Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
After trying to do a restore while my iPhone was on iOS 9.3 Beta 3, I noticed that all of the apps on my home screen were scattered across all of the pages, and I was no longer able to log into iTunes, iCloud, or any other Apple services from my iPhone.

I spent last night working on getting my backup to work, and since I finally got it working, I wanted to share what I found could work. I tried the following twice, and it worked both times:
  1. Archive your 9.3 backup - You will need to reference it later, so you'll want to keep it handy
    1. Open iTunes
    2. Preferences
    3. Devices
    4. Right click on the backup
    5. Press Archive
  2. You won't be able to get your backup to work properly when restored to iOS 9.3 Beta 3, so you'll want to download 9.3 Beta 2. It's available here: https://steveninelmasi.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/ios-9-3-beta-2-ipsw-indir-download/
  3. Restore the iPhone using iOS 9.3 Beta 2
    1. Plug your iPhone into your computer with iTunes open
    2. alt-click on the restore iPhone button
    3. Select the downloaded iOS 9.3 Beta 2 .ipsw
    4. Restore the iPhone
  4. Restore backup - You should now be able to restore using that 9.3 Beta 3 backup that you archived.
    1. Click restore backup from inside iTunes
    2. Select the previously archived backup
    3. let it restore, restart, and connect to iTunes after restarting.
  5. Go though post-restore setup on the iPhone - You still won't be able to log in. You can try, but it will say that you are denied until after the next step.
  6. Upgrade to iOS 9.3 Beta 3 through the OTA update in the preferences -> General -> update
    1. Note: you don't have to wait for all of your apps to sync over. iTunes will resume copying over apps the next time you sync.
  7. Once you have the update installed, you should be able to log into your Apple services.
I hope this isn't a common problem, but if someone else runs into this issue, I hope that this helps!

Reactions: Fyrts

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
If any mods see this, this post might be more appropriate for the iOS 9 forum rather than the iPhone forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.