iOS 5 to Unlock Bluetooth Capabilities of Apple TV?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's forthcoming iOS 5 contains code that, if activated, would allow users to connect a Bluetooth wireless keyboard to the second-generation Apple TV. The new Apple TV contains a combination Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip, but the Bluetooth functionality is not enabled in its present state.

[​IMG]
    Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip in second-generation Apple TV (Source: iFixit)
    As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, the Apple TV iOS 5 beta contains Bluetooth activation strings such as:
    The ability to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with the Apple TV would obviously make for significantly easier text entry, simplifying such tasks as initial setup with iTunes Store accounts and Wi-Fi network passwords as well as day-to-day content searching.

But activation of the Apple TV's Bluetooth capabilities could also open the door to a host of other developments on the platform if Apple were to allow third-party apps on the Apple TV. Such possibilities include the ability to use other Bluetooth peripherals such as gaming controllers.

With the Apple TV running on the same iOS code base as the company's mobile devices, app development for the Apple TV should be a relatively straightforward process once design considerations for the lack of direct touch input and other differences in usage are accounted for. Apple CEO Steve Jobs even acknowledged at the time of the Apple TV's debut last September that the company could launch an App Store for the device when the time is right.

Article Link: iOS 5 to Unlock Bluetooth Capabilities of Apple TV?

2. macrumors 604

wordoflife

I believe this. They did the very same with the 2nd gen iPod Touch.

3. macrumors 68000

definitive

would be nice if apple tv had a safari browser built in. would go nice with a wireless keyboard.

4. macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

a cheap game console?

5. macrumors regular

Yes please! YouTube is so impractical without a keyboard.

6. macrumors 6502a

justflie

...if you don't have an iDevice to use as a keyboard.

7. macrumors member

... and basic functionality to read/write e-mails.

8. macrumors 601

jaw04005

I've been keeping my Apple TV updated with each new beta, and there's something weird about this one (iOS 5 Beta 1 and 2). It makes me think they're going to change the interface and the current UI/app is just a temporary placeholder until September.

Photostream feels tacked on.

9. macrumors member

I'd be happy if I could pair my BT headphones with it.

10. macrumors 65816

And maybe a track pad too?

11. macrumors member

And come to think of it, why should we not be able to load any number of iOS apps on the thing, including a browser?

12. macrumors newbie

So if you bought a new Apple TV it has bluetooth but you can't use it until Apple says so? That's innovation at it's best.

13. macrumors 604

wordoflife

This!
    I would totally buy an Apple TV provided it has such a feature

14. macrumors 6502a

Agreed I'm not a fan of the browser from atv flash...

15. macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

There's only 8GB of storage on the current :apple:TV, which, among other things, is used for buffering downloads of iTunes rentals. This, and the prospective introduction of 1080p content coming to iTunes leads me to believe that we will see an :apple:TV3 launch in the near future with at least 16GB of storage.

16. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

17. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

Would you expect anything else from our friends at Infinity Loop?

18. macrumors G5

Consultant

What can bluetooth do that wifi can't? Slightly faster screen sharing?

19. macrumors 6502

FakeWozniak

Exactly. It'd be nice if my Dual Shock 3 worked with it.

20. macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Connect peripherals without annoying dongles and munch on your battery life like no other :)

21. macrumors member

they "could" use iCloud for apps on demand.. ;)

22. macrumors 601

macduke

Magic Trackpad for Safari and simple games like Angry Birds would be even better.

I love playing my iPad 2 on the aTV with iOS 5. I think Apple should release a remote app for games on aTV. That way if you only owned the aTV version, you could still play from your iOS device. It could provide an SDK for devs that could load in the custom UI for controls and provide other feedback such as inventory or in-game map. This has three benefits: eliminate some of the lag of streaming from one device to another (controls can sometimes lag when streaming the whole game over video), provide better battery life for the controller device, and simplify all the separate remote apps into one, provided by Apple, with an SDK.

23. macrumors 6502

nate13

a $100 fully functional iOS/ basic computer on an existing piece of hardware? With awesome connectivity to the most popular PC music player/ smartphone/ tablet/ iTouch, access to a wide range of existing application code? FOR $100 DOLLARS!?

I'm sorry, but that would be absolutely genius- we truly are in the Post PC era.

24. macrumors 68000

This is a MUST for me!
    Here's hoping!

25. macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah I guess the game controls might be interesting, especially for some developers who can't figure out how to do good touch control.