular

You do know that it's called a beta for a reason, right?

12. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Some users are reporting they work fine with screenshots for proof.

13. macrumors newbie

FYI the keyboard recends in text message conversations as well.

You can make it not recend by not moving your finger far enough on the screen, and just flicking the message area.

14. macrumors G3

They work fine.

Why would developers (the intended audience for these betas) care if mail notifications work? Their apps have nothing to do with mail notifications. (Further: mail notifications do work.)

15. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can someone estimate what months "fall" Steve is referring to?

16. macrumors 68020

AbSoluTc

Not sure I dig the change to the new notification system. I like the first beta notification system where the messages show up on the lock screen in a list like the second picture with NO bubble at first.

Now it's like the old way but with an icon and larger text. I get why they did it, just not sure I like it. I liked not having bubbles popup all the time. I loved the list only view.

17. macrumors G3

You get the list view. The bubble stays only for a few seconds. Heck, took me awhile to even notice it since usually by the time I notice it's already in list view.

18. macrumors 6502

kuwxman

The beta 1 notifications look better IMO. Could just be my LockInfo bias. That notification on the left looks terrible; no information, etc etc etc.

edit: I see the post above me addresses it somewhat. Still terrible. Lets hold on to the old way with a mix of the new...

19. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm guessing late September. To coincide with a late september iPhone 5 release.

20. macrumors 65816

nunes013

if the sept iphone rumor is true probably then which means at the sept event. if they do a beta every two weeks and im guessing there will be ~2-3 more plus GM that gives ~6-8 weeks which is end of august early sept. which is when the event usually is and falls nicely with iphone rumors.

EDIT: beaten^^^ but end sept sounds more like fall than early so maybe we will see a few more betas than normal

21. macrumors regular

bgtrack

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

IMO what they should do to compromise is keep the way notifications looked from the first beta, just make them a little bigger. Then, everyone is happy.

22. macrumors member

apttap

Hmmm.

I posted this over 24 hours ago. Hah, maybe I should start an apple blog.

23. celticpride678, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

celticpride678

I'm not very fond of the new lock screen notification bubbles in this build. It's going back to the iOS 4 days; the bubble itself is not consistent with the rest of iOS' UI, not to mention the gradient looks like crap.

24. macrumors regular

Wolffie

Windows Live Hotmail

In AppleInsider's article, there are screen shots of adding a mail/cal/contacts with Windows Live Hotmail.

Can anyone give me details about these accounts?

I just had a group 6 people I have been telling to get iPhones for their communication needs, sign up with 3GS.
    When IOS5 hits, I'd like to be informed to answer their questions.
    Thank you!

25. macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

The gradient is a little off but I like that it adds emphasis to the newest notification and hides the other notifications.

iOS 5.png