Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Just tried using Apple Pay in my local co-op, second time and the reader doesn't pick it up. It was the same till as the first time, so I'm betting it's that reader as it picked my card up when using that instead. I know it's not my phone or watch as used them fine elsewhere. The woman at the till says it seems to work temperamentally, but I have seen her on other tills. It's annoying tho.
Had the same problem in my local Morrisons. One of the self service tills IPP350 readers refuses to accept Apple but will accept contactless. All the other readers work.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Had the same problem in my local Morrisons. One of the self service tills IPP350 readers refuses to accept Apple but will accept contactless. All the other readers work.

I'm gonna try it on of the other tills. No idea what the model is, will see.

Edit: just googled that model number, looks like it could be that.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Just tried using Apple Pay in my local co-op, second time and the reader doesn't pick it up. It was the same till as the first time, so I'm betting it's that reader as it picked my card up when using that instead. I know it's not my phone or watch as used them fine elsewhere. The woman at the till says it seems to work temperamentally, but I have seen her on other tills. It's annoying tho.

My local Co-Op has three self service checkouts. Apple Pay works flawlessly on two of them; the other is very hit and miss. A physical card works aOK however.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
It's reported that the limit has increased to £30 instead of £20 today but all the terminals need to be updated. I wonder how many will remove the limit altogether at the same time for tokenised transactions.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It's reported that the limit has increased to £30 instead of £20 today but all the terminals need to be updated. I wonder how many will remove the limit altogether at the same time for tokenised transactions.

Boots are meant to be. Wouldn't be surprised if Waitrose and the other official Apple Pay partners will too.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Strange really if they know that it is coming potentially next week which is also near enough when iOS 9 will drop they should start referring to Passbook as Wallet.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Strange really if they know that it is coming potentially next week which is also near enough when iOS 9 will drop they should start referring to Passbook as Wallet.

Well if they go live before iOS 9 goes out to public (not GM to devs) then it would confuse people.

They could use Passbook (iOS 8)/Wallet (iOS 9) but probably too complicated

Richy23

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Also had the 'coming soon' email from Halifax this afternoon! What's holding things up anyway, what do they have to do for Apple Pay to work for example? Can't be too complex surely with a handful of other UK banks already on board?

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Also had the 'coming soon' email from Halifax this afternoon! What's holding things up anyway, what do they have to do for Apple Pay to work for example? Can't be too complex surely with a handful of other UK banks already on board?
It is extremely complex with bank, visa/mastercard and Apple to sort out the backend banking system to allow the tokenised transactions and authentication of adding the cards.

Richy23

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
It is extremely complex with bank, visa/mastercard and Apple to sort out the backend banking system to allow the tokenised transactions and authentication of adding the cards.

Ah fair enough.. maybe a little more complicated than I understand then! How come some banks started supporting it when they did.. and the rest we're still waiting on? :)

mporcheron

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Ah fair enough.. maybe a little more complicated than I understand then! How come some banks started supporting it when they did.. and the rest we're still waiting on? :)

My guess is that Apple works with a few banks at a time; rolling out a feature to everyone at once between five+ organisations is hard, and also problematic if an issue arises. It makes much more sense to add banks (and thus users) in stages.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
I
My guess is that Apple works with a few banks at a time; rolling out a feature to everyone at once between five+ organisations is hard, and also problematic if an issue arises. It makes much more sense to add banks (and thus users) in stages.
I second this. The amount of issues that have come out with HSBC show how difficult the process can be and having so many banks at one time go live in a relatively big market where contactless is already widespread would be foolish of Apple and the banks.

Looks like Apple has targeted groups of banks that the parent is the same ie Natwest and RBS / HSBC and First Direct and major credit card companies generally with American parents ie MBNA / Amex. Although the RBS group made the first wave and HSBC didn't look at the continued system faults RBS group keep having aside from Apple Pay. They had to get something right.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I'm a Lloyds Bank customer but haven't had the email yet.

I've been fortunate enough to use Apple Pay with my Santander MasterCard (and Visa Debit) so waiting on my main bank is no big issue.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
I'm a Lloyds Bank customer but haven't had the email yet.

I've been fortunate enough to use Apple Pay with my Santander MasterCard (and Visa Debit) so waiting on my main bank is no big issue.
I actually moved my main every banking to First Direct. I do have TSB originally Barclays but for other reasons as well as Apple Pay I changed.

Reactions: iGeek2014

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Tried to add my Lloyds Amex today and it went through to the verification page but then said "No Verification methods available", its now going back to the error.

A good sign that things are almost ready though (Atleast on the Lloyds/Amex front).

Reactions: iGeek2014

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have exactly the same issue as others with an MNBA Visa card. I can add the card to my :apple:Watch and my wife's iPhone but trying to add it to my iPhone results in this message:
Have been through fault finding with MBNA's :apple:Pay team and they say everything is OK their end. They were supposed to escalate it internally and call me back, but I am still waiting. :(

Finally managed to add my MBNA Visa credit card to my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.