iOS 6.1 to Add Siri-Based Movie Ticket Purchases via Fandango

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5Mac reports that among the new features included in the iOS 6.1 beta seeded to developers late last week is the ability to purchase movie tickets through Siri. The feature, which is currently limited to the United States, integrates with Fandango to facilitate purchases.
    [​IMG]
    Siri already offers some movie theater features, including the ability to look up showtimes, access reviews, and play trailers, and Fandango integration marks an expansion of Apple's partnerships with third-party apps such as Yelp and OpenTable to extend Siri's functionality.

Article Link: iOS 6.1 to Add Siri-Based Movie Ticket Purchases via Fandango

2. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

I can understand using Siri to actually 'look up' information, but purchasing things? A lot of people would feel more comfortable taking control of the device and just using their fingers..

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 65816

Want300

I buy movie tickets through Fandango all the time... so being able to have Siri do it will work out great IMO...

5. macrumors 603

All it does is open the Fandango app where you buy it as normal.

6. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What happens when Siri misunderstands? It's not like that never happens :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'd be more impressed if you could actually buy the tickets through Siri without needing to go to the Fandango app. But I suppose you have to have some layer of security preventing anyone from just buying up tickets via voice alone.

It would also be nice if Fandango added more theaters that could use mobile ticketing through Passbook.

8. macrumors 65816

Pagemakers

No doubt just for the USA!!!

Just read the full post.... Oh yet it is ;)

9. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just what I want. The ability to take wildly unreliable software and give it my credit card.

The other day my friend told Siri to call me and it interpreted that as "Call 911." These sort of stories are bound to get even more hilarious once money is involved.

10. macrumors 6502

11. macrumors 604

bushido

12. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

13. macrumors 603

Read the article. Siri never has your credit card info. It just routes your request to the Fandango app where you buy it.

14. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wow, I totally forgot about this feature being a part of iOS 6. I don't go to the show very often, but maybe this will get me to go more than once per year.

15. macrumors 65816

Besides international support, I kind of wish it was a little more automated.

Ask Siri to buy tickets for a movie. Then it replies vocally to confirm, stating the movie's name and how many tickets (maybe with the ability to differentiate between general admission and children's tickets, etc). You can glance at the screen to be totally sure.

Then you confirm vocally and it charges your iTunes account.

Or perhaps instead of charging your iTunes account, there could be an API for movie ticket apps. You install Fandango or Cineplex or whatever, register one of the apps with Siri, and when Siri buys tickets it charges your CC via the app. But the app never appears on screen. Maybe the API can be smart enough to choose which app to use based on what theatre you're going to. Cineplex obviously won't have AMC tickets.

Something like that :D

16. macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm glad they are pushing forward with having Siri do more and more. That said, after reading the articles last week on how much better Google's voice-search app is than Siri (in terms of understanding your voice, better query responses, etc.), I'd much prefer in this new Post-Scott Forestall (sp?) era that Apple convince me that it is doubling down on Siri's basics rather than let me know I can now more quickly spend money on a movie ticket.

17. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

I want siri to be able to turn do not disturb on/off before they start bringing in stuff like this...

18. macrumors 6502

I'm surprised apple doesn't want a 30% cut of the movie ticket. Or do they?

19. macrumors 65816

Pagemakers

Shame Google Search wasn't Siri. It's how it should be done.

20. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

How about something useful? Like Siri speaking the weather to you when your alarm goes off. Oh that's right, I have to jailbreak for that.:rolleyes:

21. macrumors G4

Small White Car

So what's your point? When Siri passes on incorrect info to the Fandango app that's supposed to make me happy because I'm in an app instead of in Siri?

22. macrumors 6502

Cool and all, but Fandango already charges $1.25 per ticket service fee for the privilege of getting tickets reserved. Not bad if only buying one ticket but adds up when you buy for an entire group or family.
    Pretty much all of my local theaters have outside kiosks already for ticketing so for me Fandango isn't much of a convenience.

23. macrumors 6502

Wow what a joke.

24. macrumors 68020

jclardy

30% is only for digital content. Buying physical goods and services do not fall under that category. Hence Starbucks, Fandango, airline tickets, Amazon shopping (not ebooks), etc.

25. macrumors 6502

extricated

Remember, you have to click the "buy movie tickets" button to complete the purchase. If Siri pulled up bad info (not unheard of), you still haven't commited to a purchase.