iOS 6.1 Bug Enables Bypassing Passcode Lock to Access Phone and Contacts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yesterday, Jailbreak Nation highlighted a bug with iOS 6.1 that allows users to bypass a passcode lock on an iPhone to access the phone function and contacts on the device. While the bug allows only limited access to the device and can require several attempts to achieve the correct timing to exploit, it is gaining significant attention today.
    MacRumors encourages users to refrain from experimenting with the technique, as emergency calls that are not canceled soon enough may go through to operators.

The issue does appear to have been present in earlier versions of iOS as well, as Gizmodo points to a YouTube video posted in late January claiming that the method also works on iOS 6.0.1 and 6.0.2.

Similar bugs have appeared in previous versions of iOS, and Apple has generally moved fairly quickly to incorporate fixes into subsequent software updates once it becomes aware of the issues.

Update: One MacRumors reader notes that the technique does not appear to work if the user has turned off the "simple passcode" option to allow for more complex passcodes.

Update 2: AllThingsD notes that while Apple has yet to make an official comment on the issue, "sources close to the company say it is hard at work on a fix."

Update 3: AllThingsD has now updated its report with a response from Apple.
    Article Link: iOS 6.1 Bug Enables Bypassing Passcode Lock to Access Phone and Contacts

2. macrumors 65816

japanime

Oh, please... All that just to bypass a lock screen. Who wastes their time figuring out this stuff?

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors regular

BreuerEditor

Whoever has the time to figure out that weird combination of buttons and swipes and timing needs a day job...

5. macrumors 68040

KdParker

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors regular

Wait... when you do this... Safari is snappier

8. macrumors 6502

In my opinion that's still a good lock screen. Who would be able to figure that out? Especially someone that would try to steal an iPhone these days!

9. macrumors 68040

D.T.

7. Stand on one foot
    8. Wave iPhone over head
    9. Sing "The hills are alive with the sounds of music"

10. macrumors member

You forgot a crucial step:

Make sure you're jumping up and down and rotating your body in a counter-clockwise motion while doing this or else it won't work.

11. macrumors regular

How the focaccia does one work out this stuff?

12. macrumors 604

bushido

the person who steals your phone :p

that's nothing compared to those devs trying to find loopholes in the Os to inject the jailbreak

13. macrumors 6502

probably be used a lot today - Valentine's secrets anyone?

14. macrumors regular

"Spazz Out" would be considered quite offensive to some people in the UK.

15. macrumors newbie

16. gri
    macrumors 6502a

gri

I might be wrong but hitting the camera button on a locked phone and then going from camera to picture rolls and then hitting home button gets me into the phone without ever entering the unlock code.

17. macrumors 65816

japanime

Good point! :D

18. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

<rant>
    As a (overwhelmed) single father of two, I despise people that spend time trying to figure stuff like this. Unless this was found by error...

But I still despise all the virgin nerds that waste time, like figuring out new iphone from strings in betas...
    </rant>

19. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

It will still ask you for the pass code.

20. longofest, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

Editor emeritus

longofest

Are you guys seriously downplaying this bug? If I've lost my phone and it takes a few hours to realize that it's lost, I'd expect that during that time someone has not been able to pick up my phone and bypass my lock screen to steal my contact's information.

I don't know if I can blame this on lack of quality control. I still contend Apple has been skimping on that department over the past couple of years. Still, this is yet another serious bug to come out. How many more Apple before you acknowledge there is a problem and figure out a systematic fix?

21. Guest

Sky Blue

The screen goes all fuzzy, so it's not like you can read anything of it anyway.

22. macrumors member

You are wrong.

23. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Works for me. Can see all my contacts. Strange bug. I was even able to place a call once I was in, although it was a little glitchy! This could be useful if you want to place a call on someone's random phone. :p

24. macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

25. macrumors regular

that does not work anymore