Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I haven't really kept up with recent news, but is there any speed improvements/real benefits on upgrading from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6?

I'm quite happy with 5.1.1 right now and the only thing keeping me from upgrading was a Jailbreak since I use Inteliscreen X. The one thing I really want is iCloud tabs on Safari.

Think it's worth it to upgrade or will it bog down my iPhone?

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm finding a lot of reports of the iPhone 4 battery getting drained quickly on iOS6 - anyone with an iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1 have any input?

Just wanna cover all my bases before upgrading. :)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
NO noticeable difference in speed or battery power. Everything is exactly the same for me iPhone 4 on ios 6.1

ElCani

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I waited until iOS 6.1 was out to update from iOS 5. I was quite worried about doing it, because my 2.5 year old iP4 was running well with excellent battery life. Took the plunge anyway and luckily everything seems fine.

There's plenty of people on the web complaining about problems though, so YMMV. I did the update via iTunes, rather than OTA.

Good luck!

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
The speed and battery life on my iPhone 4 feels the same.

The bugs in Safari also seem to be gone.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Out of curiosity, what sort of bugs in Safari?

- Icons would not appear on the task bar at the bottom.
- The status bar would disappear, which also disabled the fast scroll action to the top of the page.
- It occasionally got stuck in landscape mode when switching back to portrait.
- A one inch gap between the URL bar and webpage would occasionally appear revealing linen (this bug has only occurred once since updating to 6.1).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
- Icons would not appear on the task bar at the bottom.
- The status bar would disappear, which also disabled the fast scroll action to the top of the page.
- It occasionally got stuck in landscape mode when switching back to portrait.
- A one inch gap between the URL bar and webpage would occasionally appear revealing linen (this bug has only occurred once since updating to 6.1).
I've certainly seen various people post about at least some of these issues before, even if I haven't come across them myself--good to hear that those who have experienced them before are noticing an improvement now (with 6.1).

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
My iPhone 4 is now really fast,and it is also jail broken,settings app open now half the time.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Alright, you guys convinced me! Time to install 6.1... lets see how this goes!

raghav2511

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm having issues with WiFi, other than that its running smoothly. Apparently, the phone is unable to even detect the WiFi network it ran smoothly on 5.1.1.

I'm thinking of downgrading, not sure though.. looking for some solutions first..

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Did you upgrade or restore? I didn't bother with upgrading as in the past it has given me troubles.

I did a full restore and install of iOS 6.1... WOW It's like my iPhone 4 just got a new breath of life! It's MUCH more snappier now. No Wifi problems at all. I've been messing around with it so I can't measure the battery life right now, but it's still lasting a day with more than average usage.

Maybe the past year of usage bogged down my iPhone, but this update just fixed it right up! There's no more lag in the stuff that used to have lag on 5.1.1. :eek:
Jailbreaking was even easier than before... just two buttons to press, one on my Mac and one on the iPhone.

Very impressed.

Even sliding to the search screen to the left doesn't have that little jitter of lag that even my non-jailbroken iPhone had. Wow.

StevenQ

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Battery life is about the same. It drained quickly at first, but when i reset all settings (no data erased) and turned off location services for all system actions, it got back to normal (and it's rockin').

Zephyr is definetly more laggy. I cannot slide up the multitasking bar smoothly anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Settings app does open alot more quickly, Safari is loading faster but lags more often. I still get the Spotlight-lag when swiping. But only during the first swipe - as in iOS 5.
Music app, maybe due to the new UI, is more laggy as well. App Store lags a little bit less than in iOS 6.0.

Other than that, it performs about the same. Can anyone else report their Zephyr experiences?

bigcletus123

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
..reading these posts...is there really any advantage to upgrading ios from 6 to .1 ??
I haven't done it yet.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.