iOS 7 fixes icons, somehow

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Ram27, Jun 25, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Or at least, it seems to.

Look how it...reversed the gloss, or something, on the Sleep Cycle icon.

[​IMG]

This is what the icon normally looks like.

[​IMG]

It was last updated in March, so it's not a newer version.

2. macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Confirmed. All gloss has been removed from my third party icons.

3. macrumors 68020

Sodner

My twitter icon still has gloss. Running b2.

4. macrumors 65816

It couldn't have added the drop shadow to the clock, though. It's changed from an inner shadow to a drop shadow. Weird.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't iPads show slightly different (developer provided) icons than the iPhone version of the app? So all universal apps would come with two icons. Perhaps because there's no gloss, it's showing this version?

I might be completely wrong :D

5. macrumors 65816

Jare

As most developers know, Apple adds an option for you to "add a layer" gloss to your icon via xcode settings. All Apple has done is removed this.

So apps that have this setting ticked in xcode, will have their gloss removed. Some apps use their own designed gloss, some don't. That's why you see inconsistencies.

6. macrumors member

A couple of my icons are broken.... I tired deleting and reinstalling but they are still broken. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372181888.190743.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372181897.672124.jpg

7. macrumors 601

Armen

this was covered in a podcast I was listening to. Apparently the Dunkin Donuts app icon is completely different on iOS 7 and no one knows why LOL.

8. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Yeah I saw this on 9to5mac. Still not sure how the Dunkin Donuts app got completely changed though...

9. macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

10. macrumors newbie

Cracked.com changed to, looks like these developers are step ahead.

11. macrumors 65816

Jare

Re-quoting myself so you guys can see the answer.

12. macrumors regular

That doesn't explain how the clock's hands went from having rounded edges to having straight edges. There's more going on here besides a simple gloss removal automation.

13. Jare, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

macrumors 65816

Jare

You realize the icons you see in the App Store (or on iTunes on your PC) are NOT the app icons you see on your homescreen?

I mean yes, most designers match both the iTunes-Large.png(or w/e it's called) and the icon64.png(or w/e it's called, can't remember off hand) but some do not.

That's why you are seeing differences. The iTunes/App Store icons are SEPARATE from the iOS springboard icons but are usually designed to match eachother, not always the case.

So yes, this is just a case of Apple removing the gloss effect from icons that have it enabled on the springboard. The developers with their own custom designed gloss will not see this change.

14. macrumors 68040

F123D

Wow, at your status bar..

15. macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Some icons have the gloss added within the icon and then in the applications plist definition, instruct apple not to add a gloss... Which would explain why some icons have the gloss even though iOS 7 removes the gloss effect.

16. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

You are showing a screen shot of the App Store. When submitting an app, multiple icons must be submitted, and the large App Store icon is different than the icon you see on your home screen. It's possible that they did not have a large icon when that requirement was made and had to make a new one (but still used the old small app icons that already existed). That's what I had to do with my app.

17. macrumors 6502a

skippymac

On a slightly related note, I hope twitter change their icon soon. I hated it before but now it also looks out of place. I never understood why they didn't use a flat icon like the majority of their design work is! :confused:

18. macrumors regular

ha! I just tweeted at them this after noon to get their act together

19. macrumors member

Tried a hard reboot, didn't fix it.

Deleted the apps and then did another hard reboot. Same thing happened again once the apps were reinstalled.

Its strange as they show the correct icon while downloading and installing but as soon as it finishes the install the icon breaks... Chrome's icon seems to show a tiny preview of a blank tab and Clash of the Clans just has a black icon.

20. macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I'm proud of you! :') :p

21. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

iBooks is still glossy in b2.

22. macrumors 65816

Jare

Check these:

23. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I know. I was just saying.