Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
I have an even bigger headline:

Apple will release IOS this fall and there will be the next model of iPhone released at the same time! ::Everyone - shock and awe::

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I hope it comes with a dark theme

/s

When did down-voting return?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 10.47.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 10.47.14 AM.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 71

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I hope it comes with a dark theme

/s

When did down-voting return?

I was about to point out the same thing. Perhaps mods/admins retain the ability to down vote, and one chose to exercise this ability on a generic post-first-read-article-later comment.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Autumn

GENERAL QUESTION:

Why can't the USA call Autumn season by its proper name, as the rest of the world does? Why this childish 'fall' nonsense? "Oh, my dear 3-year-old, the leaves are falling from the trees, so now it is Fall." Please.

On a similar note, why can't the USA metricate, instead of continuing to use outdated Imperial measuring units?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Why can't the USA call Autumn season by its proper name, as the rest of the world does? Why this childish 'fall' nonsense? "Oh, my dear 3-year-old, the leaves are falling from the trees, so now it is Fall." Please.

Fall and autumn are both accepted and widely used terms for the season that comes between summer and winter. Some who consider British English the only true English regard fall as an American barbarism, but this attitude is not well founded. Fall is in fact an old term for the season, originating in English in the 16th century or earlier. It was originally short for fall of the year or fall of the leaf, but it commonly took the one-word form by the 17th century, long before the development of American English. So while the term is now widely used in the U.S., it is not exclusively American, nor is it American in origin.

According to Slate, British lexicographers begrudgingly admit that the United States got the better end of the stick. In "The King's English" (1908), H.W. Fowler wrote, "Fall is better on the merits than autumn, in every way: it is short, Saxon (like the other three season names), picturesque; it reveals its derivation to every one who uses it, not to the scholar only, like autumn."

;)

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
GENERAL QUESTION:

On a similar note, why can't the USA metricate, instead of continuing to use outdated Imperial measuring units?

Because we're stubborn :p

But as someone who attended university for Chem E., I embraced the metric system. Still haven't fully gotten Fahrenheit to Celsius yet.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
GENERAL QUESTION:

Because freedom.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
GENERAL QUESTION:

Agree 100% with you. Just another of the many reasons the U.S is pathetic.

Roger Wade

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
I'm going to rub this update all over my willie.

----------

GENERAL QUESTION:

The U.S. ***** bigger than whatever toilet of a country you're from.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
Ahh good! I have some issues with my 5s running iOS 8 Beta 3. Like sudden crashes, music app restarts, long session of surfing makes it crash and so on.

But I hope Yosemite gets DP4 on Monday, it really needs it! DP2 was much more stable, with DP4 I have font issues, translucency issues, safari is almost broken, Launchpad issues, Notification Center has lags spikes which it did not in DP2.

I have reported all of my issues to Apple of course since I'm a part of the developer program, but I hope they bring in some new stuff as well, new icons, new interfaces, maybe iTunes (?) and I bet with DP4 they are preparing for the public beta.

It wouldn't make sense for a DP5 to come 3 weeks from Monday since thats late summer so I cross my fingers that beta is right around the corner.

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
GENERAL QUESTION:

I'm fine with "Fall," but I wish we would go to the metric system! Remembering how many of these makes one of those is ridiculous when you could just say .001, .01, .1, 1, 10, 100, 1,000, etc. and apply it across meters, liters, grams, or anything else.

12 inches = 1 foot. 3 feet = 1 yard. 5,280 feet = 1 mile. #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.