Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
To answer everyone's question on the availability of the GM release, it will be available for download all over the web just like Beta 1 is now. There's no need to register as a developer unless you have software you need to test.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
In trying to make a point that it could be out anytime and no one can really say otherwise.

Yes, that is what you're saying, but when you're mentioning the possibility of it being this week you're building peoples hopes up that there will be a beta 2 this week (I know it shouldn't, but there are far too many naive people who believe anything they read). By posting that it could be this week, all you're going to get on Friday night is "but you said it'd be out this week" "this guy said it would be out this week" "Apple are crazy, why didn't they release it this week like they said they would".

All I'm trying to do is mention that in the past additional betas are generally 2 weeks or more. Yes, there may be circumstances which mean that a beta has to be replaced sooner rather than later, but two weeks gives them more time to iron out bugs and implement features.

Remember of course that they haven't actually put an iPad build out there yet - developers would be in a backlash "Apple have found the time to do two betas for iPhone but nothing for iPad" etc.

Seriously you're gonna keep harassing this guy over this? :rolleyes:

Beta 2 could be out this week. Based on the WWDC videos, it looks like Apple was using a more advanced build than what was released to developers. So they might have it ready to go sooner rather than later. Truth is, you don't know this guy is wrong unless you have a direct connection inside Apple.

Besides, his point was that nobody knows for sure, because this is a bigger update to iOS than any previous ones. So any timetable set by previous betas could be out the window.

See above for my reasoning. Telling people that the beta 2 could be out this week is just going to generate lots of posts on Friday night asking "Why haven't Apple released beta 2 yet?". Its usually exceptional circumstances which mean that betas are replaced quickly, but at least give Apple time to release a build for iPad (which, presumably will come along with beta 2 for iPhone).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, that is what you're saying, but when you're mentioning the possibility of it being this week you're building peoples hopes up that there will be a beta 2 this week (I know it shouldn't, but there are far too many naive people who believe anything they read). By posting that it could be this week, all you're going to get on Friday night is "but you said it'd be out this week" "this guy said it would be out this week" "Apple are crazy, why didn't they release it this week like they said they would".

All I'm trying to do is mention that in the past additional betas are generally 2 weeks or more. Yes, there may be circumstances which mean that a beta has to be replaced sooner rather than later, but two weeks gives them more time to iron out bugs and implement features.

Remember of course that they haven't actually put an iPad build out there yet - developers would be in a backlash "Apple have found the time to do two betas for iPhone but nothing for iPad" etc.

See above for my reasoning. Telling people that the beta 2 could be out this week is just going to generate lots of posts on Friday night asking "Why haven't Apple released beta 2 yet?". Its usually exceptional circumstances which mean that betas are replaced quickly, but at least give Apple time to release a build for iPad (which, presumably will come along with beta 2 for iPhone).
My comment was clearly made in a matter of saying it could be really any time. If someone would get their hopes up from a comment saying that it could be anytime and that there's really no worthwhile guessing, there's really not much more that could be done for them for misunderstanding the whole statement.

I think it's time to move on given that we've agreed that it could really come at any time and any guessing to say when it could happen or couldn't happen won't really do much one way or another.

buck1127

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2011

very true I have seen it in betas past. What people must remember is betas are for testing. And testing takes time its not something you can install test and be ready to move on the next day. The more extensive testing the better user experience for EVERYONE. I grew up in a time with out cell phone computers or the internet. Hell back then when beepers came out we thought it was the best thing. The issue now a days is everyone wants it and wants it now. Patience is a virtue. Let the developers develop and give Apple time to process bug reports
it will only be better for all of us ... Apple the developers and the consumers

Asmari

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Will i be screwed over when beta 1 expires if if a dont have a dev account nor udid registered?

I tried to go back to ios 6 yesterday but my icloud backup wont work because it requires ios 7. So i need to stay with these betas so i can keep all my data

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Will i be screwed over when beta 1 expires if if a dont have a dev account nor udid registered?

I tried to go back to ios 6 yesterday but my icloud backup wont work because it requires ios 7. So i need to stay with these betas so i can keep all my data

You didn't take a local backup before installing iOS 7? Why not?

If the beta expires and you cannot update, then yes, you are screwed. Big time.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010

If beta 2 is OTA, you should be able to update fine.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't expect to see any icon revisions in beta 2 because its too short a time. But we're going to hear a bunch of moaning when beta 2 drops and the icons re the same.

buck1127

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2011
I would like to see quick reply in one of these betas since mavericks has it now

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I would like to see quick reply in one of these betas since mavericks has it now

I'd like to see it too, only jailbreak tweak I'm now missing from what I was using on iOS6. Maybe Apple are saving it as a headline for the .1 release, or they are still "perfecting" it so it runs well on our phones and doesn't compromise battery and start people complaining.
Hopefully if and when they do implement it there will be an option to disable it, so those who want to whinge about battery will be able to do something else about it, rather than flood the net with their woes.

buck1127

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2011
I'd like to see it too, only jailbreak tweak I'm now missing from what I was using on iOS6. Maybe Apple are saving it as a headline for the .1 release, or they are still "perfecting" it so it runs well on our phones and doesn't compromise battery and start people complaining.
Hopefully if and when they do implement it there will be an option to disable it, so those who want to whinge about battery will be able to do something else about it, rather than flood the net with their woes.

I think it's a matter of when now. I can't wait

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I think it's a matter of when now. I can't wait

I can wait, but it's a bloody handy little tweak. I'd prefer it if they loosened things a bit to allow BiteSMS in the app store, a very good messaging app, and I've paid for a licence which was well worth it.

buck1127

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2011
Yes I have it as well but to put it in the OS for everyone including non jail breakers would be great

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I can wait, but it's a bloody handy little tweak. I'd prefer it if they loosened things a bit to allow BiteSMS in the app store, a very good messaging app, and I've paid for a licence which was well worth it.

That's all I want for now on iOS. A way to quick reply to messages. BiteSMS is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.