iOS 7 and autocorrect

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DDustiNN, Jun 19, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2011
    Has anyone had any issues with the autocorrect? Mine keeps doing some really weird things. Like adding extra spaces every now and then, and most annoyingly, autocorrecting the previous [and already correct] word.

For example, earlier I was typing "this is unacceptable". I typed "this", then "is", and both were displayed perfectly fine. Then while typing "unacceptable", it only showed me an autocorrect suggestion of "of acceptable", thinking for some reason that "is" was the incorrect word and completely overwriting it. No... I don't want to change that word, as it was already correct!

Has anyone else run into this? It's been happening quite frequently over the past few days. Just wondering if I should report it as a bug.
  2. macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2012
    Both of the things you mentioned have happened to me. I didn't really think about it at the time but I think you're right that it's a bug. I've haven't had either happen to me on iOS 6.
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2009
    San Francisco-Twin Peaks
    happens to me also. i think it is a bug and i have reported it.
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2010
  5. macrumors member

Jan 29, 2011
    I didn't experience that exact thing, but yesterday my auto correct quit working. It wouldn't attempt to correct anything, including the automatic capitalization of "I" and changing "youre" to "you're". I restarted the phone and that seems to have fixed the problem.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I've had the problems outlined in the first post, and this problem too. The autocorrect feature is still a mess. Hopefully it's corrected in Beta 2 (on Monday *crosses fingers*)
  7. macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2013
    Have any of you considered that the American language is just incorrect, and that Jony Ive is one of my fellow Brits, ergo, knows the correct spelling of words?

:D :p
  8. macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2010
    No, because 'this is of acceptable' doesn't work in British English either.
  9. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    No, because the corrections auto correct is making doesn't work in "correct" English. There is no language, that I am aware of, where correcting a properly spelled word and replacing it with a misspelled word, is accurate.
  10. macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA

Have you considered that neither British English nor American English are "correct" nor "incorrect" but, rather, different?

British spelling "aesthetic", and American spelling "esthetic", are correct, each in their own setting.

So you, and your countrymen, spelling the word "aesthetic" would be incorrect in the US, and correct in the UK.

A bit of knowledge of cultural differences is very useful. A few moments study would reveal just oodles of good information.:D
  11. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    American English is proper for Americans, while British English is proper for the British. As already stated above, it's not right nor wrong - it's different on a cultural level.

Additionally, are you implying that Jony Ive never misspells words?
  12. macrumors 6502a

Aug 3, 2010
    Upstate NY
    That's interesting, I have never ever seen it spelled that way. It has always been aesthetic.
  13. macrumors 603

Sep 4, 2011
    I don't think it's a bug. It's corrected previous words for me and each time they've been right.
  14. Shrink, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    My post above is incorrect!:eek:

I followed my own advice, and did a bit of study to find my error.

Please substitute "flavour", British spelling, and "flavor", American spelling. Or "colour" and "color".

My apologies for my error with "aesthetic". However, the main point remains...cultural differences.
  15. macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2011
    Trying not to be dramatic but auto-correct is destroying my life. In addition to the simple fact that it's a beta, I think they've implemented a new system. I do not like it - at all.
  16. macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2013
    I thought I was going nuts!

This is happening and frequently. Seems when composing tweets in Twitterrific it is especially aggressive.

It will autocorrect but then add a space then the last few characters of the corrected word.
  17. macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Yeah this happened to me today.. Kk became to lol.. Just wtf?
  18. macrumors member

Mar 15, 2013
    Autocorrect doesn't work very well at all now. It's hit or miss. Some words are fixed whereas others are made worse!

Don't get me started on typing in certain web pages. The phone can't even keep up sometimes! Never had that before. :-/