Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Based on web traffic data, it appears Apple may be hastening its iOS updates as it prepares to launch several major products in the coming months. As noted by 9to5Mac, the Cupertino company is simultaneously testing three major iOS 8 iterations that may be released according to an expedited schedule.

Web server analytics indicate Apple is currently actively testing iOS 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3. The development is an unusual one, as Apple typically only publicly tests one of each iOS version (full, major update, minor update) at a time, releasing major updates months apart after the initial September rollout. An example is iOS 7, which debuted in September 2013 and was not updated to iOS 7.1 until March 2014.

ios_8_2_hits.jpg
Visits to MacRumors from devices running iOS 8.2 now numbering in the dozens per day
The most likely explanation for this change in pattern involves major product launches over the coming months. The company is preparing to roll out Apple Pay in October, with the new NFC-based payment system almost certainly falling into the major software update category. Other products on the horizon include the upcoming Apple Watch and a rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro", both of which appear set to launch early next year and which would also require significant iOS updates to support them.

Apple released iOS 8 earlier this month with a handful of new features including support for extensions, widget notifications, and third-party keyboards. iOS 8 has had a rocky start, with the company temporarily removing HealthKit-enabled apps at launch due to an unspecified issue. Apple also released and quickly removed iOS 8.0.1 after the update disabled cellular connectivity and Touch ID on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices.

Article Link: Apple Testing Three Significant iOS 8 Updates Simultaneously Ahead of Major Product Launches

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Just fix my notification banners... Please.

And don't make the 4S slower.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I hope these include a significantly better Maps app w/ transit directions, increased Extensibility (possibly control center action widgets?), improved continuity features and bug fixes at least.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Still waiting on that biggest pipeline for this year. October event is going to be something.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So 8.1 is undoubtably Apple Pay.

I am guessing 8.2 will be improvements to iPad, such as iPhone 6 and 6 Plus style keyboard and support for new iPad and its new features.

And 8.3 for Apple Watch integration.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
I'm all here for this as long as 8.1 comes soon and that knocks out some of the major iOS 8 bugs.

iOS 8 really made me miss the stability of 7.1.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I used to wait impatiently for jailbreaks but these days I just don't see the point.

animations r way too slow by default, drives me insane

app icons r way too big by default

no quick reply for whatsapp & viper

wiping iMessage attachements still not easy enough

ipad folder layout sucks by default

no swipe selection

missing gestures

adblocker

cant change the Control center toggles

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It's good they aren't sticking to a rigid schedule. But wouldn't these all need beta testing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.