Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
So if you bought a new Apple TV it has bluetooth but you can't use it until Apple says so? That's innovation at it's best.

they use a unified chip for both wifi/bluetooth (like the same as in other devices) because its cheaper. that doesnt mean they knew what to do w/ it, or felt the time was right.

the fact remains -- you didnt buy an ATV for its bluetooth capabilities, you bought it for what it does. and it does so just as well today as it did yesterday. but, when they release iOS it *might* do more.

how can you complain? you cant. fail.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Activate this already!

This would make the apple tv potentially way more useful. Adding keyboard functionality... and maybe even apps... at just over $100 that's a tremendous value... but I think they would need to update the storage capacity a bit, 8 gigs is not much, but I imagine only some apps would be available to the apple tv, not the whole app store. Decent apps would make me consider buying the apple tv. Until then, I don't find it useful (maybe if I could browse all the media on my other hard drives with it... but I think you can only playback itunes movies? Or movies that you have imported into itunes? Not too useful for me in that case, and I have a 360 anyway that plays back lots of movie files from usb memory).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why dont they just allow you to plug your IPAD 1 or 2 via wireless or via HDMI and then you add a blutooth keyboard and track pad. Bank extremly fast internet on your HDTV. For now you would get 720 and with the new Retina display that is coming you would get the tru 1080p.

Maybe I am missing something but that would be the next itteration of the Apple TV and IPADS...They do not have to build it in apple tv just use what you have. It could help sell more of these little buggers...Put it on the dock with the plug into ATV and away you go...

What do people think of that?

The main problem with ALL of these kinds of ideas (using iDevices with :apple:TV, using iDevices as remotes, use iDevices as a game controller, etc) is that it only works if the owner of the iDevice is the ONLY user of the :apple:TV. If more than one person lives in that home, they'll want the iDevice to stay home with them so that it can be used that way too. So, a mobile device become immobile. As soon as the iDevice goes with the owner out and about, anyone else at home wanting to do iDevice-driven things with their :apple:TV are frustrated.

If you build the functionality into the :apple:TV and keep iDevices as just ancillary ways to do other things with it, you mostly solve these multi-person household problems... though you only need to hear gripes about you taking the "good remote" with you so many times before you realize the mistake in introducing the "good remote".

Of course, your idea is not about using it as a remote, but using it as sort of a "shared tech guts" device. By combining the two in some form of link, it yields a higher function device. Nevertheless, the problem ramifications are the same for any living situation where more than one person uses this new kinds of :apple:TV that may have dependencies for "usual functionality" in needing to be linked up with an iPad or other iDevice.

:apple:TV is an island. Of all of the iDevices, it is the one designed to be immobile the vast majority of time it is in use. It needs to offer full functionality entirely on its own, as if there is no such thing as iDevices. That way, the much bigger world that doesn't own any iDevice could still get value out of buying & using an :apple:TV. If Apple made desirable functionality dependent on ALSO owning an iDevice, the proposition goes from $99 to $99 + the cost of whichever iDevice someone wants (er, MUST BUY). Having been around with version 1 cost $229 and seeing an endless stream of gripes about that price, you don't want to see the gripes in a co-dependent requirement (or maybe you personally would, but not the general public)

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Someone mentioned on the first page using an "i device" as a keyboard already. What app and or how do I do this? I have an ATV2 (of course) and a Verizon iPhone4 (and a spring 2010 13.3 MBP)...

Thanks!

Doofry

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Renfrew, Scotland
Someone mentioned on the first page using an "i device" as a keyboard already. What app and or how do I do this? I have an ATV2 (of course) and a Verizon iPhone4 (and a spring 2010 13.3 MBP)...

Thanks!

As mentioned above use the Apple Remote app for itunes or if jailbroken use Rowmote, XBMC remote, Boxee Remote (providing on-screen keyboard, touchpad controll, etc) or even Remote HD which also lets you see what's actually on screen and simply touch on things to delect them (more suited to iPad use) which can be handy for setting something up without switching the TV to the Apple TV input while the Mrs watches something :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.