Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
Is it too wishful of thinking that the new iPad mini will have phone capabilities and be the Apple answer to phablets ?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
A retina mini would have a higher ppi than the nexus 7. That's part of the reason why it's so hard to be required to double pixels

Edit: Additionally, a retina mini would require significantly more total pixels, because the screen is so much larger.

A retina mini would be a mere 2ppi higher than the nexus 7. The nexus 7 is 324. Double the ipad mini's current 163 is 326. Not an excuse at all. Also the nexus 10 has more pixels than either so the total number of pixels isn't a good argument either.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Might just upgrade my iPad 1 to the iPad 5.

Still would prefer a Retina iPad Mini for ebooks and easier to carry around.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
kindle HD Fire 2 will be announced here soon...

You think the new Nexus is nice, wait till you see the Fire 2.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Sure.

2013 Nexus 7 = 323 PPI.
Retina iPad mini = 326 PPI.

So technically yes, but not noticeably so.

If it's a panel as good as the one in the iPad 3/4, its main advantage over the Nexus 7 would be color accuracy more than anything else.

The new nexus 7 is just as color accurate as the ipad 3/4. For once google/asus properly calibrated it and put in a panel with great view angles/contrast.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Isn't it possible that the iPad 2 goes away and we get two mini's - a cheaper one without retina and one with retina? If the low cost iPhone rumors are correct Apple won't be selling any iPhones with 30 pin connectors. I'd assume they want to get away from that on the iPad too.

If Apple is going to replace iPad 2, why not just replace with a iPad Mini. iPad Mini serves low end entry level tablet for Apple. Then put iPad 5 as large 10 inch table, and use iPad Mini as low end, thin and light iPad. Isn't that simplified product line a lot more?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I have been waiting and waiting for a MBA with retina display and Apple keeps pushing the old and obsolete screen on us. Another option would be the MB with retina display but you get it with either the 5,400rpm old HD or extremely expensive SD that do not have the storage I want.

That's incorrect, it seems like what you're looking at is the non-Retina MBP. The price of flash storage on the 13" MBA is exactly the same as on the 13" rMBP, and you can't get a mechanical hard drive.

You're basically paying $400 more to get a much better display, better CPU, more ports and double the RAM compared to a MBA.

Or if you want to customize the MBA to get close to a 13" rMBP (with an i7+8GB RAM), you'll end up wiht a $150 difference, less if you're a student. Not too bad.

.eric

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Was hoping to get the iPad Mini + retina. Guess I'll have to wait yet again.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....According to the iOS 7 beta, Apple is testing a new iPad mini model that includes an A6 chip -- the same as the current iPhone 5 -- and a non-retina display, reports 9to5Mac.

The information was sent to the site by developer Nick Frey, who found the details inside a file that lists all the iOS devices that support iOS 7. The A6 processor would be a logical upgrade for the iPad mini, advancing its main processing chip to the next generation.
As for what these new iPad minis will feature, the references state that the devices include the “s5l8950x” processor. This is the same A6 system-on-a-chip inside of Apple’s iPhone 5, and this would offer significant speed improvements for the iPad mini compared to the current A5-based model.
ImageCurrent iPad mini models are nicknamed '2,5'; '2,6'; and '2,7'. 9to5Mac also notes that the models don't include references to '@2x' code that relates to Retina-display supported artwork -- that code is included in the iPhone 5 and the fourth-generation iPad, leading the site to conclude that the new mini will not include a Retina display.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta Suggests Non-Retina A6-Powered iPad Mini in Development

My guess is, that APPLE won't include retina in those minis, until battery tech has caught up enough to give those rMinis a satisfactory battery life, or until they can secure enough of the less power-hungry IGZO displays. While the Mini's ppi is a far cry from some of the newer tablets out there, it is higher than that of the 9.7" pre-retina iPads.

With a significantly faster processor and possibly a few other minor upgrades in addition to the ecosystem advantages of their iOS devices, APPLE perhaps is confident, they can wait it out thru the holiday shopping quarter.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If Apple is going to replace iPad 2, why not just replace with a iPad Mini. iPad Mini serves low end entry level tablet for Apple. Then put iPad 5 as large 10 inch table, and use iPad Mini as low end, thin and light iPad. Isn't that simplified product line a lot more?

They should replace iPad 2 with a mini. But they could drop the prices on the iPod touch, have a non retina mini at $299 (or $249 but I doubt they'd ever go that low) and a retina mini at $329.

If there's no retina mini this year than the 5th gen iPad better be amazing. We're not hearing much about it which is a bit of a surprise.

smakdown61

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products and have many of them. However, lately it seems that Apple is not listening to its customers and instead of delivering what people want they are just dumping whatever they feel is good as an updated version. I have been waiting and waiting for a MBA with retina display and Apple keeps pushing the old and obsolete screen on us. Another option would be the MB with retina display but you get it with either the 5,400rpm old HD or extremely expensive SD that do not have the storage I want. Now the iPad mini. As many people mentioned even Kindle, Nexus, etc.. have better screens than the iPad Mini. Why is that Apple insists in launching an “updated” version of the device with the same crappy screen? I am ready to spend my money on new Apple products but won’t buy them just because Apple calls them “new”. I guess the innovation at Apple died with Steve Jobs. Wall St responded to that by blowing AAPL stock price but Mr. Cook seems to not listen to them.

It's not about apple not wanting to give you a retina ipad mini, its that manufacturing won't allow for it. It's already been revealed they've had to shift screen production around from numerous vendors because of quality issues. They would rather wait and be able to flood the market sufficiently than jump the gun and either release a product with quality issues (nexus 7?) or have a severly constrained supply for months.

picollus

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2007
As a current owner of iPad Mini, The small weight is more important than retina display.

When using both iPad 3 and iPad Mini, I use the mini just because it's lighter !

So, if a retina display imply a increase of mass, it's a no buy for me !

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Not quite.
They're improving but the iPad 3/4 still aren't matched yet.

It beats it in some and loses in others. I'd say thats matching it. It also has a much higher contrast ratio and max brightness level. Not to mention it kills the mini in these tests. 99% of consumers would appreciate the increased max brightness and higher contrast ratio over a marginally better calman score. Not to mention the nexus does better than the ipad 3/4 on certain parts of the calman tests as well.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
apple loses this round.
so much for Tim cook being the master at operations...

They shot themselves in the foot introducing this iPad mini, with no real good plans at succession.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
snagged a used ipad mini on cowboom for $200..

about what they are worth now..

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I don't want to see a 6 month cycle of the iPad mini. Makes me wanna buy more in less time. Better off with the full sized iPad for the time being.

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
So much for waiting. I guess I'll see what the regular Ipad will offer before picking up something different.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I guess I'll be the first to say I'll gladly buy one (non-retina) :eek:

I'm coming from an iPad 2 and I can't stand using mine anymore after using my girlfriends Mini for the past few months. Yes I want retina, yes it's a shame the Nexus 7 has one for a cheaper price but at the same time it's really important for me to have 1. very good battery life(I like not having the charge it often, nice convenience) and 2. stay light!(this is a big one, it's a huge pleasure holding the Mini now, don't want it any heavier).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.