Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
liking the improvements but apple let us jailbreak .. come on

iOS devices are know for their protection against outside attack. I hear that less than 1% of all attacks on phones and tablets happen to Apple devices. Begging Apple to remove these protections is unfathomable.

Rooster411

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2013
Was hoping they were going to go back to the old phone app designs. Or at least give us full screen contact pics when dialing or receiving calls. The whole point of having contact pics is so their beautiful faces pop up so we can see them. Not the tiny little bubble icon in beta 4 and 5.
The round call/decline buttons are not my favorites either...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They don't "got to", as it could be moved to a more logical place. Especially when the text/sms keyboard doesn't have it. And really, home many times are people even putting in .com in their searches? And how hard is it to either shift the keyboard or do the double tap shortcut.
Because the unified address bar is also used to put URLs into it, and periods are used for URLs like, well, in multiple places in each case.

----------

Was hoping they were going to go back to the old phone app designs. Or at least give us full screen contact pics when dialing or receiving calls. The whole point of having contact pics is so their beautiful faces pop up so we can see them. Not the tiny little bubble icon in beta 4 and 5.
The round call/decline buttons are not my favorites either...
Getting back full screen contact pictures for calls would definitely be good.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I 100% agree. I struggle with the shift key a TON

Same here. What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't have the shift key white like all the others. Then make the arrow black when it's pressed. Make the entire key darken (as it now is normally) when it's locked. To me, that seems much more intuitive.

I do like the idea of having lower case and upper case letters. Seems like a simple thing to do that would make it even more intuitive.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do people actually exist that can't tell when the shift key is on? ROFL No wonder people need to be able to change every setting known to man. I must be a genius because since I've had the first generation of iPhone, I have NEVER wondered, hey is the shift key on?
Probably because it was that much clearer in the pre-iOS 7 keyboard that is now essentially black and white rather than using some color.

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
Also, when you're thumb-typing, your thumb is usually obscuring the shift key in its entirety most of the time. If the characters changed to reflect their state (lower or upper case), it would be a piece of cake, and you wouldn't have to look at the shift key to know if you're in lower-case, upper-case or caps-lock.

The place where i find it MOST annoying is when entering passwords.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
I don't think anything that you said is true, the Slide to Unlock is the same, and they didn't change blur or keyboard transparency. As far as I can see anyway.

The slide to unlock text is definately different from beta 4, more inline with the text on the current stable release (lighter than the wallpaper, as opposed to darker and bolder in beta 4). It's also got less blur (but still some blur) than before.

Was just wandering about the settings app on iPad... not sure if it actually is.

And yeah, don't think the transparency is different to the previous 7.1 beta, but it's defo different from the iOS 7.0 builds...

Slide to Unlock in b5:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 107

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
The slide to unlock text is definately different from beta 4, more inline with the text on the current stable release (lighter than the wallpaper, as opposed to darker and bolder in beta 4). It's also got less blur (but still some blur) than before.

Was just wandering about the settings app on iPad... not sure if it actually is.

And yeah, don't think the transparency is different to the previous 7.1 beta, but it's defo different from the iOS 7.0 builds...

This is what it was like in b4 (on iPad so can't attach more than one image to a post):

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 96

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
That seems like a silly thing to say. Of course Apple DON'T want you to be jailbreaking your iPhone. They want you to use it as they intended. Apple will never support jailbreaking and will probably do what they can for as long as they can to stop it/make it very hard.

But when they have serious bugs in their software, patching one, never mind two jailbreak exploits seems very trivial. They have bigger things to be fixing. Once your software is solid, them stop the jailbreakers.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
There had better be more to these recent betas and just keyboard UI fixes. I can't believe this is what we have been waiting for all this time, design tweaks.

This is a perfect example of a place where down votes make sense. The current releases of iOS are very buggy, the primary focus of any update should be stabilization with everything else a much lower priority.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But when they have serious bugs in their software, patching one, never mind two jailbreak exploits seems very trivial. They have bigger things to be fixing. Once your software is solid, them stop the jailbreakers.
Considering the bugs that jailbreaks exploit are of security nature and can be abused it seems that--security issues--would actually be at the top if the list to address, not so much because of jailbreak but because they can be exploited in general.

----------

This is a perfect example of a place where down votes make sense. The current releases of iOS are very buggy, the primary focus of any update should be stabilization with everything else a much lower priority.
And those kinds of fixes and optimizations are in fact a large part of what's included in 7.1. So what's the issue with that again?

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Why are there spaces between the buttons of the keyboard? They were supposed to go away from skewmorphism (sp.). Why waste space between keyboard keys simply to make the buttons smaller and harder to hit? Just have a line between each key and make them bigger!

I don't give a crap about caps lock. I know when it's on and when it isn't. The typo's from the button layout are another subject. I didn't even realize this was such a problem until apps that incorporate the old keyboard became a breath of fresh air. It isn't completely fixed in the old layout, but I find that my typos are reduced greatly.

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
am i the only one who had no idea it was even possible to caps lock before reading this post? now i feel dumb, remembering all those times i hit the shift key before each letter with such needless patience. if only they could incorporate an italics button, so i wouldn't have to use all caps for times of sarcasm. then i'd truly be happy.

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
Why are there spaces between the buttons of the keyboard? They were supposed to go away from skewmorphism (sp.). Why waste space between keyboard keys simply to make the buttons smaller and harder to hit? Just have a line between each key and make them bigger!

I don't give a crap about caps lock. I know when it's on and when it isn't. The typo's from the button layout are another subject. I didn't even realize this was such a problem until apps that incorporate the old keyboard became a breath of fresh air. It isn't completely fixed in the old layout, but I find that my typos are reduced greatly.

i don't believe getting rid of the visual space between keys would give you any more room to tap the individual keys. in fact, getting rid of the space would more likely invite people to tap closer to the edges of other keys and inadvertently mistype. the spaces are not skeumorphism, they are needed to define the boundaries. some people with less than perfect vision certainly benefit from the well defined space between keys, where otherwise it might just look like a large paragraph of evenly spaced letters.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I wish they would bring back either the .com button or the separate search field in safari. Preferably both, but just one would save a lot of time/keystrokes.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wish they would bring back either the .com button or the separate search field in safari. Preferably both, but just one would save a lot of time/keystrokes.
Not the .com key with the current layout, way too many typos that way as was the case in early iOS 7 betas. You can get .com and the like by long pressing the period key now.

----------

What does the shift key even do?
Is that a real question?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Forget Siri sounding better, I'd be grateful if she, ahem *HE* for us Brits could simply understand a single word I said. Not that this is a new problem...

Siri is much improved in 7.1. You can change the gender (in the UK too), and speech recognition seems faster and more accurate from my experience.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Never had problems with the keyboard since the 3GS. Some of guys are so picky.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Do people actually exist that can't tell when the shift key is on? ROFL No wonder people need to be able to change every setting known to man. I must be a genius because since I've had the first generation of iPhone, I have NEVER wondered, hey is the shift key on?

Goodie for you, son. But when you graduate you'll find that not everybody is the same as you. In all the prior iterations of iOS (and iPhone OS) it was very easy to discern since the key used a blue color. now it's light gray and dark gray -- my mother is new to iOS with 7 being her first, and cannot tell which is which. Half the time I can't either...

Solomoncohen

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
I am a constant user of iCal, one of the features that were available in iOS 6 was that any all day event would show up in notification centre but since I've updated to iOS 7 till the latest update 7.0.5 it's been removed. I thought it might be a bug but obviously it is something that has just been overlooked. Any all day event that you have doesn't show up in the today view in notification centre, if the event is limited to certain hours in the day it will show up in today view but not if it is a all day event. This is extremely frustrating for many people I know.

Can someone who has updated to iOS 7.1 beta 5 tell me if it's fixed?

Thank you

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Not the .com key with the current layout, way too many typos that way as was the case in early iOS 7 betas. You can get .com and the like by long pressing the period key now.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. I still would like the dedicated button though, and the separate search field. I swear to god, the damn thing did a search when I typed in websitename.com (can't remember the website actual name) once. Seriously, why would they change this? Wish they would change it back. In osx version as well. It wastes so much time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. I still would like the dedicated button though, and the separate search field. I swear to god, the damn thing did a search when I typed in websitename.com (can't remember the website actual name) once. Seriously, why would they change this? Wish they would change it back. In osx version as well. It wastes so much time.
The change is because of a single combined address/search field basically, which seems to be the trend in browsers these days.

----------

I am a constant user of iCal, one of the features that were available in iOS 6 was that any all day event would show up in notification centre but since I've updated to iOS 7 till the latest update 7.0.5 it's been removed. I thought it might be a bug but obviously it is something that has just been overlooked. Any all day event that you have doesn't show up in the today view in notification centre, if the event is limited to certain hours in the day it will show up in today view but not if it is a all day event. This is extremely frustrating for many people I know.

Can someone who has updated to iOS 7.1 beta 5 tell me if it's fixed?

Thank you
That hasn't changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.