iOS 6 = iOS 5.2 ?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by johndallas999, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Their biggest feature is an updated map/navigation? Everything else was pretty much tweaks to existing stuff. That was a pretty lame update IMO. Hardly innovative. Jobs absence is starting to show.

2. macrumors newbie

Totally agree, was hoping for so much more

3. johndallas999, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012

thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Watched the keynote and yawned thru the whole thing. iPhone 4s adds only Siri and some hardware upgrades, iOS 6 again, minor updates. This stinks.

4. MonkeySee...., Jun 12, 2012

macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

If you think I was yawning at iOS6 then great. Unfortunately, I wasn't.

5. macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

6. macrumors regular

GoGa

"Jobs absence is starting to show." Yeah, becuase Steve Jobs came up with all the ideas for every iOS update . /s

Seriously get over it, with every single iOS update people always say how disappointing it is. I really don't know what you people were expecting.

7. macrumors 603

Menel

8. macrumors newbie

Maybe an update to the actual OS! Not just a few token added features. Facebook and Siri and the other bits and bobs are useful, but did they even look at upgading the OS itself? Doubt its to do with Jobs, but seriously, even the audience seemed a bit off when some of the features were announced.

9. Parise, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Parise

The fact that the audience erupted when they announced pull to refresh email goes to show how underwhelming it was.

----------

Apparently you don't know how the software world works. Major revision increments usually mean major updates.

What is it with Apple fans? Why do you guys get so defensive about this company?

10. macrumors 603

Warbrain

11. macrumors regular

I dont know what some people want of this iOS updates, i think the position of apple is correct, they have the best mobile platform in the market, the best customer satisfaction, why would they do a major chanfe to it they just have to keep it up to date, and that is what they are doing with this updates, remember that it is a mobile system, if you want a computer really portable one get a MBA.

Most of the users of iOS dont even use half its potential for them is just a phone or a music player at least that is the interesting market for apple, they need to keep things simple, if they made a complete overhoul each year there would be a slow learning curve each year and that would drop the customer satisfaction.

12. macrumors 68000

Calidude

Steve Jobs died so the Apple Executive team (aka Scum in Suits) decided to slow things down even more than usual.

13. macrumors 6502a

Parise

Your argument is a bad one, and goes against everything Apple touts their iPad as. Also your line stating "they need to keep things simple, if they made a complete overhaul..." goes against what a MAJOR revision IS. Anyone who heard "iOS 6" and thought, "Meh, it'll probably just be a few updates like pull to refresh email" is an f'n liar.

I love how all the comments in this thread that question the latest update have a negative rating. I love the company (Own 2 iPads, iPhone, 2 MBP's) but I can remain objective.

14. macrumors 6502a

Agreed OP.

I could are less about visual updates as many others want, but how about some increased functionality? Quick access to simple settings via notification center please? More effecient method of multitasking switching please? Limited widget/live tile functionality please?

WebOS is essentially dead so why can we just impliment slide up from bottom for multitasking yet? I've yet to see slide down from top (notifications) hinder normal touch functionality...

15. macrumors 6502a

Parise

Thank you.

Also, lets add an API that allows us to share ANYTHING between existing apps. Android has done this amazingly, would love to see iOS implement it.

Siri can tell me the score of the Giants game, but can't comprehend "Turn off wifi". I wouldve been 1000 times more excited if they demoed that.

16. xdxdaustin, Jun 12, 2012

macrumors regular

Hmm...I'm not quite sure if I agree. I have the developer version, and it feels snappier and there have been some pretty noticeable revisions to the UI. From what I have seen so far, the only thing that remains relatively untouched is the homescreen. I agree that the Siri enhancements probably weren't that hard to do, and I bet Facebook integration didn't take long either anyways, but I also think that a large amount of time was spent on the UI and Passbook. Don't get me wrong though, they definitely could have done more.

Just my 2 cents :D

17. kirky29, Jun 12, 2012

macrumors 65816

kirky29

In all honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I wanted/hoped to be.
    The two big things were Siri & Maps.

Could have added a few extra things to be honest, like camera settings, the panaroma feature they've had built in for awhile, Facebook messages in the messages app (I don't think it currently is set to do this?), quick-settings in notification center, more apps in folders, hide stock apps (certainly now that they've added yet another default app) and a few other things.

Nevermind though! Maybe they'll add some more throughout the beta....ios 5

People keep saying this update is bigger than iOS 5....I don't see how? iOS 5 gave us notification center, iMessage, PC Free, Reminders, Photo editing and so much more.........

18. macrumors 6502a

Parise

There's a panorama feature?!

----------

Also, am I the only one who liked the OLD app store better?!

19. macrumors regular

How great are the updates are, depends in what you use your device for, i do not defend apple, but it is hard to please all customers.

If you expect a major change every year, i think you have been disapointed several years in a row becouse only two of the iOS version change have been really major

20. macrumors 65816

kirky29

21. Parise, Jun 12, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Parise

I think the issue is, most of the general population of iPhone users expect a major change every year. I blame it on the media and their rumor mills.

Case in point, articles titled this: Next iOS update could be Apple's biggest in a long time

Its not only Apple that does it too, Android is also at fault for this. Going from Eclair to Gingerbread was pathetic at best.

----------

Holy crap, thanks!!!

22. macrumors member

agreed, iOS 5 changed the way you used your iPhone etc, iOS 6 wont.

23. riam, Jun 12, 2012

macrumors regular

yeah the media is altering the perspective of users, i am not saying that i am pleased with the updates, (i was expecting updated iMacs ) but the history of the updates has been this way and i don't think apple will change that

24. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I don't see what the big deal is. I love using my iPhone with iOS 5 as it is. iOS 6 stands to simply add to the functionality. I am happy with that.

Seems like everyone would rather completely relearn their iPhone every single year..

25. macrumors 6502a

Parise

This seems to be the fanboy credo.... "I don't see what the big deal is, therefore others shouldn't either."

All we're asking for is functionality that already exists. Is it so hard to add settings toggles to the notification menu? Or being able to download anything from safari? Or the ability to attach any kind of document to an email? Pretty sure none of these things come with a learning curve.