iOS 7 Brightness control in quick panel hard to use

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Iamthinking, Sep 9, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hi,

Does anyone else feel that the screen brightness control in the bottom quick access panel is not very "real world" useable?

EG., When I access the panel to tweak the brightness of the screen I'm reading (perhaps it's an all-white bg, etc.) the whole screen goes much darker (by design) - rendering my brightness tweak a "wild guess". This is akin to setting volume levels with no tactile feedback (i.e. no sound while adjusting).

Seems like a real basic UI mistake, or am I missing something??

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

You talking about iPad? Just use the control center by itself as a reference. On iPhone FYI you can do so as well.

3. macrumors newbie

It gets hard when you first start doing it, but you get used to it after a few times

4. macrumors 68030

Arran

You're not missing anything. I logged in to post the very same thing. Searched and found your thread.

I can't believe Apple made such an obvious usability gaffe. They'd better fix it fast before the media have a field day: "iOS 7 dims the screen while you adjust brightness!"

What next, muting the volume while you adjust it? :)

5. macrumors 68020

bbfc

You are being sarcastic, right?

6. macrumors 68030

Arran

Not at all.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness in an iPhone in car at night? Or on an ipad while trying to read a magazine in a dim room? Like the op said, the whole screen dims while the control panel is up, you adjust brightness, dismiss the control panel and then the whole screen brightens automatically. It's a complete crap shoot. Try it

7. macrumors 68020

bbfc

Stays dim for me. How about turing off auto-brightness?

8. macrumors regular

The screen behind the control panel dims slightly, command centre itself will remain at the level of the brightness setting, and can be used as a frame of reference.

9. macrumors 68030

Arran

Good idea. Tried it, but no deal. (I'm on an iPhone 4S and ipad 4, btw. What devices are you using?)

I'd dispute the term "slightly". It's quite marked on my ipad. That makes it the wrong frame of reference. Command center's mid grey background with black graphics is not the same as black text on a white page.

On the iPhone it's even worse. Command center completely obscures the content I'm trying to adjust.

10. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Im not sure what the issue is. When I pull up control center a 1/4 of the screen is visible when adjusting brightness. I use that as a reference. Were's the issue?

11. macrumors 68030

Arran

I'm guessing you're on an iPhone 5 with a longer screen? Hence you can still see some of your content? That said, the entire screen of my iPhone 4S dims when control center is up. Does it not do that on your 5?

12. macrumors 65816

BenTrovato

Interesting... I'm not seeing what everyone is reporting minus pretty clear

13. macrumors 68020

bbfc

I'm on a 4S.

14. macrumors member

The issue is that, the Brightness you´re seeing with Control Center Opened, is different from the Brightness you get, when you close it. So you´re basically guessing...

With iOS 6, " what u see, is what u get "

15. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Yes Im on a 5.:eek:

After multiple tries yes there is a very very small difference between adjustment and actual brightness. But not so much I even noticed until I read this thread. Im not even sure Its worth a thread. But If bothers you that much I can understand, some things about iOS 7 bother me but prob not others.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

The control centre is translucent, making it very hard to guage how bright my web pages and online mags/newspapers are going to be. I find myself having to go back and forth 3 or 4 times until I get the "correct" brightness.

That said, it may be that I use my iPAD in the dark a lot (i.e. reading in bed at night/early morning). Another poster mentioned that the ambient light (or lack thereof) may be when this issue really rears its head. I tend to agree!

So, I guess the note to Jony Ive and Team would be: "try adjusting the brightness of an ios7 iPAD or iphone in a dark/black room, and see if 'it just works'"

-Iamthinking.

17. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

You can turn off the translucency if you want.

18. macrumors regular

It may be fine on iPhones, but not iPads. Control center on iPads is tiny. It's really hard to use it as reference next to a huge area of the main screen.

I wonder how come this has not been fixed for iPads. Such an obvious blunder.

19. macrumors 601

sunking101

Mine used to be a bit potty and adjust the brightness in a strange manner but it was one of the few issues which rectified itself with a DFU reinstallation.

20. macrumors 601

I7guy

I don't have a problem adjusting the brightness using the control panel of my iPad 2 with ios 7. The issue is between iOS six and iOS 7 the brightness on iOS 7 doesn't go as dim as the brightness on iOS 6.

21. macrumors 601

sunking101

That's because Apple use depleted uranium in the iOS7 colourscheme.

22. macrumors 68030

I don't see this as a huge problem, but the OP makes a good point. I do find myself adjusting the brightness on my iPad and then going back and adjusting it because I didn't quite get it right not being able to see how it will really look until after I close the control center. It is slightly annoying, but not that big of a deal.

23. macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I'm always adjusting brightness multiple times on the ipad. If the brightness of the control centre itself was a sufficient guide, I wouldn't be correcting it over and over, but I am.

It's not a "big deal" but it is yet another example of poorly thought out functionality in favour of "fresh" design.