Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid a growing number of complaints over iOS 9.3.2 bricking some 9.7-inch iPad Pro models, Apple yesterday pulled the iOS 9.3.2 update. 9.7-inch iPad Pro users who have not installed iOS 9.3.2 no longer see the update, with iOS 9.3.1 now listed as the most current version of iOS 9 available for download.

Shortly after iOS 9.3.2 was released, MacRumors began receiving reports that the update was causing an "Error 56" message on some 9.7-inch iPad Pro devices. Not all iPad Pro users were affected, but those who were saw their devices rendered unusable. The error message instructed users to plug their devices into iTunes to restore, but restoring did not fix the problem, leaving the iPad Pros bricked.

brickedipad.jpg
An iPad Pro bricked after installing iOS 9.3.2. Image via Twitter.

Since then, MacRumors has heard several reports suggesting Apple is replacing iPad Pros bricked by the update, with no other simpler fix readily available. Users who are affected should contact Apple Support for assistance.

Apple has said it is looking into the issue, but did not offer details on what was causing the problem. The iOS 9.3.2 update will remain unavailable on the iPad Pro until a fix is found.

Update: Apple told iMore it is working on a fix and plans to issue an update soon.
We're working on a fix for an issue impacting a small number of iPad units that are receiving an error when trying to update the software. We'll issue an update as quickly as possible.

Article Link: Apple Pulls iOS 9.3.2 Update for 9.7-Inch iPad Pro After Bricking Complaints

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
This is EXACTLY why we should be able to block automatic updates.
My phone downloaded an update and it annoyed me as I have every setting I can think of set to NOT do that. Deleted it a couple of times and it happened again. So I left it this time.
Then it told me it would install in the middle of the night and I’m pretty sure I declined that too. Now guess what the update has taken effect - don’t know exactly when. Now in this instance it was fine but………...

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Really? 4 days after the first reports of bricking iPads is when they decide to do this? There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between their support and engineering teams. This isn't too long after I had a huge issue with an iPad mini bricking after the activation lock issue a few months ago. This isn't a great way for a company trying to get enterprise customers to trust them to behave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.