iOS 7 is killing my iPhone 5 battery!!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by redshovel, Sep 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

redshovel

Since installing iOS 7 my battery is dissipating faster than ever before. It's not even going to last half a day.... Not meaning to sound dramatic ....but my iPhone is effectually useless now.
    [​IMG]

2. macrumors 6502

navodwickra

3. macrumors regular

adamgbiggs

Try a restore, it may help.
    Apple need to sort this out ASAP.

Adam.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

I have followed all the battery saving advice tips I can find, including background app refreshing, and still the battery plummets when I use the iPhone!

5. macrumors 65816

Wait a sec, 87% battery usage when you've charged it up 15 hours ago and have used it for 2 of those 15 hours isnt really that bad?!

My battery usage has improved with the update

6. macrumors member

That's awful.

Definitely a bug or something gone wrong.

I'm at 20% remaining with 4 hours usage and 1 day standby. I have 3G on, Wifi on, location services and background app refresh.

iPhone 4S.

Maybe try a clean install.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

"Isn't really that bad"..... U are joking??. My iPhone 5 was getting 6 hours use on the same charge with ios6. For the first time ever today I am having to carry around a USB recharge unit.
    And it's as well I have became below is my usage will all battery saving tips in place and screen brightness whacked rite down! [​IMG]

----------

Clean install.....never had to before so....how does that go again :)

8. macrumors 65816

Pagemakers

I used up from 100% to 13% queuing to buy the 5S today - 4 hours.

9. macrumors regular

Reset all content and settings, then restore from your iCloud backup. After I did this my iphone 5 lasted the longest I've seen in awhile before shutting off (6 hrs usage and over 1 day standby)

10. macrumors newbie

I'm losing around 1% every 1-3 minutes on safari... Auto brightness is turned off, wifi off, parallex off, Bluetooth off, location services off for most services..
    I'm with excellent coverage.
    Nothing else is running.
    I don't like ios7 very much so far...

Oh and I installed ios7 on Recovery mode.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

Thank you for advice.....will try a clean install then when I get home. Hope it makes a difference.

12. macrumors 68030

I really don't think any of the supposed fixes do much. There's clearly a big issue that happened between Beta 6 and the GM, and we're going to have to wait for a fix.

13. macrumors 6502a

My battery was doing poorly as well (however not nearly as bad as the OP). I disabled weather, many location services, parallax and auto update. Now doing rather well. Didn't care about those options anyway. Brightness set to around 35%.

14. macrumors 65816

On iOS 6 I was lucky to get through a working day with more than 10% Battery left. Yesterday I got through and entire working day with 60% left...... Hence my bemusement that you think 15 hours on a battery is bad.

15. macrumors newbie

I hope you find a working solution.
    On a slightly less serious note
    [​IMG]

16. macrumors member

Mr.Chow

I have the same issue. What I found out so far is that when I'm at home and connected to wifi that battery usage is as good as in iOS 6. Maybe turning off wifi when you're on cellular may work?! Haven't tried that yet.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

My standby time seems to be holding ok....it's when I use the phone for anything you can watch the battery drop off a cliff!

14:00 and down to 1%......better get my USB charger pack out.....dam that's flat too :(

I like the look of ios7, but it has sure wreaked this phone!
    [​IMG]

18. thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

Well after a restore my battery appears to be somewhat back to normal. Not just as good as ios6 but it's now at least usable!
    Judging by the hundreds of ppl I have seen on twitter moaning I think mine is a wide spread problem and lots of ppl will have to do a restore.... Problem is many them won't know how or won't be bothered and just keep moaning. Thing is... a restore shouldn't really be needed in the first place .

19. macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I was experiencing poor battery life too. I disabled Background App Refresh and turned off AirDrop. Battery seems to be back to normal today.

I might try turning one of those things back on and see if it changes another day.

20. macrumors 65816

iPhone 5 seems to have taken the biggest battery hit with 7.0.

My 4S is just as good as it was on 6.

I did a restore, iTunes install, and set up as new. No issues.

21. macrumors member

Did you restore from an iCloud backup too?

22. macrumors 603

Armen

Can you please search? There are at least 20 other threads with fixes.

P.S. check Tapatalk settings. It's set to auto refresh every 30 minutes. You may want to turn that off too.

23. macrumors 68030

15 hours standby with two hours of usage is TERRIBLE. You won't find a single Apple employee that wouldn't replace his phone in a second if he has tried restoring his phone's data and settings.

24. macrumors 6502

I'm getting similar usage stats to the TS.

No bluetooth on.

It was fine on the last beta, the GM just started killing the battery though.

25. macrumors 68000

pooleman

Was this from the Apple's new iOS 7 user guide?