Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
with the almost identical hardware similarities between the first gen iPad and iPhone 4/3GS does anyone think its gonna ever be possible to hack iOS 6 onto the first Gen iPad?

Mine is currently running 5 and its fine no slow downs or anything nice and rather smooth, just a shame I cant run iOS 6 :(.

Your original iPad is running iOS 5 with no slowdowns?! Mine is incredibly slow compared to iOS 4, even with a fresh restore. What's your trick?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Hackers: exposing Apple's BS whenever they can.

I understand their BS. They don't want to give free services that cost them billions to people who didn't buy their products recently while they were making the services. That's fine by me, but it's clearly NOT a hardware limitation.

----------

There is no reason why iPhone 4 shouldn't support 3D maps.

Apple, if you won't give it, we'll take it from you!

This seems like borderline piracy, but I guess Apple DOES allow free download of the iOS that has this service, so you get to choose where to install it. I wonder if Apple has something like the "Mac OS only on Apple hardware" for this ("Flyover only on certain models")?

mute-posting

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
I wonder if the restrictions on turn-by-turn have anything to do with the new deal with TomTom for maps? After all, it cannibalises their app sales anyway and if it is built into iOS for everyone....

My iPhone 4 is 2 years old this month, I don't have a burning desire to upgrade probably until the 2013 iPhone update.

Siri on the 4S looks cool but not enough to upgrade a PERFECTLY good phone - this years iPhone would have to be more awesomely amazing over and above the 4S to get me to upgrade (although I do like the rumoured design)

Update:

I meant to add, the turn by turn is the only thing (so far) that may cause me to JB my 4, I'm not bothered about the 3D.
I have only just realised from this thread that street view is available in the current app - I have never got it to work myself (despite being in an area that is fully street-viewed by google)

As a 4S owner I still think its a dick move for them to lock out turn by turn on the 4. It looked like it was enabled by this jailbreak hack as well though, so hopefully that at least remains as an option.

And if it becomes publicized enough that 4 hardware is more than capable for turn by turn, maybe apple will have a "change of heart".

Giving turn by turn to every device that can run ios6 feels like the least they can do when they're asking us to adopt (aka beta test) their as-of-yet unproven mapping solution. And for anyone saying "just don't upgrade" its worth noting that many carriers will not support anything but the most recent operating software available for a device. Couple that with 3 year contracts in countries like Canada, and you aren't left with many choices are already locked in for a while with a 4.

Last edited:

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
StreetView

still gives Google Maps the edge. I just went out of state and used Street View to "drive by" the place I was going. A HUGE HELP to see it before you try and find it cold. I would be happy to leave Google completely but until Apple Maps have a comparable feature, I am still stuck with Google Maps. I also use Street View to check out places I have lived before and show my wife. Very cool!!

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
still gives Google Maps the edge. I just went out of state and used Street View to "drive by" the place I was going. A HUGE HELP to see it before you try and find it cold. I would be happy to leave Google completely but until Apple Maps have a comparable feature, I am still stuck with Google Maps. I also use Street View to check out places I have lived before and show my wife. Very cool!!

Sounds to me like we'll able to use both. It isn't as if it would be impossible to pop open Google Maps and use street view whenever I wanted, and use the new Maps for everything else. All Google really has to do is add street view to their maps mobile web app.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
with the almost identical hardware similarities between the first gen iPad and iPhone 4/3GS does anyone think its gonna ever be possible to hack iOS 6 onto the first Gen iPad?

Though iPad has a vastly larger display and many more pixels than the iPhone 3GS, engine may be the same but its powering a much heavier vehicle.

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
Hey...

Russia doesn't use big green highway signs like the USA does.

Perhaps something in blue?

Do any worldwide nav programs pay attention to details like this?

My TomTom standalone displays Autobahn signs in blue (which is realistic here in Germany).

Christian

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
With all these improvements to Siri does that mean we can actually use it in the UK for more than asking about the weather? I find it utterly stupid that I can not search for the nearest pub or restaurant. I mean what is the different between the US and the UK last time I checked we still spoke English of one form or another.

But I will be putting IOS6 onto my works iPhone long before I put it on my 4S, if at all.

Kimbie

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Your original iPad is running iOS 5 with no slowdowns?! Mine is incredibly slow compared to iOS 4, even with a fresh restore. What's your trick?

I also have an iPad 1 which is running 5.1.1 and isn't too bad. I feel like there is some slowness sometimes but mostly it works well. However, if I fill the storage up to nearly fully it gets really slow. I try and keep a couple of gigs free and it works much better. Get down to 400MB free as I did the other day and swapping aps and keyboard interaction get really sluggish.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Just like there's no valid reason for Apple to disable VIP mailboxes on the 3GS.

I gave Apple a pass on map but when I saw VIP not on 3GS blew my mind.

Is VIP some major Siri black voodoo magic or at least Apple thinks it is. :rolleyes:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom

just don't keep all the heavy memory apps open using multi-tasking, and I've had no issues whatsoever. Really wish you could turn it off to be honest, one of the features I never use and just wastes battery, and is a pain constantly closing on my 4S as well.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
just don't keep all the heavy memory apps open using multi-tasking, and I've had no issues whatsoever. Really wish you could turn it off to be honest, one of the features I never use and just wastes battery, and is a pain constantly closing on my 4S as well.

You don't have to constantly close apps, especially not on a 4S. It doesn't do anything except purge paused apps from RAM. Unless you are running apps and spawning background tasks with them (VOIP, Navigation) in which case it would be obvious.

The only thing I think it does on an iPad 1 is that if a new app launches, and the OS must purge other apps from RAM, sometimes the app you chose is forced to quit because it can not launch fast enough. I don't see how having apps paused in RAM uses any more battery than not (it's not like the iPad only needs to power portions of RAM that have an app in them).

hayhay

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
Texas
I guess I watched a different video than the people saying there is obviously no reason this shouldn't be supported on the 4...it didn't look like is was running very smooth to me...of course there could have been other apps running and or bandwidth issues...I just didn't think it looked all that smooth...but that's my opinion.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
You don't have to constantly close apps, especially not on a 4S. It doesn't do anything except purge paused apps from RAM. Unless you are running apps and spawning background tasks with them (VOIP, Navigation) in which case it would be obvious.

The only thing I think it does on an iPad 1 is that if a new app launches, and the OS must purge other apps from RAM, sometimes the app you chose is forced to quit because it can not launch fast enough. I don't see how having apps paused in RAM uses any more battery than not (it's not like the iPad only needs to power portions of RAM that have an app in them).

well thats what my experience is, why would I make it up? With apps like games left idling and then going onto the browser the iPad tends to be sluggish, when they are closed it speeds up and works as fast as the day I bought it.

Its not an issues in terms of speed on my 4S, but it does drain battery if tons are left open, but I already know this and when I'm done using an app I always close them down.

Red93

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Not having street view is going to anger a lot of customers. Most won't even know about it until after its installed. My parents use that feature probably more than any other feature on the iPad.

They were thinking of getting the "new" iPad, but now I will have to warn them about this.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
I also have an iPad 1 which is running 5.1.1 and isn't too bad. I feel like there is some slowness sometimes but mostly it works well. However, if I fill the storage up to nearly fully it gets really slow. I try and keep a couple of gigs free and it works much better. Get down to 400MB free as I did the other day and swapping aps and keyboard interaction get really sluggish.

Today I did a clean restore and set up the iPad as a "new iPad" instead of restoring from a backup. Wow. It is 90% as snappy as it was when it was new. Way better than previously. I'm going to be using it a lot more now.

harlequinn

macrumors member
May 6, 2011

Strangely enough there is a paper on power consumption of individual components in a mobile phone. Reading your comment made me wonder if there were any data available. See:

http://www.ssrg.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/Carroll_Heiser_10.pdf

This paper shows power usage of RAM in active, idle and suspend states on an Android phone. Active is RAM being actively utilised by an application. Idle is the phone fully awake but applications are not being actively used (but they are loaded). Suspend state is the phone shutting down to a low power mode, suspending all activities (what your phone does most of the time).

Quick summary is that in idle state the phone uses very little power to maintain RAM, but when in the suspend state it uses almost twice as much (from about 3mW to about 6mW). Even though it is doubling power usage, 6mW is still almost nothing compared to the other subsystems (cpu, gpu, audio, lcd, etc.) in these low power states.

An important point is that when active, RAM consumes considerably more power - as much as 90mW in their measurements.

Depending on the interface used, reading from and writing to flash memory can also use considerable power.

Admittedly this is not directly applicable to the iPhone, but it is a very good indicator.

I think you're both partly correct. Power usage in active and idle states will probably be nominally affected by the amount of memory being used and how it's being used. (i.e. it will be affected, but not by much)

MacDownunder

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Allow us to choose what to multitask

I too wish we could at least disable mutitasking or at least allow-diasllow apps as appropriate.

Some Apps I use infrequently and don't need to have them in background.

As for 3GS owners not wanting to update, lazy, and what ever else we've been called - I have a 3GS running 5.1.1 and it's quite usable - lags a bit but still functional, I've just realised it's only got 614MB free - so will clean some crap off and see what happens.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
well thats what my experience is, why would I make it up? With apps like games left idling and then going onto the browser the iPad tends to be sluggish, when they are closed it speeds up and works as fast as the day I bought it.

Its not an issues in terms of speed on my 4S, but it does drain battery if tons are left open, but I already know this and when I'm done using an app I always close them down.

Not saying you're lying, just saying it doesn't make much sense from what Apple says and how the OS is designed. And then it's not my experience. I'd be interested to know what accounts for the different experience though (you can watch a process list with Instruments or top (on a jailbroken device)) and suspended apps aren't using any CPU, and as long as the next app doesn't need more RAM than is available, nothing is done there either that's apparent (to me admittedly) from looking at the performance tools.

On the iPad 1, it's so RAM starved with iOS 5 that even browsing will cause it to go into "emergency mode" and start quitting everything possible in the background, and that seems to cause performance glitches when it needs to do it. So it stands to reason if you closed the couple of apps that are already suspended before the OS needs to, you won't hit that "mode" as soon or perhaps at all.

Maybe someone with the patience and knowhow should do some tests... Fit as many apps as possible in RAM on a 4S or something, and test battery life vs having no extra apps in RAM.

Strangely enough there is a paper on power consumption of individual components in a mobile phone. Reading your comment made me wonder if there were any data available. See:

http://www.ssrg.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/Carroll_Heiser_10.pdf

This paper shows power usage of RAM in active, idle and suspend states on an Android phone. Active is RAM being actively utilised by an application. Idle is the phone fully awake but applications are not being actively used (but they are loaded). Suspend state is the phone shutting down to a low power mode, suspending all activities (what your phone does most of the time).

Quick summary is that in idle state the phone uses very little power to maintain RAM, but when in the suspend state it uses almost twice as much (from about 3mW to about 6mW). Even though it is doubling power usage, 6mW is still almost nothing compared to the other subsystems (cpu, gpu, audio, lcd, etc.) in these low power states.

Are you sure the "suspend state" they are talking about in that article is the same thing that is meant when an iOS device has an app "suspended" in memory vs. not there? It seems odd to me that there would be any difference from the 0s and 1s from Note.app being written to an area of RAM vs that same area being marked "free" by the OS. I mean is it able to dynamically shut off individual bytes of memory just because the OS doesn't need them? I could see changing the state of an area of RAM would use more power than not. But then obviously I don't understand exactly how RAM state is maintained in terms of power usage.

Last edited:

harlequinn

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Are you sure the "suspend state" they are talking about in that article is the same thing that is meant when an iOS device has an app "suspended" in memory vs. not there? It seems odd to me that there would be any difference from the 0s and 1s from Note.app being written to an area of RAM vs that same area being marked "free" by the OS. I mean is it able to dynamically shut off individual bytes of memory just because the OS doesn't need them? I could see changing the state of an area of RAM would use more power than not. But then obviously I don't understand exactly how RAM state is maintained in terms of power usage.

The article's suspend state definition (Android OS) seems to be the same as in iOS - i.e. write to memory and shut all processes down - I'm not positive though. If you write an area to memory you need to keep track of it so there will be extra resources used there (a super small amount). I can't say positively that an empty memory state uses less power than a written memory state, but certainly having it active - reading and writing from it - uses lots of extra power. So i'd guess that having a full memory state uses more power than leaving it empty - but the amount of power used would be small.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I'm surprised Apple isn't enabling the 3D functionality on all iOS 6 devices as it is potentially the only thing that can come close to emulation Streetview. As it stands I haven't installed iOS 6 on my iPhone yet as I rely on the Maps app and the Streetview functionality. Bit of a problem as I'm trying to develop some apps!

Although I know Google is supposed to be releasing a stand alone maps application that will be the cure to the iOS 6 map application's limitations, I don't understand why they never bothered to add Streetview to it's iOS Google Earth app.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I'm surprised Apple isn't enabling the 3D functionality on all iOS 6 devices as it is potentially the only thing that can come close to emulation Streetview. As it stands I haven't installed iOS 6 on my iPhone yet as I rely on the Maps app and the Streetview functionality. Bit of a problem as I'm trying to develop some apps!

Although I know Google is supposed to be releasing a stand alone maps application that will be the cure to the iOS 6 map application's limitations, I don't understand why they never bothered to add Streetview to it's iOS Google Earth app.

If Google is able to, they should at least add Street View to the web app. Then it wouldn't even have to go through Apple's approval. I'll probably be using the web app for transit directions if there isn't anything decent by the time iOS 6 ships.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If Google is able to, they should at least add Street View to the web app. Then it wouldn't even have to go through Apple's approval. I'll probably be using the web app for transit directions if there isn't anything decent by the time iOS 6 ships.

My worry is that Google will be slow to release their app as they don't exactly have an incentive - it is only good for them if iOS 6 comes out and has poor mapping functionality. It's not as if Google have been in a rush to add 3D buildings and street view functionality to their Google Earth app or retina support for their web app... :(

Apple seem to be making a big hoo-ha about the 3D functionality and turn-by-turn instructions. The 3D functionality could be great but Google has already said they plan on adding it to their own products and the turn-by-turn feature seems irrelevant. Anyone who actually relies on turn-by-turn navigation will already have bought one of the quality navigation applications like TomTom.

Apple's iOS 6 maps app looks to be about as useful as Ping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.