Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maybe you're a new Apple user but how often have you seen Apple take users suggestions for changes to their products? I'd venture to say pretty much never. As Steve Jobs said, "...people don't know what they want until you show it to them." They don't care what you or others think. Seems a bit of a waste of time to look at random concepts that will never come to be.

That's very circular logic since the actual Apple designers that actually DESIGN the features are people too - with their own suggestions and ideas and concepts.
That's just him saying "my way is the only way." And don't get me wrong - so far it has worked out great. But to completely disregard feedback is rather close-minded. Apple employees aren't gods. Neither was Jobs. The chances that there could be a concept out there that Apple could be or should be implementing but isn't b/c it wasn't "their idea" is high, IMO.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Not sure where you got that stastic. I always turn off BT when not in use. Everyone I know does. Why have it on? If nothing else, it's an extra processor task many don't want running.

Why, because I wouldn't remember to turn in on and be pissed I couldn't take a call while I am driving! Turning BT off doesn't save you anything only increase hassles.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not sure where you got that stastic. I always turn off BT when not in use. Everyone I know does. Why have it on? If nothing else, it's an extra processor task many don't want running.

"I don't ever use this, so nobody else does either"

AND

"I have wanted this for so long So must everyone else!"

Two common assumptions made by smartphone users on all forums I have come across.

In any case "most people don't care" seems like a strange excuse. I wonder how many people use stocks. By default that is in notification center.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
99% of users never turn off BT or wifi, so why waste space on the main config screen?

I'd agree. I'd be very surprised if even 5% of users used Bluetooth ever. Those that do use it seem to think it's a big deal and bitch about it all the time but the vast majority never use it. Why bother wasting time and resources on something that benefits very few rather than focusing on features that most, if not all, users benefit from.

----------

Or it could be a controlled leak for some free market research (I know, long short, but weirder stuff happens) :D

And we've known Apple to do that when?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why, because I wouldn't remember to turn in on and be pissed I couldn't take a call while I am driving! Turning BT off doesn't save you anything only increase hassles.

The fact that you wouldn't remember, and that it would increase hassles (for you) doesn't mean that 99% of people don't ever turn bluetooth off. It sounds like you picked a statistic out of thin air and are now trying to defend it with your opinion...

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
This concept looks pretty sweet. The two things I'd like to see though

The icon for the weather app to show the High for the day especially since the cal icon updates to the current day. Shouldn't be to hard it does it in the notification bar that no one uses.

The other thing I'd like to see. Saving an mp3 from email to the music app and be able to edit the id3 tag.

Far to many times have I been sent music from bands I'm working with to hear the latest scratch track in my car and it is a total hassle switching back and forth between a previous email and the new one to make notes on the changes. Let alone dealing with iTunes 11 and getting it on the phone in the music app. Seriously bring back the tree view in iTunes 11 and stop duplicating my playlists for each apple device.

Please Apple stay far away from Facebook home. That just looks completely annoying!

W1LLk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
San Antonio
Some of the elements were good, but I'm not so sure about some of the design choices and the double tapping to "widget" an app. As far as Apple's current DNA is concerned, Jony will likely brush (aluminum? ha.) some of that away. Double tapping on apps that traditionally open quickly off a single press is also a usability nightmare. IMO.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I am going to say what I have said in 9to5mac:

0:09 - I think this is a good idea but the ability to choose which button I want should be in the Setting App.
0:16 - No! This is a lock screen, it is supposed to lock. If someone steals your phone, just turn on Airplane mode and suddenly Find My iPhone becomes useless.
0:38 - Same as above - this is a lock screen, it is supposed to lock the phone.
0:43 - Nice, really nice. Revamped warnings interface, something that I loved and the idea of replying like that is pretty neat.
0:50 - The home screen is a app launcher. I think widgets should go to the Notification Center. In Settings app you could choose which Widgets you would like to add into Notification Center (something you can already do for the Twitter/Facebook, Weather and Stock widgets, but with a lot more widgets. I think Apple should let 3rd party apps to take advantage of the notification center or, alternatively, launch a new App Store section with Widgets. But they should not go to the Home Screen.
1:48 - Good Idea, implementation is not that intuitive. These kind of settings should be present on a Widget in Notification Center.
2:14 - Nice, nice, nice. Interface not that nice. I think apple should remove those horrible Shelf effects in iBooks, iTunes and Newstand. The Safari interface is really good, nice job!
3:06 - I don't like Mission Control. Live previews are useless - the apps' icons make the OS more consistent because the same symbol is used in the launcher and in the apps' switcher; the live previews take a lot more RAM to run not to mention true multitasking that would require a lot more of power draining the battery faster. The idea of closing all the apps is nice and should be implemented but I think Apple should make a more conservative approach adding multiple rows to the current app switcher so we could see more than 4 opened apps at once (90% of the screen is useless anyway, so the app switcher should allocate the screen in a better way). The way you designed the interface makes impossible to see more than one app at once in the iPhone, which is exactly the opposite that should be done.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Not crazy about the look, but the ideas are great.

But honestly, just put the actual current temperature on the weather icon. It's been 73° since 2007.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
No point in putting toggle buttons in lock screen. Its against usability practices of Apple. Almost all the concepts shown are ridiculous!! These changes never gonna come in any iOS I can bet. :cool:

Never say never. I'm not saying they would every use it but Apple filed a patent application for just such a thing. It may not be implemented exactly like this demo, but they did file a patent for a concept very, very similar to this.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I'm really glad that whoever made this mockup isn't Jonathan Ive (or so I hope). Those are insanely ugly. Not that I have any concept of my own, but I know this isn't what I want in an OS (not speaking for anyone other than myself).

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
It's official. This comment is everywhere. It's the new "Safari is snappier" and "Steve Jobs wouldn't have..."

A quick forum search showed that this comment is happening almost once a day now.

This just proves that there have been a lot of slow news days.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I can give you an example (for me). The gym in our building is close to our unit. When I go to the gym, I get one bar of wifi (worthless, connections time out). I am left turning off wifi a few times a day so that I can do things like stream music and still get notifications.

The battery saving utility is what is always assumed when a person wants to toggle wifi, bluetooth, etc. I am sure that isn't the case for everyone.
Yea I was surprised at the snarky answers when turning off wifi is still very much needed.

Another example is walking past a starbucks, a location where I would want to use wifi if was actually going to be inside, only to find my iMessage (or whatsapp) stopped working due to it having no internet access because wifi is waiting for me to accept the terms. I had to turn off wifi in a mall a few weeks ago for the same reason.

Other times a store/restaurant/airport/whatever where I go regularly might be busy so their wifi network is as slow as dialup. It's far easier to quickly toggle it off than to go through settings to turn it off or forget the network.

Meanwhile these kinds of toggles are usually in the top 10 "must haves" for jailbroken iPhones. Wonder why??

Michael

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
The quick reply as demonstrated here is poorly done. That's a step back to annoying pop ups. It could be implemented much more smoothly.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
The fact that you wouldn't remember, and that it would increase hassles (for you) doesn't mean that 99% of people don't ever turn bluetooth off. It sounds like you picked a statistic out of thin air and are now trying to defend it with your opinion...

I willing to bet, most people don't know what BT really is and that is can be turned on or off. These are tech details that the average person doesn't want to know about, it makes their heads hurt.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
except that a lot of the widgets on android are very useful and actually give you the info you need in real time. no need to open the app. sports, weather, traffic, stocks, news, package tracking, etc... you can have multiple info right in front of you without even leaving your lockscreen. Google Now is an example of this.. one press of a button.. no need to open up multiples.

Yeah... 'cause my time is too precious and it's too much trouble to open an app...

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Widgets and Mission Control!

If I wasn't such a fanboy, I'd think Apple is copying Android again.

Now if we also get the choice to use different launchers and different keyboards, to customize icons, and if we get true multi-tasking to go with that Mission Control, we'll be on par with Android OS 4.2!

Hurray!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I willing to bet, most people don't know what BT really is and that is can be turned on or off. These are tech details that the average person doesn't want to know about, it makes their heads hurt.

By that logic, Apple should stop adding the newest bluetooth technology/chips to their phones. Hell, just get rid of bluetooth all together. Most people won't miss it, right?

I mentioned stocks. DO most people use that? What about compass? Voice memos? This notion that X% of people don;t use something and therefore Apple won't touch it is silly. Why? because the more full fledged the OS becomes, the more you can potentially take away from the competition. Just like the stock ticker is, by default, in notification center (but it can be removed), so could something like a toggle for bluetooth/wifi/etc. Are they going to do it? I don't know. But the option can only do more to help iOS, as a whole, than hurt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.