Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I just updated to iOS 9.2 and for the past couple of days, it would randomly ask me for my Apple ID password. I would enter it in and then it would go away. Until the next time it would come back again.

How do I fix this!!

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
It should ask you after updating to input your Apple ID Password. I think it's a new reverification process that happens whenever the phone turns off and turns back on. It might ask you more than once if you have different Apple IDs for iCloud and iTunes & App Store.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
It should ask you after updating to input your Apple ID Password. I think it's a new reverification process that happens whenever the phone turns off and turns back on. It might ask you more than once if you have different Apple IDs for iCloud and iTunes & App Store.
Its asking for the same account every time. Once after the update yes but that should be all. This definitely smacks of a bug.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Its asking for the same account every time. Once after the update yes but that should be all. This definitely smacks of a bug.
Usually the dialog box says what the Apple ID and password is needed for like Facetime, iMessage, iCloud etc. When it happens, what is it for and is it the same every time?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Just another "me too" post here. Both my wife and I have seen this on our iPhone 6S (Plus and non-Plus). I was prompted once (with a popup on the Springboard), entered it, haven't seen it again. Strangely iPad did not have the same popup request but I preemptively re-entered it in iCloud settings anyway.

This is definitely different behavior than previous upgrades which, upon phone reboot, took us through a few pages of the initial setup process to ask for things like Wifi network, iCloud password, security questions, etc, which I wrote off as being an effect of Find My iPhone being enabled and Activation Lock. :/

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Same issue. Did this: Hold down power button until on power screen. Hold home button until returns to home screen. Hold power and home to hard reset. Hasn't popped up since. No idea if it's a coincidence or a solution. Either way I'm pleased it stopped. :)

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Ha
iCloud all 3 times.
Three times definitely seems strange but could actually be normal behavior. If it hasn't happened again for a while since the last time then I wouldn't worry about it anymore. If it does happen again I would sign out of iCloud and sign back in again.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Ha

Three times definitely seems strange but could actually be normal behavior. If it hasn't happened again for a while since the last time then I wouldn't worry about it anymore. If it does happen again I would sign out of iCloud and sign back in again.
Seems very unlikely that it's normal behavior, it has never been prior to this update.

kanu92

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
On Earth
I've been having the same issue whilst on the previous version before 9.2. I recently got an apple watch and since then its been asking me nearly everyday for icloud password, to which I provide. Its annoying the crap out of me even more as the watch buzzes when its required!!

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I have a single apple id but I got asked 3 times. Also educating a user on entering a password without an explicit reason is a very serious security risk

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I have a single apple id but I got asked 3 times. Also educating a user on entering a password without an explicit reason is a very serious security risk
Which is why I asked what the dialog box says it was being asked for.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Well, in my case there was no explanation.
Well...icloud but, is that an explanation? iCloud is everywhere...and beside that...iCloud...why? :)
iCloud is used for many things such as an Apple Watch, handoff, and continuity.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
iCloud is used for many things such as an Apple Watch, handoff, and continuity.
Yep, that's why saying "iCloud" in the middle of the home screen doesn't mean anything, per se. I really think it's a bad practice, security wise. As a matter of fact, the malware affected apps that a few weeks ago were present in the app store, just did that. They asked for your password in the home screen. As the things are now it's pretty easy to write "icloud" in the dialog box as an excuse: The user will be already trained to just write the password, because "sometimes" it gets just asked without a clear reason.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Yep, that's why saying "iCloud" in the middle of the home screen doesn't mean anything, per se. I really think it's a bad practice, security wise. As a matter of fact, the malware affected apps that a few weeks ago were present in the app store, just did that. They asked for your password in the home screen. As the things are now it's pretty easy to write "icloud" in the dialog box as an excuse: The user will be already trained to just write the password, because "sometimes" it gets just asked without a clear reason.
Weren't those apps that were infected only available in the Chinese market? Regardless, those apps have already been dealt with by Apple so presently it wouldn't be a threat.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Weren't those apps that were infected only available in the Chinese market? Regardless, those apps have already been dealt with by Apple so presently it wouldn't be a threat.
Chinese apps, but not only available in the chinese market, you could get them in Europe or in the US as well.
Sure, they were removed or fixed (after several days and they were available for months) but I'm talking about good practices. Because...**** happens!

Say you are browsing in safari on the mac and you get this pop up:
"your mac is infected! please insert the administrator password to scan your system and remove viruses".
What do you do? You laugh and close the window (and avoid that website in the future). That's because most users know very well that safari isn't supposed to ask for our password while browsing the internet. Apple doesn't have to fix this problem because the problem is solved by itself.

On iOS...meh. Sometimes i have wondered: "is this a legitimate password request or do I have some infected apps that work in the background and throw a password request in my home screen?" Especially when things are buggy and the password gets asked for three times!

In the end, you have a bad practice + bugs that make things worse. And these things add up to users thinking:
"Well, sometimes iOS we'll ask me again and again for a password and I'll just type it. It's how it works, it's normal".

This is dangerous!
It's a security problem waiting to happen.
Modal dialogs with password requests are widely considered bad programming when not linked to a specific an unambiguous user action.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.