iOS 7.1.2 to Address Mail, Lock Screen, iBeacon Issues in Coming Weeks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nearly a month ago, we noted that Apple was apparently working on iOS 7.1.2, as revealed in our web logs by the appearance of visits from devices running the operating system version on Apple's networks.

At the time, we had no information on what the update would include, but suggested it was likely to include fixes for an email attachment encryption issue and problems for users leaving iOS for a different platform trying to disassociate their phone numbers from iMessage. In both cases, Apple acknowledged that it was working on fixes for the issues that would be included in a future software update, and iOS 7.1.2 will be the first public update released since those statements.

MacRumors has now learned that Apple is indeed nearing a public release of iOS 7.1.2 and has begun seeding carrier partners with a version of it, termed build 11D257. Apple has apparently asked carriers to sign off on the update by Friday, June 27, indicating that a public release could occur the following week.

[​IMG]
    According to sources, the build of iOS 7.1.2 does indeed address the email attachment encryption issue, as well as a bug in downloading emails. Also included in the update is a fix for a lock screen vulnerability that could allow access to "limited apps". While we can't say for certain, Apple may be referring to the "missed call" lock screen bug publicized earlier this month.

Finally, iOS 7.1.2 is said to include both improvements to iBeacon connectivity and a bug fix related to data transfer with third-party accessories such as bar code scanners. There is no explicit mention of any fixes for iMessage, but they may still be quietly included in the release.

[​IMG]
    Visits to MacRumors.com from devices running iOS 7.1.2
    Since the first appearance of iOS 7.1.2 in our web logs back in mid-May, traffic from devices running the upcoming operating system has increased fairly gradually with the exception of a spike on the day of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.

Article Link: iOS 7.1.2 to Address Mail, Lock Screen, iBeacon Issues in Coming Weeks

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors regular

MR does fair bit of snooping on who visits ... learning from google eh ? :p:p:p

4. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I expected only bug fixes since IOS 8 will be out soon.

5. macrumors 6502

Email

When are we going to get back the ability to dump bulk emails, like you could in iOS 6?!

6. macrumors newbie

How do I switch off iBeacon ? - does leaving the bluetooth off do it or do I need to go further ?

7. macrumors 65816

"There is no explicit mention of any fixes for iMessage, but they may still be quietly included in the release."

8. macrumors 6502

jmh600cbr

It is very cool to me that the devs at apple visit this site

9. macrumors regular

andreiru

10. macrumors 68000

It's why I complain here. I figure it'll get at least a few eyeballs. I would be wise for management to follow these forums also, though I doubt they do. I've seen so many companies go under for failing to address forum complaints, even going back to the days of Usenet, and before that dialup BBSes and fidonet.

11. macrumors P6

Generally x.y.z release are bug fix releases even when the next minor (x.y) or major (x.0) release isn't on the horizon yet.

12. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Yeah thats awesome. I hope they look at the forums.

----------

The problem with the graph is I don't know how many devices were talking here. Remember in math they said EVERY graph needs to have the Y axis labeled?

13. macrumors 65816

Me too. I'm sure they could use a good laugh every once in a while.

14. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

That's a relief, even though i don't use iBeacons

15. macrumors P6

In general, yes, that's usually true, however in cases like this where the graph is there to demonstrate some increase or decrease it's not as important as it's the relevant/comparative increase/decrease which can be seen visually without specific numbers which is important.

16. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

17. macrumors 68000

OMG is that still broken?!?! I don't use it but a friend tried to do it back in January and it turned into a two day nightmare. "Just works." lol

18. macrumors 68020

jbachandouris

Coming in weeks? Isn't that what we've been hearing for weeks already?

19. macrumors 68030

iPhil

To what devices? AppleTv / iPhone / iPad ?

20. macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I love b. too:D

21. macrumors 68000

22. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Yeah but I still want to know how many, this could be a few it could be millions. I don't know.

23. macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

I just hope there's a jailbreak for it. I need to get past 7.0.4 eventually. :)

24. macrumors 65816

CarlosQG

Hopefully an update to address most bugs for people who will stick with the iPhone 4 for some more time.

25. macrumors 6502

Does iOS 8 take away your reason(s) for jailbreaking?