iOS 8 Introduces Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Playback, Easy iOS to Mac Screen Capture

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iOS 8 introduces a new peer-to-peer AirPlay feature that will allow iOS devices to stream content to the Apple TV without the need for a shared network connection. Currently, an iOS device must be on the same WiFi network as an Apple TV, which can make it a hassle to use AirPlay when away from home.

[​IMG]
    The new feature is described on Apple's iOS 8 enterprise preview page, as delinking AirPlay from WiFi will make it far easier for people to use AirPlay in classrooms and businesses that may have complicated networks.
    With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.

Apple's new peer-to-peer AirPlay feature and the iOS 8/Yosemite video capturing capabilities will be available to the public this fall, following the official launch of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: iOS 8 Introduces Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Playback, Easy iOS to Mac Screen Capture

2. macrumors member

This is a big deal for business customers.

3. macrumors member

landroverz7

Nice, now hurry up Apple and release Apple TV 4 with built in 16GB storage, App store, A8 chip, 802.11ac, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0 port and mkv/avi support. Yes I am dreaming haha

4. macrumors 6502a

AirPlay is one of the most underrated features of iOS. This update makes it even better.

5. macrumors regular

Apple will never directly support mkv, but hopefully with an app store, that would be filled by 3rd parties.

I was so sad to see no Apple TV announcement at WWDC 2014. I don't see them announcing any 3rd party developer support for the Apple TV unless it's at WWDC, so we've got at least another year to go.

It's so sad after seeing what Amazon has done with the Fire TV.

6. macrumors 6502

When it works, it's awesome.

Apple need to improve airplay stability if they want more business use.

7. macrumors regular

CBJammin103

This could be really great for schools that have one-to-one programs for the students or the option for teachers to use iOS devices in the classroom or lecture hall.

8. macrumors regular

... So anyone walking by my house could stream Rebecca Black to my Apple TV ? :eek:

9. macrumors regular

What about peer to peer iOS (iPod to iPad AirPlay streaming)?

10. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

And with that, my daughter will start posting twice as many "Watch me play" Minecraft videos... (If she had a way to record from the Xbox 360, it would triple.)

11. macrumors regular

sik08amg

So correct me if I'm wrong but can I stream to my tv/atv with no networks even available? If so this is huge for me at work.

12. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This is what I'm hoping. But there was a very similar feature a month ago (which didn't actually do that) so I'm not holding my breath.. I want it so I can bring my Apple TV to locations with no wifi and airplay netflix from my unlimited iPhone data plan... This would have come in handy just a few weeks ago... But no, my iPhone can't even feaking use the remote app without being on the same network...

13. macrumors 6502

Agreed, i always look out for updates that bump its usefullness, but mostly goes untouched. Some relief here.

14. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

What on earth would you do with 16 GB of storage? Store like 3 movies?...

I can barely get mkv to work in VLC without crashing... On the other hand, iFlicks 2 can convert ~30mins 1080p mkv to m4p in about 2 minutes on a Mac Mini (apparently they frequently already use h264 anyways, so it needs little work), the upshot is that it now works in iTunes/ATV and doesn't crash VLC anymore.

Avi is another whole 'nother can of worms...

15. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Interesting.. previously did all traffic go through the Wifi router? If so, then the new approach might help reduce the latency in Airplay mirroring for gaming. Would be good to find out.

16. macrumors newbie

My hunch is that this is to reduce lag when gaming with Airplay and has something to do with the game controller announcement.

17. macrumors 68020

carjakester

Is it done through bluetooth or what..

18. macrumors 603

Only on Fridays. :D

19. macrumors newbie

anyone tried to capture video from an IOS device ?

=================================================
    With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.
    ================================================

I have OS X Yosemite and IOS 8 on phone 4S. when I connect the iPhone 4S to the MAC, it automatically launch Image Capture and get message " No Camera or scanner detected"

20. macrumors 6502a

never had any problems so far... even my diskstation airplays videos to it without problems, even if its not an apple device.

21. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Probably needs a newer phone than the 4S. (Just a guess, I don't have iOS 8, so I can't test.)

----------

No, it uses WiFi - it just makes a direct device-to-device WiFi connection. It likely uses Bluetooth "iBeacons" to discover each other, though.

22. macrumors regular

Yosemite too?

Will macs running Yosemite be able to screen share directly too? I presume this would solve a lot of stuttering issues. It would also make it quick and easy for presentations and possibly even make video via airplay screen sharing possible.

23. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Sol

I hope that direct device to Apple TV connections will mean less lag, so that Apple TV gaming can become viable.

24. macrumors newbie

Airplay for Spotify and browsers, please

At the moment I am using Airfoil to stream from Spotify, Youtube, and any other program on my Mac that I want to listen to sound from.
    Why don't Apple allow for Airplay streaming from anything else than iTunes? Now that they are changing how Airplay works, why not give us what we really need :confused:

25. macrumors 68020

T'hain Esh Kelch

AVI is an old and outdated container which no one should use these days. MKV would be nice though.