Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
The first third party keyboard I want, is one that actually changes the letter case on the keys depending on shift mode... just like every other software keyboard on the planet.

It's always been insane that, especially after mocking physical keyboards, Apple's own soft keyboard acts like a physical one by staying in uppercase.

(Plus I've lately had to explain to new iPad users why they're not typing what they think. Especially when iOS goes into auto-uppercase at the beginning of a sentence. That's can be very confusing to new iOS users, because while it's nice when you get used to it, it's unexpected, and they try to hit Shift which actually puts in back into lowercase mode.)

This, times 100000000%. I cannot stand that it always stays in uppercase.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You had to secretly watch the keynote?!

yes cuz i was in the middle of my tutored class and that douche kept asking me stuff while i wasnt fully paying attention. how dare they :D

This, times 100000000%. I cannot stand that it always stays in uppercase.

indeed ... thats why i will keep mine for now

2z7moao.jpg

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
One of the things I like most about Android is SwiftKey. I hope they make an iOS version.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Yep, this is one of my favourite pieces of iOS news today. I miss being able to change keyboards from stock (one things i did enjoy about Android), and id love to revisit swype. Although i'll definitely give the new default iOS keyboard a go, that also looks interesting.

Im liking Apples new direction. For me i went to Android for a bit as i wanted a bit of choice (in things like the keyboards), but in the end the messiness of this implementation made me come back to Apple, so now we're getting choice, with the lovely Apple implementation.

WTemple

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
3rd Party keyboards great news

Great news! the iWatch is going to need something new. 3rd party keyboard support can bring the most progressive new keyboards to iOS - like FlickKey.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes but the difference is google likely won't sure apple over swype.
Does Google own Swype? It's just a third party keyboard that is available in Android and now will become available in iOS. It's got nothing to do with anything Android vs. iOS.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009

That's because Swype isn't Google's to begin with. In fact, it was Google that created a Swype clone, which was silly because you could install Swype on Android to begin with. On an iOS device, you will be able to actually install Swype, not some Swype look-alike.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This is welcome news! Two things I miss from Android. Bigger screens and swipe keyboards! Looks like I'll have both this fall. I'm happy

I was just about to say this. Swype typing is so hard to give up. And if a bigger iphone comes out, they will have me as a customer for life (especially if they figure out the Reminders app bugs)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Google didn't invent Swype typing.....that would be Nuance - at least their app, Swype, was around before Google added it to the default Android keyboard.

Actually, Google took a bunch of 3rd party keyboard ideas and mashed them into the stock keyboard. Don't think there's anything "original" there.

Yet again shows, there's nothing new - its all been done in one form or another. Its the implementation that counts. In this case, Apple opening up to 3rd party devs isn't copying - simply shifting direction. They're also being far more cautious about it it seems with a specific extensions api that allows this type of thing in a highly sandboxed environment.

Implementation =/= feature.

----------

I was just about to say this. Swype typing is so hard to give up. And if a bigger iphone comes out, they will have me as a customer for life (especially if they figure out the Reminders app bugs)

I'll be all over the Swype keyboard if they release it on iOS. Loved that about my Android phones. Looking forward to it on my iPhones and iPads!

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Meh. No thanks to Swype or SwiftKey. I've tried them and didn't like them over here on Android. I do, however, really, really like Kii Keyboard so hopefully they jump on this bandwagon.

Next up will be Apple allowing third party SMS apps. C'mon biteSMS! Allow that and hardly anyone will even really care about jailbreaking anymore.

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder if you install third party keyboards if there will still be a button for voice dictation for Siri. In that screenshot for the Swype keyboard I see a little microphone icon, but I'm not sure if that's for Siri dictation or for third-party voice dictation built into Swype itself.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Can someone please explain the excitement over this? Aside from minimal annoyances at times over a few things like no @ symbol without hitting shift when the stupid field is for an email address, I'm mostly fine with the keyboards. Removing the dictation icon without disabling Siri would be nice -- I had to ditch it to take notes in class without accidentally hitting that button 90 percent of the time when going for the spacebar and killing my audio recording.

Basically I would just love to know some examples of why this is a big deal. Might just be something awesome about which I have no idea.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
I understand that 3rd-party keyboards will be hermetically sandboxed (no network connectivity) unless explicitly allowed otherwise by the user. But what if a keyboard logs my keystrokes, then discreetly passes them on to another locally installed "accomplice" application that has no connectivity restrictions? Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to finally see 3rd-party keyboards in iOS—so far I've been holding my breath every time I need to type on my devices, and the lack of a Tab key infuriates me. But Apple will have to do some very thorough app auditing/reviewing before approving those keyboard apps—at least I hope they will do.

In general, yesterday's keynote marks the end of whatever was left of our privacy. Apple devices will now know everything—our health data, our domestic habits (Home Kit), our documents (iCloud drive), our conversations at home ("Hey, Siri"), our telephone conversations (Continuity), our SMSs, … I am generally not phobic about privacy breaches, and I love technology, but this time I am beginning to cringe at the power (information) that Apple is able to accumulate, at least potentially, with our permission.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Google didn't invent Swype typing.....that would be Nuance - at least their app, Swype, was around before Google added it to the default Android keyboard.

Nuance provides a lot of technology to Apple - Voice Recognition, Text to Speech, Siri (to some extent), and now Swype.

If only Apple incorporates their voice biometrics too - that'll be pretty cool.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Wow, so original, revolutionary and magical! Samsung and Android can't wait to copy :rolleyes:

_______

Its about time Apple opened up the OS a bit. The only other thing I want is to be able to lock individual apps with passcode/touchID.

PMike

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
i wonder how that will work thought. devs can offer a keyboard in the appstore and it somehow gets deeper access into ios to make it work anywhere? or will apple pick some keyboard by devs and allow them as an option built into ios8

It has all worked perfectly on Android for several years. We can change the launcher, too.:eek:

----------

Basically I would just love to know some examples of why this is a big deal. Might just be something awesome about which I have no idea.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=keyboard&c=apps

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Yep, this is one of my favourite pieces of iOS news today. I miss being able to change keyboards from stock (one things i did enjoy about Android), and id love to revisit swype. Although i'll definitely give the new default iOS keyboard a go, that also looks interesting.

Im liking Apples new direction. For me i went to Android for a bit as i wanted a bit of choice (in things like the keyboards), but in the end the messiness of this implementation made me come back to Apple, so now we're getting choice, with the lovely Apple implementation.

I was 100% going back to Android if this didn't happen. I was using beta versions of Swype FIVE YEARS AGO on Windows Mobile. Having my typing speed cut to 1/3rd of what it was, was making me feel like I was an idiot for not just staying with Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.