iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Fixes Exploits Used for Evasi0n Jailbreak

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The upcoming iOS 6.1.3 update, which was seeded in beta form to developers last week, will put an end to new versions of the evasi0n jailbreak.

Forbes reports that evad3rs team member David Wang (aka planetbeing on Twitter) tested the patch over the weekend and found that one of the five exploits the hack uses was repaired.
    Despite evasi0n's record number of downloads, hitting seven million installs just four days after release, Apple has been relatively slow to patch the bugs that make evasi0n possible, compared to some previous jailbreaks.

The Cupertino-based company pushed the iOS 6.1.2 update six days ago, without a fix for evasi0n, which has now been available for download for three weeks. According to Forbes, it took Apple just nine days to fix Jailbreakme 3.0, the jailbreaking tool for the iPhone 4.

Wang is predicting that the iOS 6.1.3 update might take as long as a month to be released, and he also mentioned that the evad3rs have discovered additional bugs in the operating system, which could lead to a new jailbreak in the future.

iOS 6.1.3 will bring improved Maps to Japan along with a fix for the Passcode bug that was discovered after iOS 6.1.

Article Link: iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Fixes Exploits Used for Evasi0n Jailbreak

2. macrumors regular

The passcode bug existed prior to 6.1.

3. macrumors regular

They really are on the ball with these things now aren't they?

4. macrumors 68020

Squilly

So many updates, for ****s sake. Get your act together!

5. macrumors 6502

Looks like I won't be leaving 6.1.2 for awhile.

6. macrumors 68000

that was quick .... too bad.

Hope they fix all the other bugs as quick.

7. macrumors regular

doasis23

I don't care. I am not giving up my jailbreak. I am not upgrading until ios7.

8. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Hell if we have another joke update like iOS 5 was to iOS 6, I have no problem skipping iOS7 all together.

9. macrumors 68000

iGrip

In this day and age, with all of the substantial improvements that Apple has made to iOS over the years, I don't really think that there are many excuses left for jailbreakers.

10. macrumors 6502a

there are still a few tweaks exclusive to jailbreakers that i find handy, namely activator and sbsettings, which are not available with JB

11. macrumors 6502

Are you serious? there is so many things you can do with an iPhone jailbroken that you can't with iOS on its own.

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 603

nfl46

This!

Apple updates have been piss poor. The last good update was back when we got iOS 5 in 2011. iOS 6 was just one big screw up - hence the SVP getting let go over it.

13. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Oh brother, where to begin on this one...

14. macrumors 6502

TimUSCA

What? Lots of updates are a GOOD thing and means that they DO have their **** together.

Would you rather they find out about bugs and security flaws and ignore them so that they can patch them all at once a month from now? It's much better to release a small update to patch a hole and then release another one a week later to patch the second hole.

15. macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Question is, can a jailbreak tweak fix the passcode bug?

If not... well we have the choice between a jailbroken iPhone or a secure iPhone

16. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

True to an extent. But NCSettings (or sbsettings) and BiteSMS are clutch, along with 3GUnrestrictor (FaceTime for unlimited data plans, for example) and TetherMe (or MyWi).

FolderEnhancer (more than 16 apps in a folder and folders inside folders) and f.lux (also available for OSX) are also very worth it, IMO.

17. macrumors 6502

TimUSCA

Well, it's true to an extent. I still have reasons to Jailbreak, but with every iOS release, I have less and less critical needs to do so.

18. macrumors regular

doasis23

If ios let's you quick reply and quick compose for sms and adds toggles in notification center I might agree with you but until then I'm jailbreaking. I theme my phone and there are other tweeks that I use but I can live without them.

19. macrumors P6

Peace

Of course there is the bizarre option of not using the simple passcode. You know ? Like more than four numbers ?

20. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

MyWi, Auxo, NcSettings, Zephyr. Enough said.

21. macrumors 6502a

Annnnnnd there it is

22. macrumors 6502

TimUSCA

It's hardly something to worry about anyway.

----------

I don't disagree that everyone has different needs, but that list used to be a lot larger. That's all I'm saying.

23. macrumors 6502a

Aside from MyWi I'm hoping 7.0 will do away with the need for JB

24. macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Zephyr is the only reason I jailbreak.

Dunno why it isn't a stock feature, swipe down and swipe up... almost crazy Apple didn't think of it

25. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What has Apple added recently that satisfied your needs? NC and perhaps twitter/FB integration is all I can think of.