iOS 7 Installs Hit All-Time High for Beta Software

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to mobile publishing company Onswipe (via TechCrunch) adoption of Apple's iOS 7 beta software is ramping up faster than for previous versions.

For example, after the iOS 6 beta was released to developers on June 11, 2012, Onswipe noted two weeks later that 0.25% of mobile devices that visited the company's sites were running the iOS 6 beta. Devices running the iOS 7 beta, which was released to developers on June 10, represented 0.46% of total traffic to Onswipe sites as of July 1, 2013.

[​IMG]
    0.77% of iPhones that accessed Onswipe's sites were running iOS 7, while 0.28% of all iPad visits came from tablets using the beta OS, which debuted for the iPad just last week. Comparatively, during the same time period last year, just 0.19% of iPads and 0.38% of iPhones were running the iOS 6 beta.
    iOS 7 represents a significant design change for Apple's mobile operating system, which has been largely the same since its 2007 debut. It also brings a number of additional internal changes, including an overhauled Notification Center, a new Control Center, and redesigned multitasking capabilities. The operating system is currently available for developers, and is slated to be released in the fall alongside the iPhone 5S.

Article Link: iOS 7 Installs Hit All-Time High for Beta Software

2. macrumors regular

TimeSquareDesi

stating the obvious. millions upon millions of devices in the world run iOS, of course the # of beta users would also be higher.

3. macrumors 6502a

This obviously is a result of the UDID check dismission.

4. macrumors member

itsthenewdc

Percent doesn't really mean anything. What if the site had less overall visitors, and the percentages equaled the same number of beta devices?

5. macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Sweet, now let's time travel to the final version.

6. iAi
    macrumors 6502

Apple is doomed as most of those are Phandroids who pretended to buy iP5 and are as if for real beta testing iOS 7 just to prove they did it so they can bash it everywhere. Then once they are done, they had returned their still shiny iphones. The same mob who joined the scuffsgate party. It's a bigger "disaster" than iMaps and scuffsgate. Apple resellers, beware of those buyers with bulging enormous S4 or Notes in their pockets. /s

7. macrumors 6502a

I saw the /s, but, what?

8. macrumors member

Not sure what youre talking about, but you most certainly still need a registered UDID.

9. macrumors regular

CrimsonKnight

So I used iOS 7 beta 2. I really enjoy it. I like the translucent parts to the os, and some much needed updates, such as having a control center.

Siri seems to have had a big upgrade too, as it replies much faster, seems more accurate as well. Sounds less robotic in the pronunciation.

This is a step in the right direction for apple, I enjoy the changes they are making.

10. Guest

WeegieMac

No you don't.

Download the ipsw, hold the option key (shift on windows) and click on Check For Update when your iPhone is synced with iTunes.

Browser window pops up, select the iOS 7 ipsw, and off you go ... works best if you restore to a clean iOS 6 install first, as updating on top of a well used iOS 6 install can result in more crashes.

11. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Apple found a way to charge for iOS. Let people pay for a developer account so they can run a beta.

12. macrumors 604

iJon

Not sure what you're talking about cause you do not. I think it's because people were charging to add people to their developer list, so they've essentially killed people from doing that.

13. macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

I can't help but think a good portion of those "beta testers" are just people who shelled out the $100 to say they have iOS 7 before anyone else. Not for any actual beta testing.

14. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I really hope all y'all using the beta are submitting Radars when you find a bug and not just griping in forums.

15. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Hopefully its all those developers making their software compatible with iOS in the Car.

I can only dream...I already know Pioneer is testing, Alpine better be right behind.

16. macrumors 6502

I wonder how many of those people are actually developers versus eager beavers. Lots of people seem to be laying down the cash for a developer account just for the beta. Eager beavers!

17. macrumors regular

AstronomyiPhone

I sincerely hope you realize that you pay for a developer account for access to developer tools, not to test iOS betas. This is not an open beta, it's a beta for developers to get their apps ready for the final release in the fall. If people want to pay money to install a pre-release OS on their devices, then they're welcome to pay for a developer account, but that's not what the account is for.

18. SockRolid, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

macrumors 65816

SockRolid

Looking forward to installing it on a development device. Probably the new low-end iPod touch. Won't dare install it on my personal iPhone and iPad until very late in the beta period.

And why would I bother with iOS 7 beta? Why not wait until the official release along with the iPhone 5S, then wait for older iPhone / iPad users to upgrade? Because it looks like it might be such a game changer that developers will update their apps to only run on iOS 7+. Because any app that is backward compatible with iOS 6 will look dated and old-school.

iOS 7 will probably thin the herd. Developers who can't or won't commit to the all-new GUI will be left behind. New developers with brand-new apps will have a chance to shine. Better to plant the stake and start updating our apps right now for iOS 7 and beyond.

19. 09sroyal, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

macrumors member

Could someone translate this into English please?

----------

It's a percentage...

----------

You don't, there is a way around it for this release that apple have missed. Many people are using it.

20. macrumors 6502a

lol you said beavers

21. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

No, you don't. There's a workaround with this beta.

22. macrumors 6502

Mac Fly (film)

OnSwipe? You mean the d i c k heads who make that software that ruins websites for the iPad?

23. macrumors newbie

I assure you,
    That you do not need a registered UDID.
    Let's hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here

24. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

This method also worked for iOS 6, I believe.

25. macrumors 601

And it was like this with 6.0+ I believe. I always wait and install the GM when it us relased a week or two before it os out for the public.