iOS 7 battery life better than iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Osullivan1, Aug 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

So after just under a week of using beta 4, I've come to the conclusion that battery life on iOS7 is better than on iOS6.

A day using iOS6 on my iPhone 5 would usually leave the battery on around 30-40% depending on how much I used it.

However on iOS7 (beta 4) my battery life seems to be greatly improved. Not once this week has my battery fallen below 50%, and today when I plugged it into charge it was on 66%.

I reckon the fact that I have Reduced Motion turned on is partly the reason, but has anyone else found that battery life is better than iOS6?

2. macrumors 6502

I've already posted about this, but yes. Battery life in beta 4 with zero battery saving tricks is better than all previous betas and iOS 6.

I wasn't expecting that at all...

3. macrumors 603

Well lucky you, because many of us are still experiencing battery life which is worse than 6.1.4.

4. macrumors member

I actually got 10 hours of usage with 12 hours standby on the latest full charge on ios 7. I think that's pretty decent.

5. macrumors member

Not even close. Battery life is MISERABLE on 7b4. Lucky if I get 5 hours usage and that is with a completely clean install.

6. macrumors member

It depends on a number of factors and what services you have turned on or off. I get excellent battery life on my Beta 4 iPhone 5 but everyone's mileage will vary.

Regardless, if you don't have a bunch of auto updates and push notifications turned on, you can expect equal, if not better, better performance compared to iOS6 in iOS7.

I think that's a pretty damn good accomplishment when you consider all the new features. And it's even better if the leaks are correct and the new iPhone will indeed have a battery with a 10% increase in size.

7. macrumors newbie

I am at my caravan without service at the moment. Only having wifi. Usually I'd have had to place the phone in airplane mode or suffer dreadful power drain of about 60 % overnight while my phone would continually search if a signal on iOS 6. On iOS7 it's much improved. Since yesterday afternoon until this morning, airplane mode has been off and my phone constantly searching fir a signal. I still have 69% battery life left. #

8. macrumors regular

Yes, mine is way better than 6.1.4.

There's no turning back for me now - love iOS7 :)

9. macrumors 6502

Now that I read a bit more, I do have some things off that may be battery saving:

I don't push any mail, I have it Fetch every 30. All auto-updates and auto-downloads are off.

I don't use constant-on Location using apps - like Google Now, Dropbox auto-upload, etc.

I don't allow non-essential apps into the Notifications center, but nearly all apps have at least Banners swinging and the more serious ones have Alerts.

That's about it! Nothing else is restricted, as I do want a full experience. I'm amazed at the battery life, and I'm impressed with the quick progress Apple has made so far.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm the same as this, plus using Reduce Motion, but I used all these same settings (minus Reduce Motion obviously) in iOS 6 and my battery life is still way better than 6. Very happy with how iOS 7 is progressing!

11. macrumors 6502a

tarasis

It was better under B1-3, B4 has been draining quickly on iPhone for me.

12. macrumors 603

I have the same things turned off as you guys and my battery on 6.1.4 is still better than what I get with beta 4.

13. macrumors P6

As always, beta or not, iOS 7 or not, battery life is often different for different people and even at different times and different places.

14. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

No way does b4 give better battery life than a polished ios6. It's not even better than b3

15. batting1000, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

macrumors 603

This. I don't understand how people are getting battery life better than iOS 6. I'm not doing anything special

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors 68000

NovemberWhiskey

I've been on iOS 6 (all versions) and 7b1, and 7b4.

here is my ranking:

ios 6.1.4 > 7b4 >>>>> 7b1

18. macrumors 6502

Beta 4 is AMAZING on my battery. I have never been able to really get full usage out of my phone for an entire day. Bought a battery case and everything to solve that problem.

Beta 4 retired the case. I can go the entire day, and usually still be above the 20% by the time I plug into the wall.

Normal day of usage

Normal social media usage (twitter, fb, Instagram)

If I'm driving I've been using the maps app just to see the changes.

Most days an hour at the gym. Music and nike running all going for the majority of the time.

Not too crazy with texting but it's a part of each day obviously.

Email is not set to push but I do check it and send out multiple a day.

Loving iOS 7 beta 4 battery life! I hope this is signs of an amazing GM battery life.

----------

Yes way. HUGE difference. No comparison really.

19. macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

I think it largely depends on people and how people using their phones. For me, i haven't notice too much of battery difference. When I am using iPad, i follow my usual usage pattern, book reading, web broswing, watching video online. For most party, battery life isn't changed much.

Other reason that I don't notice much change is because I always keep my iPad pluged most of time. I have habbit of plug in when it reach to 50%. I cannot let my iPad below 50% of battery for some unexplianed reason.

20. macrumors 6502

21. macrumors regular

In my opinion the whole battery issue seems to be a mentality issue. There are some who may truly have problems with their battery life but the rest might be using their phones more than usual. iOS 7 is something new and everyone wants to use it constantly because.. Well it's something new!
    I'm getting the same battery life on iOS 6 and iOS 7. If you use your phone the same way then your battery will most likely last the same as iOS 6. Once again , that's my opinion

22. macrumors 65816

Switchback666

My only gripe is my 4s its going off at 10% most of the time :confused: i do notice better battery life considering i have my brightness a but higher plus 5 emails pushing and a damm load of push apps.

23. macrumors newbie

develop the habit of fully charging and discharging ur phone then it wont go off before 1 or 2%