Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Use plex media server.

Or JRiver Media Center. Works great on multiple devices / OSes for music and video and even photos (although not in the Mac version...).

Until the day that Apple finally turns iTunes back into a media player and not an every-Apple-related-function-on-earth app, I won't go near it.

I also think streaming music is a waste and want to OWN all my media and listen mostly to obscure rock, jazz, and classical that is unlikely to even be on their service. I also listen to a lot of DVD-Audio, SACD, and Bluray multi-channel and high bitrate music which I'm pretty sure iTunes doesn't support.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm sure half the people throwing a fit and saying they're done with Apple will be back here complaining about something new in iOS 9.2, 9.3, or 10.

New outrage, same ending to the story.

Well if Apple were to stop removing features people depended on and calling it innovation, then people would. iOS 8 has been a joke the whole time, and it is still a poor performer even wit 8.4. The new music app is a shambles. There is no excuse. Apple has a lot of money.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
All the knee jerk reactions in here is ROFLOL.

Seems most of you don't take into account that home sharing would have to be monetized for rights holders. Streaming is strictly controlled because the artists don't want to give their stuff away for free.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
GAWD DANIT GAWD DANIT
GREED STRIKES AGAIN
THANKS APPLE :)
I love how you are becoming more and more greedy just like you did the Mac Mini and soldered parts.

Soldering the RAM into the Mac Mini was a security feature, same as the MacBook Pro's. Pulling the RAM and putting it back in would clear firmware passwords and Find My Mac lock. Max out the RAM when you buy it and you don't have anything to worry about.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
I do this all the time - stream my own ripped / purchased music from my own Mac Mini "server". If it is removed, that is a crippling blow to a primary use :(

Reactions: jyroflux

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Just because you're not aware of it doesn't mean a lot of us with 16GB iPhones shouldn't care. We now can't stream our own 100+GB Music library in our own homes. Apple is forcing us to buy larger cap iPhone/iPads to keep more Music available at a moments notice or pay for subscriptions (Match, AppleMusic) , whereas before I could stream my entire library for free from my office into my bedroom or downstairs workshop. Thanks Apple! and goodbye.

You can still use AirPlay from your phone to stream music to your computer or AppleTV.

I've honestly never used home sharing. I always just use AirPlay to push my music from whatever device I'm using to my AppleTV / Computer.

Reactions: chabig

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I do this all the time - stream my own ripped / purchased music from my own Mac Mini "server". If it is removed, that is a crippling blow to a primary use :(

As has even said multiple times Home Sharing still works from AppleTV and computers... they only removed it for Home Sharing FROM an iOS device.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Deeply cynical move from Tim Cook's nickel and diming Apple.

As a couple, one could freely share one's treasure-hoard with one's wife with Home Sharing. Thank you, Steve Jobs.

Now, Apple want you to pay $20,000 (over 100 years) to do the same thing.

I doubt either you or Apple are around in 100 years :p

edit: someone beat me to it, oops

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Well if Apple were to stop removing features people depended on and calling it innovation, then people would. iOS 8 has been a joke the whole time, and it is still a poor performer even wit 8.4. The new music app is a shambles. There is no excuse. Apple has a lot of money.
First of all, plenty of people are having good experiences with iOS 8.4. So it's not universally a "poor performer". Now, point to me where Apple has claimed that removing Home Sharing in iOS is innovative. If they didn't do that, why did you bring up the whole "innovation" bit?

When people get irritated at something Apple does, they tend to bring their entire laundry list of everything that Apple has done wrong in their eyes within the past few years. If a company has wronged you so much, why stick with them? Inevitably, refusal to switch platforms leads to spending more money on the platform that will likely continue to disappoint you, which makes it harder to cut ties, which leads to spending more money... etc.

I mean, maybe this isn't a huge deal for you. But for those that it is, explore your options. Android probably has everything you want, and then some.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
As long as I can airplay all my media to where I need it, I'm good. And after reading this announcement, I tried everything. All works as before for me. So, non issue here!! :)

Reactions: chabig and friedmud

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Wow this really sucks. Recently moved back home and we loved Home Sharing. My sister listened to my music all of the time. Hopefully it is just temporary due to coding, but if not, we may need to ask Taylor to make another letter. (Doubtful since I guess artists profit from it.

Help us T-Swizzle, you're our only hope

Last edited:

Muramasa

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
Seriously guys? You're choosing to lynch mob over this tiny issue? It's very apparent that this was a matter of rewriting the code from the ground up, and initially leaving out features to just get it out there.

What sense would it make to remove local streaming from Mac to iOS, but completely leave the the ability to have others take your music using their mac, completely intact? I honestly don't get all of you people that are saying "I'm done with Apple!!1!" over this.

Not to mention that there are like 1000 apps that still do this, available on the app store.

The way this article was written and the subsequent responses to it, genuinely make me feel like this was written as a fear mongering article, which I don't want to believe MacRumors would intentionally do...

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio.emt and chabig

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Downgraded to 8.3 on my iPod touch, which is where I mainly used Home Sharing.

While I can sync the library, songs won't play. It skips through each song; I've seen this before, usually there's something up with iTunes.

At this point, I'm thinking the screwed up keynote for Apple Music should have been a warning. As of right now, for no discernable reason, iTunes is maxing out a core at 100% CPU, my fans have spun up and it's getting hot.

Force Quit. Wonderful.

EDITED to add: restart iTunes and reboot iPod and all is well - home sharing working again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Oh man....!!

Just when thought u got used to something, Apple pulls the plug on it..

Me thinks its content creators on board with Apple music wanted this removed... Just my guess. :)

Another possibly maybe Apple found issues.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Seriously guys? You're choosing to lynch mob over this tiny issue? It's very apparent that this was a matter of rewriting the code from the ground up, and initially leaving out features to just get it out there.

What sense would it make to remove local streaming from Mac to iOS, but completely leave the the ability to have others take your music using their mac, completely intact? I honestly don't get all of you people that are saying "I'm done with Apple!!1!" over this.

Not to mention that there are like 1000 apps that still do this, available on the app store.

The way this article was written and the subsequent responses to it, genuinely make me feel like this was written as a fear mongering article, which I don't want to believe MacRumors would intentionally do...
Agreed. The editor of the article is the one that suggested some sort of connection between the lack of home sharing and Apple Music, and tons of people in here took that and ran by deciding that there was no other possible explanation.

If you're so jaded towards a company that all it takes for you to see fire in your eyes is one person hinting at something negative, maybe it's time to move away from that company. I'm sure somebody can rattle off a list of past decisions that would lead them to believe the worst case scenario here, and that's my point- if you think a company is downright hostile towards you, why do business with them?

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Safari feels snappier, though.

But seriously, I actually used that little feature. Not cool.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Apple removed this feature because they knew it would piss off the Macrumors forum. The nerve! I'm so tired of Apple's walled garden that I'm going to cut off my own leg and eat it, and I'm going to send the hospital bill to Apple.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
First of all, plenty of people are having good experiences with iOS 8.4. So it's not universally a "poor performer". Now, point to me where Apple has claimed that removing Home Sharing in iOS is innovative. If they didn't do that, why did you bring up the whole "innovation" bit?

When people get irritated at something Apple does, they tend to bring their entire laundry list of everything that Apple has done wrong in their eyes within the past few years. If a company has wronged you so much, why stick with them? Inevitably, refusal to switch platforms leads to spending more money on the platform that will likely continue to disappoint you, which makes it harder to cut ties, which leads to spending more money... etc.

I mean, maybe this isn't a huge deal for you. But for those that it is, explore your options. Android probably has everything you want, and then some.

iOS 8.4 is jittery on A7 devices. It shouldn't be jittery on a clean install of ANY A7 device.

They've raved about the new music app, so it should be a better app. Instead it is missing at least on feature which Apple should have written in the release notes.

If you've not noticed, Apple makes it very hard to switch to other platforms. Overall many people also prefer the apple platform. however Apple has decided time and time again to release new apps with missing functionality that it has not informed users about. iOS 8 is a shambles and that is refelcted in the higher crash rate, ect.

A company like Apple should be able to release new software that is not buggy and that includes all the functionality of the software it replaces.

People who just accept dick moves from Apple just add to the sense that can get away with anything.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Agreed. The editor of the article is the one that suggested some sort of connection between the lack of home sharing and Apple Music, and tons of people in here took that and ran by deciding that there was no other possible explanation.

If you're so jaded towards a company that all it takes for you to see fire in your eyes is one person hinting at something negative, maybe it's time to move away from that company. I'm sure somebody can rattle off a list of past decisions that would lead them to believe the worst case scenario here, and that's my point- if you think a company is downright hostile towards you, why do business with them?
Or perhaps Apple should tell users that they've removed important functionality? Or they should stop being lazy and leaving features out of updates.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I rarely use home sharing because this will block my account from switching between regions.
Sweet.
As long as I will constantly need to change between regions, such features would just become useless.

Talking about this feature removal, everything comes from human desire of more profit, in whatever form. It's natural. But! If they just want to get money from customers, then they will get No money from any customers. After that, who gives the money to them? Government? Kidding.

Talking about sharing, copyright should be used as a protection of content, and force other people show proper respect to content and the creator, but no be used as a protection of gaining profit from it. Granting profit from created contents should follow market rules. This means better contents could earn more money, and worse contents earn less money. Pirating should be limited, but can hardly be removed. If listening to music with others is considered as pirating contents, then I can only say: we would better not building universities because sharing knowledge could be considered as pirating.

Well, I can realise I will mess up everything in here by myself. So I end up here.

Frojo

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Rural,UK
Home Sharing is intact on my home network and all devices, as before. I have not enabled the  music trial.
Therefore, it is not 8.4 which removes home sharing,but signing up that does it.

Reactions: FuNGi

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Home Sharing is intact on my home network and all devices, as before. I have not enabled the  music trial.
Therefore, it is not 8.4 which removes home sharing,but signing up that does it.
So, you mean, to force users paying home sharing plan, Apple removes home sharing function for music on all subscribers? If so, that would make sense. If not, well, that would be another story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.