Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ensorceled

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
iOS7 Motion Sickness

I get motion sickness from my iPhone running iOS7. I've had an iPhone since they became available in Canada. I have bought so many Apple products that when I swam in the ocean with my brand new, factory unlocked iPhone 4 in my pocket they simply "comped" me a new one.

I can play TF2 and L4D; Infinity Blade and Skyrim make me motion sick.

I can ride roller coasters, but tilt-a-whirls and shake-and-bakes make me motion sick.

I can only ride boats if I focus on something out side of the boat. I'm fine on planes unless there is turbulence ... then I have to stare out the window or puke.

I can't read in cars. When I'm a passenger in a car I can only use my iphone to navigate in short bursts and then I have to look out the window for a while.

To all of the haters on this thread: why do you think the motion reduce feature is already there ... because we're making this up and Apple is humouring us?

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
To all the ladies and gentlement here suffering from motion sickness, I give you Apple's newest accessory:

The iSqueege

squeegee.jpg

It comes in Midnight Black, Desert Yellow, and Cobalt Blue. Order yours today for the low, low price of $74.99. Once you own one, you'll wonder how you were able to live without it!

ensorceled

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
Since when flight simulators use 4" displays ?
You clearly don't know what are you speaking about ....

Motion sickness in a flight sim is caused by the disagreement that exist between what you see and what your inner ear feel. We are speaking about something a little bit complex than a wallpaper on a phone ...

It's not about screen size, it's about percentage of field of view. And the percentage required is different for each affected person.

It's hilarious that you bring up "wallpaper on a phone", Apple has added a feature to turn off parallax for EXACTLY this reason. Why do you believe the other animations can't cause this problem?

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013

Motion sickness in a flight sim is caused by the disagreement that exist between what you see and what your inner ear feel. We are speaking about something a little bit complex than a wallpaper on a phone ...

Max do you also ridicule and laugh at your passengers who are feeling a bit sick in the air?

This thread is not referring to "wallpaper" or the parallax effect, which can be disabled with the "Reduce Motion" option.

Most of us are referring to the zooming in/out animation when opening/closing apps.

mRta03

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
So, I'm "glad" to know that There are other people around the world like me, because i've been called crazy for many many times and i'm pretty sure i'm not crazy.

Like many others reported, I also suffer from severe motion sickness and headaches. Since around 2003/2004 (around the time Half Life 2 came out), i Noticed that I would become severely nauseated, with headaches. And this has got worse since than: i cannot watch 3D or Imax movies, Playing FPS games, Handle to much brightness on the iPhone or on my Mac, and some days, the sunlight its just pain.

My point is: for those of you who don't suffer from this, consider yourself lucky. I know this may sound to you like just being too picky about something, but this condition can ruin your whole day. I have ios7 on my iPhone around the last 7 days and I didnt Noticed this effects, mainly because it's an iPhone 4 and the animations are different. But i do understand what is being discussed here; I'm having headaches the last couple days, and sometimes its just painful to use my cellphone, and even more If it has so many visual effects.

I own a Mac and an iPhone. I'm very pleased with both. Its not about being critic, but this has got to be discussed. Like the others said, I use my phone 50+ times a day; I don't want to feel like using the phone is painful. Because I cannot
do already many things.

D

dkmtoronto

We are, and many people seem able to keep up with the discussion here, fortunately.

Given the viewing distance, apparent field of vision, and information complexity on the screen, the physiological phenomenon seems real as discussed with the iPhone. Hopefully Apple will favor ergonomics over aesthetics as a trade-off, in an upcoming dot release of iOS.

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
For other people having this issue, are you using an older non-retina display?

I'm using an iPhone 5.

Been using the iPhone 5 running iOs 6 for the past year with zero issues. There are some animations throughout that version but don't affect me at all.

FFF84

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Germany
For other people having this issue, are you using an older non-retina display?

I'm using an iPhone 5.
normally I can not read or even use my phone in a moving car. after updating to IOS7 I got a feeling of nausea. I could not stand that for more than 2 hours, so I downgraded my software and "problem solved".

S

syd430

I thought it was the animations at first but it turned out to be the thin text (espicially underneath icons on the home screen), even though I have perfect vision and have no problem actually reading the text. Turning on bold text (settings -> accessibility) 100% fixed the problem for me. This is only on iPhone, I have no issue with the thin text on the iPad.

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Cannot believe how many insensitive idiots there are in this thread, Id hate to be your partner/wife/husband/gf/bf or even friends/family, seems like its all about 'me' and whats good for me. Because it doesn't affect me, it shouldn't affect others type of mentality.

Weather its a 1 in a million case or 1 in 100, There ARE medical conditions that affect people physically and/or mentally, So many strange illnesses that we never hear about but they DO exist.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I thought it was the animations at first but it turned out to be the thin text (espicially underneath icons on the home screen), even though I have perfect vision and have no problem actually reading the text. Turning on bold text (settings -> accessibility) 100% fixed the problem for me. This is only on iPhone, I have no issue with the thin text on the iPad.
Enabling bold text and reducing brightness helped for me.

I am also highly susceptible to motion sickness (can't read in a car, fps games give me headaches and make me nauseous after just a few minutes, etc.). As far as using the phone, I would suggest holding it farther from your face. The smaller the screen size as a percentage of your field of view, the less likely you are to suffer from motion sickness. Of course, you'll probably still find the lengthy animations annoying, but being annoyed is better than being sick.

Last edited:

1234mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Yes, I'm new and yes, I joined just to comment on this thread after doing some research to see if others were experiencing the same side effects as I am. I cannot believe the gall and nastiness of people on here. "Just because it doesn't happen to me, it must not happen". That is an incredibly closed-minded and destructive way to live your life. You all need to get a grip. Those of us who are experiencing these effects aren't asking for sympathy or special treatment. We know there are far worse ailments we could suffer. We aren't petitioning for a global boycott of Apple products. We're just saying it would be nice to have a phone we could use without feeling like we need to lay down to get our bearings/settle our stomach after using it.

I have not found a solution yet. The bold text suggestion didn't work for me. But I did send an email to accessibility@apple.com and filled out a feedback form at http://www.apple.com/feedback asking them to give us the option of disabling/adjusting the zooming and animation.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I feel well placed to comment here.

I have a hyper sensitive inner ear which plays havoc with any unnatural motion I experience. Even lifts (elevators) can make my legs feel like they are sinking when I get off. If I've been on a boat I can feel like I'm still on it for up to a week after I get off.

I'm also slightly susceptible to visual motion sickness. I have experienced mild nausea from 3rd person computer games and especially games with a jerky frame rate.

Back in the old days of counter strike I could detect there difference in monitor refresh rates and also low fps. My eyes can detect anything but smooth motion. I expect that is what is happening hear.

I have no problem on my iPhone 5 but I still see jerky animations. If this is more pronounced on older hardware it would be more of an issue. If your eyes notice this and continually and rapidly adjust to try and compensate it will make you feel mildly nauseous.

1 thing I bet most of you won't realise is at low brightness the screen subtly flashes, I assume to save power. People might be subconsciously picking this up.

With a bright environment and stimulating colours this might exasperate the problem.

Choose a low colour background, turn down brightness but keep it above minimum and try playing with fonts. Extreme cases look away during animations or moving around.

dcaries

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
me too

I have inner ear issues with extreme vertigo coming on even when riding a fast elevator. iOS 6 and previous versions never bothered me. Within 60 seconds of using iOS 7, the vertigo set in. I changed the accessibility features (bold text and reduce motion). Those aren't working. I tried using my phone in small increments over a few days to see if my eyes would adjust but it just isn't working. After reading posts here, I'll try the background color adjustments.

I hope Apple offers the option to change or eliminate the motion. It shouldn't be that hard... even MS Powerpoint offers it. If not, I'll need to convert to another vendor. In the meantime, if anyone knows how to go back to iOS 6, please post.

Thanks.

PS - For those doubters and haters out there - sit back, stop reading this thread, and leave those of us trying to find a solution alone. Would you be this rude to someone trying to connect a bluetooth headset?

hooplehead

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Believe what you will, but we are not making this up. Do you really think there is a conspiracy among hundreds of users to try to make apple look bad on this one issue?

There are many reports now in forums and the media about similar experiences with the zooming animation. See some of the media links I posted earlier if you care to open your mind about the reality of this issue.

This thread has almost 100 posts and 10000 views these past few days so this is telling me this is a real issue affecting many loyal iphone users who are hoping for a solution.

I've owned the last 4 generations of iPhones and this is the first time I'm posted on this forum because this is a serious problem. I'm not one to complain about neon green icons or fonts I don't like. I can live with those. But I, like many others are actually feeling sick from the animations.

I have stated many times that I love my iphone5 and am generally happy with ios 7. I am not here to complain but to share my experience in the hopes apple gives us an option to disable the zooming animation soon.

Just because this issue doesn't affect you, doesn't mean that thousands of others aren't genuinely feeling sick. Please have some respect for others who are having problems.

How do you make it from your bed to the front door every day? Don't you immediately puke when you see cars zooming by upon opening said front door?

I call HUGE...BS.

Cunning job, Samsung Internet Posting Div.

----------

What's most fascinating is how not a single one of the millions of people who had iOS7 in Beta had this issue. Clearly the odds are astounding since:

-it's well documented that 5-10% of people have motion sickness.
-this thread documents that this "motion sickness" is immediately apparent.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

The thin text could be exacerbating it: Because the text is thin and faint, it's hard to read so you hold the phone closer. That increases the screen's share of your field of view. So your brain sees more zooming graphics and less of the stable outside world.

Anyway, I just turned on bold text (under accessibility) and also increased the font size so that it looks more like iOS6. Luckily, I have on old phone running iOS6 for side-by-side comparisons.

Huge improvement in readability. Thanks!

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... I changed the accessibility features (bold text and reduce motion). Those aren't working.

Try increasing the font size so you can hold your phone further away. There are settings for it in two places:
  • Settings --> General --> Text Size
  • Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Larger Type

I'm not sure of the difference between the two, but I messed with both until my text resembled iOS6. Much better.

Would you be this rude to someone trying to connect a bluetooth headset?

Oh, probably. Just ignore them.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Cannot believe how many insensitive idiots there are in this thread, Id hate to be your partner/wife/husband/gf/bf or even friends/family, seems like its all about 'me' and whats good for me. Because it doesn't affect me, it shouldn't affect others type of mentality.

Weather its a 1 in a million case or 1 in 100, There ARE medical conditions that affect people physically and/or mentally, So many strange illnesses that we never hear about but they DO exist.

I know, its awful. My ignore list has grown yet further from this thread as I have no interest in what other things these insensitive people have to say elsewhere on the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.