Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Ugh. Can't believe how downhill the Music app has gone since it's inception. The arists selection that then gets sorted by album with songs embedded is way less inituative. The white on white now playing screen is ugly and so is the smaller album art display.

But I ESPECIALLY hate it handles lyrics in the iPhone. You have to long press to get them which only works SOME of the time, and then presents them in an very small white overlay box (covering up the album art) that resembles a conversation bubble with a huge amount of line spacing between each line so that you continuously have scroll because it only shows like 4 lines at a time. But worst of all, it does not change when the song changes. It still presents the lyrics from the LAST song! You have to click, long press (usually multiple times) and then the lyrics for the new song comes up. I hope the latter is a bug, but noing Apple, even if it is they will never fix this until iOS 8 probably.

The only good news is that Lyrics display is back for the iPad after being missing in the full cycle of iOS 6. However, it works the ame terrible way as the iPhone, although the scren space at least shows more of the lyrics at once.

I would I could go back a few generations and get the older Music players for both the iPhone and iPad. They were MUCH superior.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Ugh. Can't believe how downhill the Music app has gone since it's inception. The arists selection that then gets sorted by album with songs embedded is way less inituative. The white on white now playing screen is ugly and so is the smaller album art display.

But I ESPECIALLY hate it handles lyrics in the iPhone. You have to long press to get them which only works SOME of the time, and then presents them in an very small white overlay box (covering up the album art) that resembles a conversation bubble with a huge amount of line spacing between each line so that you continuously have scroll because it only shows like 4 lines at a time. But worst of all, it does not change when the song changes. It still presents the lyrics from the LAST song! You have to click, long press (usually multiple times) and then the lyrics for the new song comes up. I hope the latter is a bug, but noing Apple, even if it is they will never fix this until iOS 8 probably.

The only good news is that Lyrics display is back for the iPad after being missing in the full cycle of iOS 6. However, it works the ame terrible way as the iPhone, although the scren space at least shows more of the lyrics at once.

I would I could go back a few generations and get the older Music players for both the iPhone and iPad. They were MUCH superior.

its a little bit on the white side but I don't mind it

Anchang

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
Hello! What a mess! It is one of the features I use the most.

Can you share a screenshot to see how it looks like? I couldn't find any on the internet :/

NeoStuey

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
I generally like the Music app but agree that the displaying of lyrics could have been handled much better. I would have preferred a whole frosted screen like notification centre, with as much of the songs lyrics viewable as possible. I use CD scans for my album art and the lyric box doesn't fit with that choice, but I can live with it. The CDs look good together when the phone is rotated though.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tones2, not sure why it is different, but I only have to quick tap on album art to activate the lyrics.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I think the implementation of lyric in iOS 6 is the best. Just one tap and it overlayed. .

Anchang

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
Thanks for this :)

I generally like the Music app but agree that the displaying of lyrics could have been handled much better. I would have preferred a whole frosted screen like notification centre, with as much of the songs lyrics viewable as possible. I use CD scans for my album art and the lyric box doesn't fit with that choice, but I can live with it. The CDs look good together when the phone is rotated though.

Tones2, not sure why it is different, but I only have to quick tap on album art to activate the lyrics.

Cantello

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg
Any way to remove the awful large spacing between lines? I checked in iTunes and there is only a newline between lines, no double spaces or anything as it is displayed on the phone.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Long press? For me I just tap once and they show

AuthGirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
Canada
on iPhone5 (iOS7)

On iTune
1. Right click on song
2. Get Info
3. Lyrics Tab
4. Paste lyrics
5. Sync your iPhone

On iPhone
1.Click and play the song
2.Where the Album cover shows -> Tap once! Lyrics shows! if not, put your finger on that spot for 4 seconds then tap! Like ____ _ (one-two-tree-four / remove your finger very quickly then tap same spot again once)
3. you can scroll up and down, also you can select, copy..etc.

Attachments

• iphone_lyrics_authgirl.jpg
    iphone_lyrics_authgirl.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Is there a particular reason why Apple made the Album Art smaller for 3.5" devices? The it quite annoys me to see so much "space" wasted as white or blurred background (lock screen).

Cantello

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg
On iPhone
2.Where the Album cover shows -> Tap once! Lyrics shows! if not, put your finger on that spot for 4 seconds then tap! Like ____ _ (one-two-tree-four / remove your finger very quickly then tap same spot again once)

No need to wait, simply tap on the cover once and the lyrics show. With lots of white space and empty lines as discussed here.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
On iTune
1. Right click on song
2. Get Info
3. Lyrics Tab
4. Paste lyrics
5. Sync your iPhone

On iPhone
3. you can scroll up and down, also you can select, copy..etc.

I have 5 GB music in iTunes. How to get automatically lyrics for all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.