Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like the idea of having a lot of info at a glance. On morning wake up, it would be nice to know the exact time, weather and top news one a single look instead of open 3 different apps. I think this is a potentialy dangeur to apps and widgets will be sold by third party devs on both ios app store and mac app store. This could also bring new life to mac widgets.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Android = unstable.

Except of course we are now on 4.3... each of those intermediate upgrades has brought new features.

What percentage of Android devices are actually upgraded to the latest version? How quickly are you able to upgrade any particular phone? Weren't Google and the manufacturers recently proud to announce that upgrades should be available to all devices within 18 months of them being released?

I owned a Samsung Galaxy S for a short while and purchased it when it was a relativly brand new concept for Samsung. But, as I remember, Google seemed to abandon it when new firmware was released. I have been informed that the Galaxy S will be getting Gingerbread. But, the program to upgrade, Samsung Kies, is completely unstable, unreliable and the worse piece of software ever created. It's such a breeze to update any iOS device. Android tried to be as such, but failed miserably. In my eyes, Android was a plan by Google just to reel in customers information such as position and usage. Just tracking online searches wasn't enough. Google has actually confirmed that Android was created to follow users more perminantly and constantly. I don't disagree with companies tracking users, but to the point where they're making whole systems to do so, is completely wrong.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Id like that, but also to have Widgets available on my Lockscreen, so I could know how many emails I had etc.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I agree with the better notification system as far as a more informationally intense lock screen. But, when I had my Samsung Galaxy S, I wasn't happy with the way Widgets replaced apps. I soon had no need to open apps. iPhone revolutionised the way mobile phones are with the introduction of applications. To make widgets, defeats that, for me.

I am not sure I follow you. Widgets replaced some apps and, being always ON, unlike apps they do not require extra clicks for opening them. And you are saying that iPhone revolutionized phones by not allowing this?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Forget the widgets. Please do something with the lock screen. Calendar appointments, missed calls, texts, email headers. Jail breakers can do this, I want the same from Apple!

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Caching up with Android does not sound like very revolutionary to me :p

So revolutionary that Android users have had these features since Day 1?

You are both making the same potentially incorrect assumption. Sure you can interpret that "revolutionary" in this context is a comparison to competing handsets, but it can also be a comparison against Apple's current offering. So someone could argue that adding these features would be a revolutionary step for iOS 5 over iOS 4. I can't speak for those making these statements, but it is not necessarily a comparison to android.

For me it doesn't matter what Android or Blackberry or anyone else is doing, because none of them understand user interface and product design like Apple does, so none of these companies are even part of the discussion for me.

As for having certain features from day 1, it doesn't really matter so much how soon a feature arrives. It matters if it is well executed. I waited for Apple to deliver their vision of cut and paste and multi-tasking, and it was well worth the wait.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Forget the widgets. Please do something with the lock screen. Calendar appointments, missed calls, texts, email headers. Jail breakers can do this, I want the same from Apple!

If the new notifications system is any good, it will surely have this.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I am not sure I follow you. Widgets replaced some apps and, being always ON, unlike apps they do not require extra clicks for opening them. And you are saying that iPhone revolutionized phones by not allowing this?

I found that, as time went on, too many advanced widgets were created that set out to replace apps. Apple will always want us to be frequently using applications. I think they will see widgets as potential app replaces. Just my opinion. :p

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
As for having certain features from day 1, it doesn't really matter so much how soon a feature arrives. It matters if it is well executed. I waited for Apple to deliver their vision of cut and paste and multi-tasking, and it was well worth the wait.

Excellent point, Apple generally ensure they do something right or not at all. I've found that in any discussions on the Mac vs PC or iOS vs Android debates, there's always a tendency to focus on the headline figures of specs etc whereas from day to day usage, well designed interfaces and software are far more important to user satisfaction (well to mine anyway)

StacheBC

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Great.

Personally I like the idea of being able to look at one screen and being able to see weather, e-mail, stock ticker and social updates without having to open and close several applications to do so. :)

For those that don't like Widgets... Just don't use them :rolleyes:.

aindik

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
I'll look forward to being able to have a push notification for e-mail. I get push notifications when I get a text, a google voice message, when VEVO has a new video, when CNN updates something. But not for my push e-mail? Crazy.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
For me it doesn't matter what Android or Blackberry or anyone else is doing, because none of them understand user interface and product design like Apple does, so none of these companies are even part of the discussion for me.

And they don't understand just because you say so, don't you?

janmike34

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
I don't see widgets replacing apps. I believe Apple will put restrictions on what widgets could do, similar to the limited processes that multitasking-enabled apps could do.

I don't think I'll be watching movies on Netflix on a widget. :rolleyes:

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Just curious for all those that say you wouldn't use widgets - have you ever owned an Android?

Widgets are the coolest feature ever... and the reason I still have my Android phone, and I'd be tempted to go back to an iPhone if they implement this well. I use three widgets 24x7:
1. Clock with weather. Open your home screen to have a big fat animation tell you its going to rain. Nice. All without opening an app.
2. Swipe left, and I see all my appointments for the day. Scroll down, within that app page, and see what appointments I have for the week. Cool.
3. Swipe right of the home screen, and I have my to-do list, alongside my Pandora app, etc. etc.

I know that this might seem a little foreign, but trust me, the iPhone needs this. A good analogy for how cool widgets (and how iPhone users fail to understand this) is like how cool the OSX interface is (and how Windows users fail to understand this). You never know how good it is until you try it.

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I don't see widgets replacing apps. I believe Apple will put restrictions on what widgets could do, similar to the limited processes that multitasking-enabled apps could do.

I don't think I'll be watching movies on Netflix on a widget. :rolleyes:

Widgets open up apps (or at least on Android?). So you see your to-do list on a widget, want to delete an item, so you click the widget and your to-do app opens up.

Yeah, I agree Netflix would be weird, but that doesn't mean there isn't a use for widgets.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
And they don't understand just because you say so, don't you?

You are exactly correct. Why would I care about anyone else's opinion over mine to determine my product purchases? Or should I let you decide what I buy? That just seems like a recipe for failure.

Since I know exactly what I want and/or need in my phone, then I am the only opinion that matters. So yes, compared to android, blackberry, Microsoft, and any other phone maker, Apple is the only one who understands what I want and can deliver that product. If another company wants to try to convince me they are more than welcome to roll the dice and try. No one is stopping them from bringing a better product to market. Of course up to this point, they all pale in comparison. I will admit though, that I am very picky, so they have their work cut out for them. I don't expect any of them to out-Apple Apple.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
You are exactly correct. Why would I care about anyone else's opinion over mine to determine my product purchases? Or should I let you decide what I buy? That just seems like a recipe for failure.

Since I know exactly what I want and/or need in my phone, then I am the only opinion that matters. So yes, compared to android, blackberry, Microsoft, and any other phone maker, Apple is the only one who understands what I want and can deliver that product. If another company wants to try to convince me they are more than welcome to roll the dice and try. No one is stopping them from bringing a better product to market.

:eek::eek:

janmike34

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
I wonder if Apple could make it so devs can include widgets in the app bundle.

That's actually how I envisioned the concept. When you install an app, the corresponding widget would be downloaded as well and appear in the widget list. However, this brings into question, "What do I do with all those icons if every single app I download includes a (potentially) worthless widget...".

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Except of course we are now on 4.3... each of those intermediate upgrades has brought new features.

What percentage of Android devices are actually upgraded to the latest version? How quickly are you able to upgrade any particular phone? Weren't Google and the manufacturers recently proud to announce that upgrades should be available to all devices within 18 months of them being released?

The difference between incremental upgrades that Google delivers vs. Apple is really in just the number formatting. 2.1 to 2.2 on Android is akin to iOS versioning 3.x to 4.x, etc. Android releases incremental patches much like iOS but they go to a third digit (whereas iOS using a third digit is generally just a minor security patch). So 2.1 to 2.2 is like iOS 3 to 4. So there's that. Second, what percentage? No idea. But the fact most versions are currently on 2.1 or 2.2, it's a safe bet that these phones will get to 2.3. To your next point, this is the difference between the transparency of when Google announces an OS and how Apple does things. Apple only announces when it's ready to be delivered; Google announces an OS before it is truly ready. What is the difference between announcing Gingerbread in December 2010 and delivering in May 2011? So if they announce and deliver in May 2011 it makes it better somehow? That's all essentially Apple is doing. And yes, OS updates will be available for 18 months, but here's the kicker: didn't I read a report that says the 3GS won't be supported for iOS5? Sure, the phone is two years old (24 months vs. 18 that Google promised) but the difference is that ATT is still selling the 3GS BRAND NEW. Go ahead; try and find me an Android phone that I can buy brand new that's currently 18 months old.

And please be aware, these are not my opinion these are facts. Feel free to research anything I wrote here and try and refute me on a basis of fanboyism.

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I owned a Samsung Galaxy S for a short while and purchased it when it was a relativly brand new concept for Samsung. But, as I remember, Google seemed to abandon it when new firmware was released. I have been informed that the Galaxy S will be getting Gingerbread. But, the program to upgrade, Samsung Kies, is completely unstable, unreliable and the worse piece of software ever created. It's such a breeze to update any iOS device. Android tried to be as such, but failed miserably. In my eyes, Android was a plan by Google just to reel in customers information such as position and usage. Just tracking online searches wasn't enough. Google has actually confirmed that Android was created to follow users more perminantly and constantly. I don't disagree with companies tracking users, but to the point where they're making whole systems to do so, is completely wrong.

Samsung makes terrible phones. I wouldn't confuse Samsung with Android/Google as a whole, so just because Kies is terrible (which as a Galaxy S owner I can confirm :) ), doesn't doom Android as a platform.

Nonetheless, it is nice that you can rely on Apple to make a good phone, when I got my Galaxy S I just assumed they wouldn't release something that was broken. It was kind of frustrating that Apple was getting all this heat for releasing a phone that may or may not cause signal deterioration when you hold it an awkward way, and here I was with a Galaxy S phone that wasn't going to be upgraded anytime soon, had a broken GPS, and had a syncing program (Kies) that was terribly buggy. Galaxy S deserved 1,000x more criticism than the iPhone 4...but nobody expected Samsung to make a good phone anyways... it was more of a shock when Apple made that error so that made the news.

The hardest thing for me that will keep me from getting an Android in the future after the Galaxy S debacle is trusting that the phone will perform as expected.

(P.S. You really think Google made Android OS just to track people?)

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
You are both making the same potentially incorrect assumption. Sure you can interpret that "revolutionary" in this context is a comparison to competing handsets, but it can also be a comparison against Apple's current offering. So someone could argue that adding these features would be a revolutionary step for iOS 5 over iOS 4. I can't speak for those making these statements, but it is not necessarily a comparison to android.

I guess my comment dealt with the OP's use of the word "revolutionary". When something exists, in this case widgets and/or the notification bar, it's quite difficult to ascertain that when it's released by Apple it's automatically going to be so awesome that it is considered innovative. Android using widgets was hardly revolutionary since it's not a new concept. Just because Apple is doing it doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. I'd love for someone to be serious and post how Apple could potentially revolutionize either the widget system or notification bar. It's difficult to revolutionize something that is designed to only have a maximum amount of impact and where there is a ceiling in place in regards to expected usability and/or functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.