Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I was afraid of this: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/29/details-on-jony-ives-very-very-flat-design-for-ios-7/

"While the look of the updated system may be surprising to some, iOS 7 is reportedly not more difficult to use than earlier versions of software platform. There is apparently no new learning curve in the same way there was no learning curve when the iPods went color. While iOS 7 does look different, its core apps and system fundamentals (like the Lock and Home screens) mostly operate in a similar fashion to how they do today."

If true, those holding out their breath for big changes to come with iOS 7 (myself included) will likely be disappointed.

What's worse is people will probably be blown away by the new look. Mix that in with Apple's "imaginative" (to put it politely) marketing, I wouldn't be surprised if people devour it up as the next big thing in iOS. I mean, it can be beautiful, but I fear it'll be another sleight of hand, magic trick, another veil pulled over people's eyes.

Or, it could be Android's (and I guess WP8 and BB10, too) moment to really distance itself. If iOS 7 won't give people the things they want, and will still be on a 4" screen, will more people migrate? They should. Or else Apple may never change the way we want and at the speed we want.

Or will new cheers of "iOS 8 will bring those big changes!" (it might) be born?

Disappointing news.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Uh, you can change the look while still adding the 1000+ new APIs for new features, like every wwdc since iOS came out.

Do you really think the people that were lucky enough to get a sneak peak of the UI were also given a rundown of new features too? Come on.:rolleyes:

Truts, iOS 7 will have quite a few new features.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Of course people will say "iOS 8 will be different". People will argue that Jony couldnt implement sweeping changes in a single iOS revision or risk alienating customers.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Uh, you can change the look while still adding the 1000+ new APIs for new features, like every wwdc since iOS came out.

Do you really think the people that were lucky enough to get a sneak peak of the UI were also given a rundown of new features too? Come on.:rolleyes:

Truts, iOS 7 will have quite a few new features.

At no point does the article or I say iOS 7 will have no new features.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
At no point does the article or I say iOS 7 will have no new features....

...I mean, it can be beautiful, but I fear it'll be another sleight of hand, magic trick, another veil pulled over people's eyes.

What exactly are you implying then??

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I said this when iOS 5 was released, and I'll say it again- iOS 7 is their big chance. I figured iOS 6 was still going to have Steve Jobs all over it, and it does. iOS 7 is their opportunity to please the die hard fans as well as the people who desire a little more.

It's obvious that Apple is starting to really look at the markets. The iPad got smaller, the iPhone got a little bigger... they are starting to pay attention a little more now that they're not the only name in nice touch screen phones and tablets.

I am eager to see iOS 7, if it even adds a few certain things I'd likely grab a new iPhone. If not, well, I've already been away from the iPhone for a while now so it's no huge loss.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
To tell you the truth, I think the most important change Apple can change is screen size and offer a 4.8 inch or greater phone.

I think the majority does not care about customization or freedom, they just care about how well they can see the screen and if the phone can text,call, and facebook good enough.

After owning the S4 for a few days, I love many features that Android has over ios but the number 1 selling point to me is still that 1080p 5 inch screen.

Meaning I would have lived with my IOS frustrations if the S4 or HTC one a 4inch screen.

To use that old favorite saying

"Size does matter"

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Not sure what the rumored new "flat-look" interface will look, but guess we'll just wait until June to find out.

That said, I do believe iOS 7 will bring its fair share to features. There will always be a "iOS 7 brings more more than 200 new features....", then followed by a "will really like to show you all of them, but there's not enough time, so we've compiled a top-ten" features thingy that they'll run through during the keynote.

Typical Apple keynote way-of-things, I doubt this time will be any different from history.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If it's anything as flat as these, I'll be speechless.

flat-design.jpg

ios-icons-flat_1x.png

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don't get what big features iOS is behind on android. Don't get me wrong, I really like android, especially how well it runs on the one, but iOS never frustrated me one bit, while android frustrates me as I try to find apps that work as well as they do on iOS.

Android does feel a bit more modern at the moment though.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What I want to know is, how much will be held back from my ageing iPhone 4?:(

I need to get a newer iPhone methinks.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
To tell you the truth, I think the most important change Apple can change is screen size and offer a 4.8 inch or greater phone.

I think the majority does not care about customization or freedom, they just care about how well they can see the screen and if the phone can text,call, and facebook good enough.

After owning the S4 for a few days, I love many features that Android has over ios but the number 1 selling point to me is still that 1080p 5 inch screen.

Meaning I would have lived with my IOS frustrations if the S4 or HTC one a 4inch screen.

"Size does matter"

Software is equally important as they won't put software engineers on hardware projects nor just lay off their software division. And screens aren't the primary sales pitch for most. If we are talking about the majority of consumers, its price. Not only that, the brand sells, and likely iOS is another factor that people continue to buy iPhone. We know this b/c iPhone continues to be the top selling brand of smartphone.

Now that doesn't mean that screen size isn't important, b/c it obviously is to you and many others. But for all the people they lose to Android OS for screen size, they gain for various other reasons.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

I'll be speechless as well. They don't look very nice at all, looks more like a step back than a step forward... -.-

Trying desperately to conjure up all kinds of concepts for "flat-look" inside my head right now... :cool:

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I'll be speechless as well. They don't look very nice at all, looks more like a step back than a step forward... -.-

Trying desperately to conjure up all kinds of concepts for "flat-look" inside my head right now... :cool:

They appear to be heavily influenced by Microsoft's Modern UI. Which does not suit iOS at all.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
They appear to be heavily influenced by Microsoft's Modern UI. Which does not suit iOS at all.

Why does everyone think that flat = MS Metro? Im pretty sure that the rest of the OS will be like the current App Store and Music apps.

----------

If iOS 7 won't give people the things they want, and will still be on a 4" screen, will more people migrate? They should. Or else Apple may never change the way we want and at the speed we want.

What, who's we? If people who buy the iPhone and are happy with it they should buy another to supposedly make apple change things up, thats ridiculous.

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Why does everyone think that flat = MS Metro? Im pretty sure that the rest of the OS will be like the current App Store and Music apps.

For me I hope this isn't the case, I think the current music app is very ugly

I would like to see Apple & Google have change of how apps look, these new very white style apps are horrible

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

----------

What who's we? If people who buy the iPhone and are happy with it they should buy another to supposedly make apple change things up, thats ridiculous.

At this point in time, Microsoft's Modern UI is probably what a lot of people first think when someone mentions 'flat.' It's also a mock up since no one really knows what the revamped 'flat' UI will bring.

I opened up the App store and Music app and my thoughts of the flattened UI with iOS 7 will be like or similar to this and I do agree with you here. And this is the sort of style, I'd much like the Modern UI to have gone for, with square icons and using plain colour to denote notifications/the live tile updates.

JustJeff

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
I was afraid of this: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/29/details-on-jony-ives-very-very-flat-design-for-ios-7/

"While the look of the updated system may be surprising to some, iOS 7 is reportedly not more difficult to use than earlier versions of software platform. There is apparently no new learning curve in the same way there was no learning curve when the iPods went color. While iOS 7 does look different, its core apps and system fundamentals (like the Lock and Home screens) mostly operate in a similar fashion to how they do today."

If true, those holding out their breath for big changes to come with iOS 7 (myself included) will likely be disappointed.

What's worse is people will probably be blown away by the new look. Mix that in with Apple's "imaginative" (to put it politely) marketing, I wouldn't be surprised if people devour it up as the next big thing in iOS. I mean, it can be beautiful, but I fear it'll be another sleight of hand, magic trick, another veil pulled over people's eyes.

Or, it could be Android's (and I guess WP8 and BB10, too) moment to really distance itself. If iOS 7 won't give people the things they want, and will still be on a 4" screen, will more people migrate? They should. Or else Apple may never change the way we want and at the speed we want.

Or will new cheers of "iOS 8 will bring those big changes!" (it might) be born?

Disappointing news.

Wow what a load of drivel and your bias shines through spectacularly. So just because someone likes iOS you have the "veil pulled over your eyes"? Please.

It's all down to personal preference just because your happier with Android doesn't mean iphone users are using an inferior device.

There's nothing that Apple can do at this stage that will please you so just give it up and continue going through Android devices nitpicking at the smallest thing.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
The problem I had with iOS is that it's simply an app draw basically, you have a few decent apps/features that provide a bit of functionality, otherwise your simply just opening and closing apps.

With android they just have so many functionalities, and because of the way android is, you download apps to have added on functionality as well. To the point were you don't even needs apps to do most things.

For instance I downloaded yesterday an app called notification toggle, which has added toggles I can basically customise, on my notifications slider bar. So now when I swip down my notification bar I have toggles for wifi, Bluetooth, brightness etc its awesome.

Then I have blink feed, I haven't even installed flip board now, I simply have blinkfeed which displays all the content I enjoy, on my home screen.

Then we have zoe, which just destroys the iPhones photo/camera app.

Not only that but the majority of great developers have now basically supported android and made nice , clean looking apps that basically look and act the same now on android mobiles as they do on iOS phones, infact some apps have greater capabilities.

Android is just becoming a more powerful, but an actual cleaner and less complicated os, at the same time as adding more features.

This htc sense 5 I have found to be just as easy as iOS is.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Wow what a load of drivel and your bias shines through spectacularly. So just because someone likes iOS you have the "veil pulled over your eyes"? Please.

It's all down to personal preference just because your happier with Android doesn't mean iphone users are using an inferior device.

There's nothing that Apple can do at this stage that will please you so just give it up and continue going through Android devices nitpicking at the smallest thing.

Your bias is showing through just as much as you claim couch's to be.

The point he was making is simple - and true. All Apple needs to do is release a visual overhaul of iOS and, through their clever marketing, will have millions of people drooling over it, when all they'd have done is really just release an iOS update that is the equivalent of a visual theme.

People will be saying it's faster, easier to use, more intuitive and smoother just because Apple will market it that way.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I personally believe we won't be getting a proper (and much needed) system overhaul until iphone 6. There is no reason to (no different size iphones, ipods etc). It will be next year.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

really? I think it looks pretty damn good haha. I am a huge fan of flat designs. It makes my eyes happy :p

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

"Size does matter"

I think this assessment is spot on. The vast majority of smartphone users do nothing beyond the core apps (phone, text, email, some apps) and the numerous 'freedoms' provided by Android are completely lost on them and thus, the iPhone is more than adequate for their needs. I've certainly heard some iPhone users express their desire for a larger screen, can't recall ever hearing 'man, I wish it was easier to attach this PDF to an email' or 'wow, turning off my wifi takes so many steps'.

From the perspective of the types of users hanging out in this forum, Couch's opinion is likely shared by many (myself being one) but the flaw in so many of these threads is feeling they apply to the general consumer. We are a small niche of the smartphone market and while we will be dissappointed with a lack of progress in iOS, it is more than capable of meeting most people's needs. Apple isn't selling millions of iPhones on accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.