Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Well it's more swipe down, tap search field then start typing
Or they could have swipe on to the screen from the left edge and activate the search field and keyboard all in one action. Keeping the clear distinction of the two functions. It takes the current habits and makes the gesture work any where any time.

Hmm, I kinda like this idea.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Spotlight in Notification Centre = Mega (L)!!!!

I would probably use it if it was there, right now I don't even touch it. I'd probably just launch apps using that actually.

Also love the idea of live widgets being on a scrollable page where spotlight was. Very clever Jare!

Jare

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

I would probably use it if it was there, right now I don't even touch it. I'd probably just launch apps using that actually.

Also love the idea of live widgets being on a scrollable page where spotlight was. Very clever Jare!

Thanks!

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

Ok, So you go and pitch a bitch fit about the other guy and then you lay claim to a idea you didn't come up with??

If widgets are going to be in the next big update. They need to be scrollable in spotlight.

if you need a link to your old thread....https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1313988/
post #98.

I'm not taking credit for either one of you guys works. I did nothing but make suggestions like everyone else.

I'm just calling you on your own BS you stared in the other thread. If you want credit for your "ideas" then you need to give credit for all of this forums "ideas" that gave you what you have now.

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I feel like this would an argument to put it in the notification center. Easily search no matter what page you were on.

I see. I think the side I'm on is that I already have a habit of using the Multitasking application switcher or just hitting the home button twice with pauses in between. I think it is also because I would not like the look of it in Notification Center. Perhaps only if it blended in with Notification Center's background rather than a white round oval box. If it was as such, I would absolutely want it to be in Notification Center. For users which wouldn't, like certain apps and widgets, they should be able to remove the search bar in Settings/Notifications/In Notification Center/.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Not quite sure, I'd rather release something that works then rush it to market.

That's true...
But in 4-6 months, apple's real iOS 6 will be there.

I wonder witch one will be first

(I hope yours, I can't waith to get a nice software upgrade)

ps: I've read your think you're at 20%, how long did you worked on that 20%?

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009

To me it seems conceptually wrong to put Spotlight in Notification Center because Spotlight has nothing to do with notifications at all.

Also, how is it easier or more convenient to swipe down, click in text box and then start typing, rather then swiping right and start typing? It's an added step. Why would putting it in Notification Center make you use it more?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I agree with liquidsuns. Keep Spotlight where it is now, and put widgets below it.

Make the close Xs bigger in NC. That's probably the most important UI tweak that needs to be done.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
To me it seems conceptually wrong to put Spotlight in Notification Center because Spotlight has nothing to do with notifications at all.

Also, how is it easier or more convenient to swipe down, click in text box and then start typing, rather then swiping right and start typing? It's an added step. Why would putting it in Notification Center make you use it more?

Gee I don't know. How about I can access one from any place in the OS vs one that requires you to be on the home screen, and page one for that matter. It's still an extra step to hit the home button to get there than just swipe down.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Gee I don't know. How about I can access one from any place in the OS vs one that requires you to be on the home screen, and page one for that matter. It's still an extra step to hit the home button to get there than just swipe down.

Good call, I didn't think of that. So your saying it's the process of pushing the home button that makes you not use it? And still, since you'd have to click the text box to search, it would still require the same amount of gestures that it currently does. But, many apps require a double swipe down to access Notification Center, so that would still actually be more gestures then it currently requires. Also....Spotlight has nothing to do with notifications.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
My idea was very similar to yours, but more along the lines of Notification Center and the "Dashboard" being customizable to cater a single persons usage needs. I think all "Widgets" should be placable in either notification center or the dashboard. With live icons, there would be no use for a weather widget, but notification center would benefit from it as "glanceable" information. I see no reason why the search bar can't exist in both places, if you are on the home screen, pushing he home button is easier, if you are in another app, the notification center is. Heck, a search bar right above the multitasking dock might make more sense. I think the idea of Noification Center is to not overly complicate it. It should provide just quick notifications.

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted

I wont believe until it comes out. Icloud needs to be more clear and easier to understand first!

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Good call, I didn't think of that. So your saying it's the process of pushing the home button that makes you not use it? And still, since you'd have to click the text box to search, it would still require the same amount of gestures that it currently does. But, many apps require a double swipe down to access Notification Center, so that would still actually be more gestures then it currently requires. Also....Spotlight has nothing to do with notifications.

Honestly, for me it's the process of going somewhere else to get to a new app. I would consider the notification centre more of a dashboard (I want quick reply to SMS available from the notification centre). I would also place it similar to where search is in iBooks, hidden above the top and when you reveal it, you can autofocus onto spotlight. So a max of three swipes from the top and you're ready to type, same as three home button pushes, but no leaving the current app.

Btw, I've never come across an app that requires a double swipe to get to notifications, what apps do that, or is it just a lag on your device?

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
Honestly, for me it's the process of going somewhere else to get to a new app. I would consider the notification centre more of a dashboard (I want quick reply to SMS available from the notification centre). I would also place it similar to where search is in iBooks, hidden above the top and when you reveal it, you can autofocus onto spotlight. So a max of three swipes from the top and you're ready to type, same as three home button pushes, but no leaving the current app.

Btw, I've never come across an app that requires a double swipe to get to notifications, what apps do that, or is it just a lag on your device?

I think he's referring to the 'double swipe' for full screen apps? I.e. you pull down once and it brings up the handle, then you grab the handle and pull that down to get to NC.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009

All games I've ever played make you do this. Lots of apps do actually, even iBooks on the iPad. When you swipe down, instead of NC coming down immediately like it does on the home screen, that little bottom handle peaks down and you have to pull it down with another gesture. This is to keep people from accidentally accessing NC while using an app.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Very nice concepts, and I LOL'd at the Mail and Messages stuff :D

Apple really should hire you, I'd like to see this kind of innovation in iOS!

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

This is the normal behavior for any app running in full screen (ie no bar at the top). The first time you swipe down in shows a tab. The you swipe that down to show the notification center.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Ah right, full screen games. I remember them now! (I'm not normally on games so it slipped my mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.