iOS 7 Concept Features Widgets, New Lock Screen, Mission Control and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, a number of Apple-focused bloggers claimed iOS 7 was running behind schedule and that it would bring a significant user interface refresh.

Designer F. Bianco has posted a set of images to Flickr with some interesting thoughts on what useful changes Apple could make to iOS 7 to improve the user experience. Apple's user interfaces will likely face new scrutiny now that Facebook has laid out a new vision for how phone users interact with their devices with Facebook Home.

[​IMG]
    One of the more interesting concepts that Bianco shows is a 'widget' mode for apps that allows users to see quick information or change app settings straight from the home screen, as well as a quickly accessible settings screen that can slide out from the side to quickly adjust settings.

Turning Bluetooth on and off, for example, takes four distinct steps and the process could be much improved with a quickly accessible preferences screen.

Article Link: iOS 7 Concept Features Widgets, New Lock Screen, Mission Control and More

2. macrumors regular

the music is great :D

3. macrumors 6502

bchery21

This would be great imo...hopefully iOS7 addresses some of these issues

4. macrumors 6502a

Well it would be about time if this happens!

5. macrumors 6502a

THIS LOOKS EPIC. Apple, take some damn notes.

6. Guest

garybUK

Slow news day?

7. macrumors regular

Not a major overhaul, but a major upgrade imho.

8. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

I never understood the additional steps compared to turning on/off flight mode to be honest.

9. macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty content with the usability of iOS 6... That's just me though. The widgets are cool, but double tapping is an odd gesture.

10. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

Pretty much. "Here's something totally made up by some random guy that has no influence on what Apple is already doing!"

11. macrumors member

I thought this was like actual news not speculation. ):

12. macrumors 68020

Some of the ideas are good but the widgets concept is about as dumb as it is on Android. Why not just open the app and get the full deal rather than the limited info that comes with widgets? The apps on iOS open blazing fast. It's not like opening Photoshop or something on a slow spinning hard disk.

Heck, I never use widgets even on my old slow Mac. And Apple has had widgets on Mac since forever it seems. I'm pretty sure they know full well whether people on average find them useful or not. My guess is not really.

13. macrumors 65816

testcard

I'd put Tim Cook on my Xmas card list if I could toggle Bluetooth from the home screen.

14. macrumors 68030

needfx

people are going to start moaning about all apps being newsstand-y

15. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

If even half of those concepts come to fruition, iOS7 will be a major upgrade.

16. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

I'd venture to guess that it's because unlike Flight Mode, Bluetooth has additional options like pairing and selecting devices, etc. Its not as simple as on/off. While they could have a menu option for on/off and then the other options in a submenu below it, this is Apple. They want to keep things as clean as possible and having Bluetooth take up 2 spaces in the Settings wouldn't work with that.

17. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yay screen sh--- oh wait, no just a cool concept video created by someone with no relation to Apple that will never see the light of day. *sigh*

18. macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

It's official. This comment is everywhere. It's the new "Safari is snappier" and "Steve Jobs wouldn't have..."

A quick forum search showed that this comment is happening almost once a day now.

19. macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

These are all nice improvements, but I don't think it's the extreme design change apple is looking to make in iOS 7

20. macrumors 6502

I quite fancy some visual tweaks. Nothing major, but I'm a bit tired of all the shiny glass, but maybe that's just me. Nice video

21. macrumors 6502

"Apple's user interfaces will likely face new scrutiny now that Facebook has laid out a new vision for how phone users interact with their devices with Facebook Home."

Facebook home is nothing but hype. Doesn't look appealing to me or anyone I've talked to. The last thing I want is a constant facebook stream of pictures of other people's babies and whiny and/or self-promoting status updates flooding my phone (which is all facebook has become as I've gotten older). Just look at the facebook demographics, its users are aging and young people aren't adopting it. People who tend to use Facebook the most are also on the lower end of the economic scale. Facebook is on its way out.

iOS really does need an interface update though.

22. macrumors 6502a

News are not slow..they are in normal speed only..it is just that not so great news!!

23. sza
    macrumors regular

Can we add another column in next generation of iPhone and make it wider?

24. macrumors 68020

I agreed.
    They at Apple will go further to simplify things IMO. While some of this guy suggestions are good, the overall look still much like the old one.

25. macrumors 65816

BklynKid

That's actually all really ugly and poorly thought out to me.