iOS 7 Weather App - Stolen or Collaboration

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chrf097, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

chrf097

Now, we all know that Yahoo has worked with Apple to have many yahoo services integrated. One thing that is striking though is the similarities between the new weather app:

[​IMG]

And the Yahoo weather app:

[​IMG]

Now, one thing I've noticed is the heavier Yahoo branding on the new iOS weather app. The first branding is in the corner.

[​IMG]

Now of course the idea is that Yahoo is providing the weather data, but a second branding reveals a different source for weather data:

[​IMG]

Yahoo Weather and Weather.com both operate independently from each other.

Also, tapping either loads search.yahoo.com or yahoo.com, rather than weather.com or weather.yahoo.com

This leads me to believe that Apple either bought the design of the Yahoo Weather app, or Apple has worked with Yahoo on the weather app.

Thoughts?

2. macrumors 6502

Stolen... just the way I like it ;)

3. macrumors 6502a

More than likely Collaboration

4. macrumors regular

One of the blogs yesterday mentioned that Marissa Meyer was in the audience at WWDC so that leads me to think it's a collaboration. There's deeper Yahoo integration into iOS each version

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

That makes sense, considering Yahoo hasn't made even a single statement.

6. macrumors member

The weather app has always been "powered" by Yahoo, so naturally when they update their native app, the will do it for iOS 7 since it fits the theme

7. macrumors 65816

adam044

The iOS weather is provided by yahoo...

8. macrumors 65816

if you look at the design of the weather app, you can see the influence of its design in other areas of iOS 7 such as the notification center's Today's tab.

When the yahoo weather app was released I told my friends that I hope the new iOS would take design cues from this app and looks like Ives did :D

9. macrumors member

Look at the first screenshots bottem left corner. It is provided by yahoo, but it makes me wonder, if it where a collaboration, why would yahoo go through all that trouble to release a standalone weather app, if the new iOS has it integrated?

10. macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Interesting! I believe that it's a collab. Especially because Yahoo! won the Apple App Design Award on Monday too.