Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkinners

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
8.0.1-8.3 iPhone 6 rarely gets hot. Only when I play some really demanding 3D games. It will gets a bit warm at the back.

Since I updated to 8.4, Phone gets randomly heat up.
Apple Music runs hot, Send couple texts in Telegram gets warm
Even download couple app updates via app store made my iPhone6 scorching hot.
Like an Android phone.

Anyone experience these as well? This is getting really irritating.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My iPhone 6 gets hot too with 8.4 and especially while running the music app (even just playing locally stored music.)

It did a bit also during 8.4 public beta 3 but not quite as bad as 8.4 official release.

etm0001

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
My iPhone 6 gets hot too with 8.4 and especially while running the music app (even just playing locally stored music.)
I noticed this as well. I can't tell yet if there is a corresponding battery drain too (presumably yes, since the increased heat indicates load).

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Same issue on my iPhone 5. Thought it was just me. This has never occurred to me before since the very first iOS 6 that came with it. Also updated via iTunes so I doubt it was something wrong with the installation itself...

Nonentity

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
+1 Add me to the list. iPhone 6+ gets very warm whilst streaming, and becomes unresponsive/music will skip like the processor is being throttled to reduce temperature.

Anyone tried restoring (fresh or from backup) yet?

C.O.T

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
Dublin, Ireland
Mine got very hot when installing the update. Also I've notice a delay when typing sometimes and trying to subscribe to podcasts in the podcast app takes about 6 taps..

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I upgrade 7 devices to 8.4 so far. Only 1 6+ experience warm running and battery drain (~50% more than normal). And end up is a newly installed 3rd party keyboard cause the issue, not 8.4.

You may check the battery usage to see if anything wrong. One of the typical symptom is that the usage time equals to the standby time. If that happen, a force usually can fix it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, I did.

I may let it play music for few hours continuously. However, I download the songs to my phone (activate iCloud music library, and choose the option to make song avail offline), I seldom let it stream music for few hours since my data plan only has 2GB per month.

gabriel193755

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
My iPhone 5 gets really hot when plugged with the cable (original). Doesn't matter if recharging or plugged to my iMac.

gabriel193755

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Think that's normal. If it's plugged in it's charging
Nope. It wasn't like this before. It started getting really hot since I updated my iPhone to iOS 8.4 (first I did an OTA update, so I thought that was the reason why my phone was getting so hot. So I did a clean install and it is still getting really hot).

I thought about to install iOS 8.3 again, but I like having Apple Music though.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Nope. It wasn't like this before. It started getting really hot since I updated my iPhone to iOS 8.4 (first I did an OTA update, so I thought that was the reason why my phone was getting so hot. So I did a clean install and it is still getting really hot).

Try turning off background app refresh and see if that helps.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach

Try disabling Connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.