iPhone iOS 7 - Activation Error

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kingoftherolex, Aug 6, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hi everybody, I have a small problem.

I tried restoring my iphone to ios 7 beta 4 instead of downgrading and then upgrading, and now my phone is stuck on the activation error. I have tried putting it in DFU and restoring, but it isn't working.

Does anybody know anything I can do to fix this?

I have an iPhone 5.

2. macrumors 603

Carlanga

get a dev account (should be very cheap for the King of Rolex :p ) or DFU and restore to official firmware for the populace.

3. macrumors newbie

If your not part of the developer program you will need to restore to iOS 6.

4. thread starter macrumors member

see that's the thing though, I downloaded the IPSW for 6.1.4 and I keep selecting it and it says "you are not eligible for the current build number"

5. macrumors newbie

Have you downloaded the correct version for the model of phone you have. I'd recheck and confirm the version you have as the process you are following to downgrade is correct.

6. macrumors 603

Carlanga

You prob downloaded the wrong version. Make sure is the one for your phone.

7. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Are you a registered iPhone developer? Not just enrolled but registered and paid your $99 your fee. If not then you must restore back to 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 depending on your device. Hopefully you have a backup saved on iTunes or in iCloud from iOS 6 and not iOS 7. Otherwise, you won't get any of your information back.

8. thread starter macrumors member

okay, it appeared I had the right one but I am currently redownloading the correct IPSW just to be safe. I really hope this does it.

9. macrumors 603

Carlanga

If you have any issues DFU + Restore as NEW.

10. thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I definitely have the right one. I have iOS 6.1.4 for GSM (I have AT&T). and I put my phone into DFU, it shows up in iTunes as recovery, and when I try to restore (by using the option button, and selecting the ipsw) it says this iPhone isn't eligible for this build number.

----------

That is what I am doing. I am considering taking it into the Apple store and saying it is stuck in DFU and won't restore to iOS 6.1.4

11. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Each iPhone has a different 6.1 so make sure you are downloading the specific one for the model specific. IMO just let iTunes download it for you instead of an outside link

12. macrumors newbie

Done a quick search and only other option is an out of date version of itunes could be causing the problem.

13. macrumors regular

Make sure your host file hasn't been edited (may have been if you have ever jail broken your phone or used tiny umbrella to edit stuff)

You may have to use TinyUmbrella to force the software back onto your phone if you are 100% sure it's the right version for your iPhone 5.

14. thread starter macrumors member

Is there any 3rd party software I can use for restoring an iPhone that is in DFU?

I am not interested in the back up atm, just in getting my phone to work.

----------

How would I use TinyUmbrella to do that?

and this phone has never been jailbroken.

15. macrumors newbie

This should pretty much do it for you.

16. thread starter macrumors member

I have tried that, I have tried just plugging it in and hitting restore. sadly, that is not working :(

17. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Don't use the option + restore method. Try just plugging in the iPhone in DFU mode and single click restore. iTunes should download the correct ipsw bundle for your phone and install it. Since you mentioned the activation error I'm assuming you had iOS 7 beta 4 but never got past the activation screen. In that case, if you take it to an Apple store even in DFU mode it's visually different from DFU mode in iOS 6 so there might be a chance that they refuse to help you because they don't official perform support for iOS 7 yet. Also, before restoring, I suggest you download the latest version of iTunes and install it.

----------

Can you post a screenshot of your iPhone tab in iTunes when you plug it in? You should blur sensitive info like the serial though before posting.

----------

Even if you personally never used TinyUmbrella or jailbroke your phone there is still a chance that another user on the computer might have. Just to be sure, you should check your Host file to get that possibility out of the way.

18. thread starter macrumors member

Here's a screenshot of my iphone tab
    [​IMG]

and here's a screenshot of my error message
    [​IMG]

----------

how would I do this and what should I be doing?

19. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Follow the steps in this video to get access to your host file. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw55UBv79X8
    Typically you shouldn't have any entries except for maybe a local host entry. If I'm not mistaken tiny umbrella will add an entry with the Apple website name in it.

20. thread starter macrumors member

Resolved

Thanks to everybody that participated in this thread, I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

In the end it turned out my host files were the problem and I got it sorted. Once again, thanks everybody! :)

21. macrumors 603

Carlanga

don't click option+restore, just left click restore ONCE and let iTunes download the ipsw.

hosts files have nothing to do with this simple problem.

22. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

As the OP mentioned in the post above, his issue was related to the Host file.

----------

Cheers!

23. macrumors 65816

Want300

I am having a similar issue, maybe someone here can shed some light on it for me. I am a registered developer, I have my UDID registered for my iPhone 5 and successfully used iOS 7 Beta's 1-3.

While using Beta 4 (a couple of days in), my phone "unactivated" I guess is the best way to put it. The screen turned black, and I saw the apple screen in the middle of typing a message (which happened to me quite a few times with the beta's). When it came back on, it had an activation error. I followed all the instructions, but could not get my phone working. I was leaving for a trip to Napa and had no time to deal with it properly.

Eventually, I was able to get it back to 6.1.4 using DFU mode and the IPSW for 6.1.4

Now, when I try to reload the Beta, I get error 4027. Anyone have any advice on overcoming this issue?

24. macrumors 65816

Want300

Here is an image:

Attached Files: