Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I'd like to be able to disable iOS downloads when connected to WiFi.

We are going to Europe next summer, and are renting a MiFi device to support 2 iPhones, and iPad, and a laptop. A full iOS download would wipe out several days of our bandwidth allocation.

I know how to disable application updates. But, I currently can't disable the automatic iOS download.

iOS updates should only download when connected to wifi AND an external power source. I would suggest putting your device in Airplane mode while it is charging.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Did they have live streaming last year? Not 100% sure myself on what would be required seeing the changes listed with each of the betas. However, I wouldn't put it past Apple that they have a few undocumented changes that are internal to the OS. Possible H.265 support? (Not saying that is so but just throwing out random possible ideas).

No no. There was live stuff. I was able to watch a bunch of concerts at work. It was in the afternoon here. Just put the iPad up near the monitor, and... :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I dont see this as much to talk about, the updates now are so tiny, Im almost wondering if theres a full large team working on iOS 7 and if so what are everyone doing? I´m guessing apple spend 5 people for a month to decide of a slide to unlock should go left or right or if there should be a 1 or 2 pixel bevel on an icon. (oh wait now they don´t even have bevels anymore, I guess some teams have a long nice holiday ;) )

How about Siri update for more languages ? That would many appreciate I´m sure. Siri aint done until they support the languages they have in the OS.
'm just seeing a lot of visual updates. What happened to functionality?
Instead of new icons how about smarter and more manageable multi-tasking?
How about a Siri that doesn't leave me hanging for so long that I start typing before it's ready?

Who cares about a silly icon.
You might want to actually look into what's getting addressed in the update to see that the visual changes (despite being the most visible simply by their nature) are just the smaller part of it all.

ahoover

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
I hope this fixes the respringing issue on IOS 7. Running 7.0.6 on new iPhone 5S. Did all of the recommended debug fixes, no joy. This is becoming annoying.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
iOS updates should only download when connected to wifi AND an external power source. I would suggest putting your device in Airplane mode while it is charging.

I thought that external power was also required, but I wasn't sure.

However, putting it in Airplane mode during charging is a problem. The phones won't be able to receive iMessages during that period, cutting them off from family back in the US. SMS messages can still be received, but at a significant cost. I'm considering buying a bundle of them, but international SMS is not reasonably priced on AT&T.

We will also be carrying a battery the size of a pack of cigarettes to recharge the phones during the day, and that's not distinguishable from an external wall charger.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Apple's made major changes to the MediaPlayer API, I bet this app uses at least some of the changes.

Whooooaaaa....slow down there fella. We don't use terms like 'API' on Macrumors. WAY over people's heads.

Comments like: "software update for a festivus? how dumb11!"....are far more appropriate.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Still does the crashing respringing on me on Beta 5

Hmm..strange... I'm running 7.1 B5 on 4 iOS devices [ 5th Gen iPod, iPad Air, iP5S, and iP5 ] and it has been rock solid. I honestly cannot recall the last time Safari or the App Store crashed or the device re-sprung.

Have you tried a re-install ?

On the iPod and iP5S, I did the incremental updates as released from Apple for devs, and clean install of the Beta 5 [ Build: 11D5145e ]on the Air and iP5.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
'm just seeing a lot of visual updates. What happened to functionality?
Instead of new icons how about smarter and more manageable multi-tasking?
How about a Siri that doesn't leave me hanging for so long that I start typing before it's ready?

Who cares about a silly icon.

I've noticed Siri works better off of my LTE connection than my cable connection. I'm thinking the issue is the software, so maybe 7.1 will surprise us.

pitabox987

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Armidale, NSW
I think I'll only subject my iPad to 7.1 at the moment. — My old 4S is quite stable on 6.1.3, last thing I need is a rushed update screwing with my iPhone...

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, and London Grammar kick off the SXSW iTunes Festival with a performance on March 11 that begins at 7:30 PM CST.

If it's March 11, that would be CDT, not CST. We set our clocks forward this Sunday.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
if nexus 5 had imessage and itunes id switch today

the iphone is becoming like blackberry ala 2010 - when people stuck with it because it had bbm

Sounds like you missed the conversation about how Android has stagnated for years while Apple is still pushing the innovation envelope with things like iBeacons, 64 bit processors, motion coprocessors, dual flash, state of the art hardware designs, a fingerprint sensor that actually works, swipe to go back (a major UI advance); not to mention, many of these technologies are just laying the groundwork for future conveniences and capabilities.

All the while, KK and N5 brought us....

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Whooooaaaa....slow down there fella. We don't use terms like 'API' on Macrumors. WAY over people's heads.

Comments like: "software update for a festivus? how dumb11!"....are far more appropriate.

Hahaha, that gave me a good laugh cos it's so true!

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Sounds like you missed the conversation about how Android has stagnated for years while Apple is still pushing the innovation envelope with things like iBeacons, 64 bit processors, motion coprocessors, dual flash, state of the art hardware designs, a fingerprint sensor that actually works, swipe to go back (a major UI advance); not to mention, many of these technologies are just laying the groundwork for future conveniences and capabilities.

All the while, KK and N5 brought us....

Swipe to go back is probably one of my favorite things on my iOS devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nonsense (Unless it's changed in 7.1)
Goto to Settings>iTunes & App Store and turn off auto updates, even turn on cellular downloads if u wish (upto 100MB I believe).
That doesn't apply to iOS updates (only app updates and the like).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.