Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
New to the beta iOS world. I just have a couple of questions

1) After the first beta expires, do you just update in the built-in software updater on the iPhone?

2) Once the final release is out, how would you put that on your phone? Is that pushed out as a software update or would you have to manually update through the option+update feature in iTunes?

Thanks!!

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
New to the beta iOS world. I just have a couple of questions

1) After the first beta expires, do you just update in the built-in software updater on the iPhone?

2) Once the final release is out, how would you put that on your phone? Is that pushed out as a software update or would you have to manually update through the option+update feature in iTunes?

Thanks!!

1) Apple usually release a new beta a couple of weeks or so before the current one expires. In iOS 6 all the new versions were available OTA so just can just update on the phone itself after you install the first beta if the same thing happens here. However I should stress it's just likely not certain as iOS 7 is a lot more buggy than 6 being a major change.

2) With the final version you will have to manually update yes, as there is no OTA update from beta to final.

TJFox91

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
1) Apple usually release a new beta a couple of weeks or so before the current one expires. In iOS 6 all the new versions were available OTA so just can just update on the phone itself after you install the first beta if the same thing happens here. However I should stress it's just likely not certain as iOS 7 is a lot more buggy than 6 being a major change.

2) With the final version you will have to manually update yes, as there is no OTA update from beta to final.

I have a quick question as well regarding this topic ! I heard that when beta 1 expires your phone is locked until you plug it in and update ... Is this true ?

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I have a quick question as well regarding this topic ! I heard that when beta 1 expires your phone is locked until you plug it in and update ... Is this true ?

Either way, there will be a Beta 2 before it expires.

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I believe you can update OTA even if you're not a dev, correct? *looks around shiftily*

Yes on iOS 6 that was always true and it appears to be the same for iOS 7 as you can update to 7 without being a dev if you "acquire" the IPSW file

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.