iOS 7 beta expire

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dominic252, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Jul 7, 2010
    New to the beta iOS world. I just have a couple of questions

1) After the first beta expires, do you just update in the built-in software updater on the iPhone?

2) Once the final release is out, how would you put that on your phone? Is that pushed out as a software update or would you have to manually update through the option+update feature in iTunes?

2. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2010
    1) Apple usually release a new beta a couple of weeks or so before the current one expires. In iOS 6 all the new versions were available OTA so just can just update on the phone itself after you install the first beta if the same thing happens here. However I should stress it's just likely not certain as iOS 7 is a lot more buggy than 6 being a major change.

2) With the final version you will have to manually update yes, as there is no OTA update from beta to final.
  3. macrumors 68030

Oct 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    I believe you can update OTA even if you're not a dev, correct? *looks around shiftily*
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2013
    I have a quick question as well regarding this topic ! I heard that when beta 1 expires your phone is locked until you plug it in and update ... Is this true ?
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2011
    Either way, there will be a Beta 2 before it expires.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Jul 7, 2010
  7. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2010
    Yes on iOS 6 that was always true and it appears to be the same for iOS 7 as you can update to 7 without being a dev if you "acquire" the IPSW file