Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've skimmed the first few pages of threads in the iOS 5 section of the forums and haven't found anything on this, but I have a third generation iPod touch. It currently runs iOS 4.3.5; I have an iPad that I today updated to iOS 5, and while, with one odd exception (that I'm convinced is a bug) with the settings app, it seems stable, fine, and just as zippy on iOS 5.0 as it was on 4.3.5. While I know the A4 is similar to the guts of the 3GS and the 3rd Gen touch, I will say that iOS 4.x.x was noticably slower on said iPod touch than iOS 3.x.x was and I'm wondering if anyone out there with a third-gen iPod touch can attest to whether 5.0 makes said model iPod touch run faster or slower than 4.3.5 and to what degree. I only keep my music on this thing; there isn't much room left over for much else. Maybe a TV show or two or some really lightweight apps. If I delayed (or ignored altogether) iOS 5.0 on this iPod touch, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but given that I do like iOS 5.0's features, it's worth upgrading if it doesn't make it ridiculously slow (much like iOS 3.0 did with my old first generation iPod touch). So that said, can anyone attest to iOS 5.0 performance on a third-gen iPod touch? I'd be interested to know.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I was running 4.3.3 before on my 3rd gen iPod Touch and now with 5.0 it seems to run faster than I can ever remember it.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
I was running 4.3.3 on my iPod touch 3rd gen and upgraded the other evening to iOS 5. It took 3 hrs to download and 2 hrs to do the update and restore all the apps and music. Speed is just the same. iMessage works well. iMovie and Pages got updated with new features for the cloud. I'm happy with it.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I was running 4.3.3 on my iPod touch 3rd gen and upgraded the other evening to iOS 5. It took 3 hrs to download and 2 hrs to do the update and restore all the apps and music. Speed is just the same. iMessage works well. iMovie and Pages got updated with new features for the cloud. I'm happy with it.

Are you sure you're not actually referring to a fourth gen iPod touch (i.e. with both front and rear-facing cameras)? iMovie won't run on a third-gen iPod touch by virtue of not having built-in cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.