iOS 7 Users Complaining About Motion Sickness Due to Parallax and Zooming Effects

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Some users on Apple's Support Communities discussion forum are expressing discontent with the parallax and zooming animations in iOS 7, claiming that they have experienced bouts of motion sickness, reports The Verge. The specific thread, which spans over eight pages, has users discussing symptoms that correlate to vertigo, intense nausea, and dizziness and which are occurring with prolonged use of iOS 7 involving actions such as returning to the home screen from an app and using the multitasking menu.

Apple has included a "Reduce Motion" option within iOS 7's Accessibility menu, but that option only seems to turn off the parallax effect on the homescreen. Users in the thread have also called the company's support line, but were informed by Apple that there is no way to completely turn off the effects. After its release last week, Apple announced earlier this week that iOS 7 is reportedly running on 200 million iOS devices, which makes it the fastest software upgrade in history.

Article Link: iOS 7 Users Complaining About Motion Sickness Due to Parallax and Zooming Effects
  2. macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2013
    This is a bit ridiculous. Those who are having motion sickness from using a phone are perhaps better suited for a Blackberry.
  3. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005

People just want to complain about something.
  4. macrumors member

Sep 18, 2012
  5. macrumors 68000

May 28, 2008
  6. macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2008
    This whole article is ridiculous. Why is MacRumors giving credibility to something this ludicrous? Grow a pair, people!
  7. macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2008
    How do these people manage in everyday normal life?
  8. macrumors member

Dec 1, 2012
    Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion
  9. macrumors 65816

Jan 16, 2010
    Kennesaw, GA
    Oh gosh... Diarrheagate is this generations problem apparently. HAHA :rolleyes:
  10. macrumors 68000

Aug 1, 2010
    I'm having a lot of trouble buying this, or at least buying that it's widespread.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Wow i feel a ******** lawsuit coming from this. What is wrong with people. The zoom isn't all that different then before except it comes from the icon you open and not the middle of the screen and like the article said you can turn off parallax. Todays world is made of a bunch of little bitches who just "bitch" about everything.
  12. macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2008
    I have been a very long time reader of MacRumors, but never a poster... until now.

This is the type of article you should let The Today Show or Good Morning America tackle. Come on, MacRumors - you are better than this.
  13. macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    One wonders how these people walk around or drive cars without becoming 'sick'.

PS: Waiting for the inevitable class action lawsuit against deep-pocketed Apple on behalf of those whose lives have been ruined by iOS 7's zooming effects.
  14. macrumors member

Feb 27, 2008
    This doesn't disable the transitions between switching apps. That disables the background moving very slightly.

The complaints are real, unless you have the condition... you wouldn't understand. It doesn't really bother me but I can see it bothering some people. Apple just needs to include a setting to turn off transitions... problem solved.
  15. macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    I suggest holding it more than 5 inches away from your face.
  16. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2012
    that is true. But this generation has more of a platform to voice these concerns. Generations back didn't have this much media to bitch on.
  17. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    I have a bit of vertigo, I'll get really dizzy standing near a short ledge on a building or if I am falling a long distance in a video game (Only if I am close to the screen so it takes up most of my visual field.) I haven't had any issues with the animations in iOS 7 though. I am guessing it is only for more severe cases.

I do wish the unlock animation was shorter though. It seems to be nearly a second long...Plus on iOS 6 you could start swiping around immediately, now you have to wait for the animation to complete.
  18. macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2012
    I'd quite like to switch the whole lot off too, but only because it slows everything down: things like getting from the off screen to the lock screen to be able to input the passcode and then to actually get to the home screen. It's sluggish as an old PC now!
  19. macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2007
    These feeble complaints are making my head spin.

20. macrumors 65816

Jan 16, 2010
    Kennesaw, GA
    What kind of condition makes for this to happen? Also, are they sitting there staring at the home screen for hours? :confused:
  21. macrumors 6502

May 4, 2011
    Mumbai (India)
    There shouldn't be any complaining, you can easily turn it off. My complain is that it's too subtle to even notice, I asked them to increase!
  22. macrumors 65816

Apr 24, 2010
    Exactly, it's just troll-bait for the rapid anti-Apple posters on that website. At least it got the Verge 500+ comments and a bump to the front page since yesterday. :rolleyes:
  23. macrumors 6502a

Dec 21, 2011
    Prince Edward Island, Canada
    What ever happened to survival of the fittest?
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jul 13, 2008
    That's comedy gold.
  25. macrumors member

Nov 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.