Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Ugh! Yes people I know it is a beta but you think it would have improved a little at least.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
You are providing no information at all.
If you just want to worry about it, remember it is not the final release. So no, do not expect anything out of a probably mid cycle beta release of an operating system.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Ugh! Yes people I know it is a beta but you think it would have improved a little at least.

Please clarify Fresh install. Fresh install is what I did with Beta 4:

1. Shift-Restore > pointed to Beta 4 IPSW file
2. Setup the phone "NEW".
3. Reinstalled all my apps
4. Re-entered all my mail accounts, iTunes information etc.
5. Re configured all my settings.

The battery life I'm experiencing right now is very close to iOS 6.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Please clarify Fresh install. Fresh install is what I did with Beta 4:

1. Shift-Restore > pointed to Beta 4 IPSW file
2. Setup the phone "NEW".
3. Reinstalled all my apps
4. Re-entered all my mail accounts, iTunes information etc.
5. Re configured all my settings.

The battery life I'm experiencing right now is very close to iOS 6.

Did all that, plus the other "developers solution" ... did that today so we will see tomorrow.

----------

Just tried it, I will know more tomorrow I guess

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm definitely seeing worse battery life in beta 4 even after doing a Reset All Settings. I just let my battery go down to 1% and now recharging in hope of a better calibration but it's still not bad enough to warrant a fresh install. Holding off on that until the GM.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Mine seems to be running great so far !
Phone not getting hot and it's a hell of a lot smoother

thomas-chk

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Hi, my phone is very hot since my update ota from beta 3 to 4 and battery life is dropping very fast. I just reset all my settings, waiting to see how it goes.
If it doesn't work I have few questions, maybe it can help :
If I restore my phone with iTunes, will it delete all my data ? do you advise to restore from beta 3 or 4?
Thanks a lot

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Hi, my phone is very hot since my update ota from beta 3 to 4 and battery life is dropping very fast. I just reset all my settings, waiting to see how it goes.
If I restore my phone with iTunes, will it delete all my data ? do you advise to restore from beta 3 or 4?
Thanks a lot

If you restore, you can back up from a saved back up..So you wont lose your apps. But when Ive done that before I somehow ended up having to download some because they were missing..

Either way doing a clean install- restoring new beta and set up as new iphone is the best way to install betas to reduce the amount of battery drainage and glitches etc...

Also when your phone gets really hot, turn it off until it gets to a normal temp.

Although doing a clean install may not help the over heating..it depends..hit or miss!

thomas-chk

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
If you restore, you can back up from a saved back up..So you wont lose your apps. But when Ive done that before I somehow ended up having to download some because they were missing..

Either way doing a clean install- restoring new beta and set up as new iphone is the best way to install betas to reduce the amount of battery drainage and glitches etc...

Also when your phone gets really hot, turn it off until it gets to a normal temp.

Although doing a clean install may not help the over heating..it depends..hit or miss!

Thanks ! so maybe i should restore with beta 3 ? cause it wasn't that hot with this one, what do you think ? :(

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
It's been great to me, even as an OTA update.

I would say it's almost as good as ios6. A lot changed after tweaking the settings mentioned in the other links.

I'd also say that if you fresh restored, and are re-setting up the phone, your post was pretty premature in concluding the battery life was bad. You only had at most a day of use on it, and it was probably used to download (and upgrade things in the background).

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I'll be really surprised if after all those steps your battery is not better :)

Im noticing that my phone took a long time to get down from 24% to 1% after following the developers instructions! I will know more once its fully charged!

thomas-chk

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks a lot

Weird, since i restarted my phone, it doesn't get any warmer and battery is ok...

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks ! so maybe i should restore with beta 3 ? cause it wasn't that hot with this one, what do you think ? :(

Try out beta 4! With a full restore and download all your apps along with following the developers instructions on how to potentially fix the battery

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Sometimes my phone will not charge using and aftermarket lightning cable. It shows the lightning bolt but doesn't charge every time, it just holds the same battery %. Is this something to do with the new warning because I no longer get the dismiss option on the lock screen. iPhone 5 w/ beta 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.