Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm going to still stick to the web version of TWC. Where i live the difference between my house an 4 miles east can be as much as 15 degrees higher. The TWC page lists surrounding communities. Probably not an issue for most of you, but essential for me.

Again, take it from a weather geek, WunderMap cannot be beat for current conditions. They include hundreds of private weather stations in their current conditions reports of temp and wind speed and direction. You can overlay radar, satellite, and fronts, among other data points. Some of the private stations are better than others, but you figure out which ones in your area are reliable pretty quickly.

For forecasts, nobody can beat the NOAA/NWS. In fact nobody is really trying. You can click on any point in the country for a 7-day forecast for that precise location, not some place that might be 20 miles or more away. If this was packaged as an app, then we'd have something really great. All of the commercial packages are basically the same, and all give out rubbish forecasts, way below the state of the art.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This will not replace Weather+ on iPad :) visually, it just looks better.

I dunno what Yahoo weather does, but how can going in-directly be less accurate ?

Are yahoo doing something here ?

Maybe Apple thinks more people will use if it had "The Weather Channel" logo.

Last edited:

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I miss the large current temp at top center as on iOS 7. It's easy to read at a quick glance. Guess I'll have to get used to looking at the left side of the horizontal timeline now. That's a shame.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
The Yahoo Weather app is beautiful on iOS :) use it more than the proper default iOS app.

Its all about taste, I guess. I can do without the random photographs in the background and think it looks tacky (maybe its just where I am from).

----------

Again, take it from a weather geek, WunderMap cannot be beat for current conditions. They include hundreds of private weather stations in their current conditions reports of temp and wind speed and direction. You can overlay radar, satellite, and fronts, among other data points. Some of the private stations are better than others, but you figure out which ones in your area are reliable pretty quickly.

For forecasts, nobody can beat the NOAA/NWS. In fact nobody is really trying. You can click on any point in the country for a 7-day forecast for that precise location, not some place that might be 20 miles or more away. If this was packaged as an app, then we'd have something really great. All of the commercial packages are basically the same, and all give out rubbish forecasts, way below the state of the art.

in my country, weather underground is far more accurate both in observations and forecasts. The Yahoo one (whichever it uses here) is usually way, way off and current conditions seem delayed by half a day.

----------

My problem with the built-in Yahoo/Weather app was the incessant attempts to hijack the default search engine.

No, I don't want to change my search engine to Yahoo.

I use the WeatherBug app for radar images, though their "hourly" forecasts aren't terribly dependable -- especially wind speed is almost always understated.

I cant remember that, but I am not surprised. I was starting to like Yahoo as an alternative to Google, until I read that they will not be honoring "do not track" requests from browsers, as they believe they know best - and that users want a customized web experience, even if they say they dont.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks, APPLE!!!!! I'm going to spend my 100 dollars and install IOS 8.

I stopped using Yahoo products since Marissa Mayer became Yahoo CEO. She didn't like that people work from home, as per her they needed to be social (or may be feel "company philosophy" better). Waste gas, time, make traffic.... I left Yahoo.

BTW: It is popular now to have 1/2 day meeting to discuss how to work more efficient.

Edit: I don't want to register my UDID , I spend 100 dollars and open dev. account, just for the weather app.

Last edited:

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I love the Yahoo weather app. Its just a pity its not accurate in Australia!

Or other places in the world for that matter.

----------

Thanks, APPLE!!!!! I'm going to spend my 100 dollars and install IOS 8.

I stopped using Yahoo products since Marissa Mayer became Yahoo CEO. She didn't like that people work from home, as per her they needed to be social. Waste gas, time, make traffic.... I left Yahoo.

BTW: It is popular now to have 1/2 day meeting to discuss how to work more efficient.

Edit: I don't want to register my UDID , I spend 100 dollars and open dev. account, just for the weather app.

Thats an expensive weather app!

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
What a shame... now how am I going to know what the weather is NOT going to be like?

If Yahoo! says it will be sunny today, I take it as a guarantee that it will be anything but sunny today. Can The Weather Channel give me that reliability? I think not!
According to the article, you'll still be getting the exact same information:

"Apple appears to have ceased using data from Yahoo for its Weather app in iOS 8, instead getting weather information directly from The Weather Channel."

"Yahoo's weather information is also supplied by The Weather Channel."

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
The Weather app having an auto-updating icon would be more useful than the clock. There is already a clock shown all the time in the top bar.

And the Weather app would only need to update every 15 mins or so.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When you actually download the Yahoo weather app. Next time I tried to search something on safari my search engine was changed from Google to Yahoo.
I've had that installed and have on another phone currently and haven't seen the search engine change.

phroggie

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
My pet peeve with both Yahoo!'s and Apple's app: I live and work in the San Fernando Valley. Both apps, when given a location in the Valley like Van Nuys or Northridge (both of which like most of the Valley are within the city limits of Los Angeles) will report the weather for "Los Angeles". The problem is that the weather reported for "Los Angeles" is based on the "station" on the campus of USC. This is in spite of the fact that there are stations at Van Nuys Airport, the campus of CSUN and many other places throughout Los Angeles. The Valley has a vastly different climate than the "City".

It would be nice if, when I'm in, say Woodland Hills, if it would give me the weather there where it might be 15 degrees hotter on a summer day and 15 degrees colder on a clear winter night than at USC.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Probably to make it more accurate? I don't know, this makes no sense to me.

I don't find TWC data to be all that accurate either. I prefer Weather Underground.

----------

It would be nice if, when I'm in, say Woodland Hills, if it would give me the weather there where it might be 15 degrees hotter on a summer day and 15 degrees colder on a clear winter night than at USC.

Check out the Weather Underground app. You'll get weather from weather stations from the big boys to backyard station setups just down the street from you. The results can be a bit wild until you figure out what to trust and what to ignore, but I find it way more current than the more public forecasts.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
That ui is very data-heavy, you would expect Apple to be a bit more minimalistic.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What a shame... now how am I going to know what the weather is NOT going to be like?

If Yahoo! says it will be sunny today, I take it as a guarantee that it will be anything but sunny today. Can The Weather Channel give me that reliability? I think not!

so so true. What is apple thinking!!!!

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Intellicast

I have a score of weather apps and I find Intellicast to be the best; radar is on the initial startup screen, there's a 10-day forecast and an hourly one as well one tap from that. Loads of other info a little deeper.

----------

I love the Yahoo weather app. Its just a pity its not accurate in Australia!

Not just not accurate in Australia, mate. We all enjoy that inaccuracy.

:)

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Yuck

The Weather Channel sucks. It's always off in my area.

Weather Bug is the BEST weather app around. 100% accurate all the time.
Christ, it's more accurate than my local weathermen.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
sad to see how long it took them to do this but yet it's still not enough

not enough for me to replace the weather channel app

jmh0523

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Glad they're changing

I'm glad they're booting Yahoo! because it's not accurate when using your current location.

I always have my home city saved because the stupid current location temp. is never right. I have to swipe over to the same city but not using current location and then I see temps that better reflect what's out going on out there. A bit annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.