Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I went to the Apple Store today and they gave me a replacement iPhone. I was unable to restore from backup with the replacement iPhone because it was on iOS 8 and my backup from this morning was on iOS 9. So now I'm at home and connected to iTunes and it does not give me the option to restore to the backup from this morning. When I look on my iPhone in Settings > iCould > Manage Storage it shows my backup from my old iPhone from 7:23 am ET. Is there any way to download that backup and load it to my replacement iPhone? Whenever I wipe and restore my iPhone it goes back to iOS 8 and I don't have the option to load that backup. I had like 60+ apps on my iPhone before and not that I need them all but it would be really nice to be able to restore that backup. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really appreciate your help.

Oh and I did re-update my iPhone to iOS 9 whenever I got home as well

Last edited:

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I went to the Apple Store today and they gave me a replacement iPhone. I was unable to restore from backup with the replacement iPhone because it was on iOS 8 and my backup from this morning was on iOS 9. So now I'm at home and connected to iTunes and it does not give me the option to restore to the backup from this morning. When I look on my iPhone in Settings > iCould > Manage Storage it shows my backup from my old iPhone from 7:23 am ET. Is there any way to download that backup and load it to my replacement iPhone? Whenever I wipe and restore my iPhone it goes back to iOS 8 and I don't have the option to load that backup. I had like 60+ apps on my iPhone before and not that I need them all but it would be really nice to be able to restore that backup. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really appreciate your help.

I was able to accomplish this by the following steps.

1. Restore to IOS 8.

2. Setup as new iPhone.

3. Download Beta Profile.

4. Upgrade to IOS 9 under Settings, General, Software Upgrade.

5. Once upgrade is complete go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase All Content and Settings.

6. Once that is complete restore to your iCloud Backup of IOS 9.

7. Download the Beta Profile for IOS 9 because Erase All Content And Settings will remove it.

Last edited:

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

1. Restore to IOS 8.

2. Setup as new iPhone.

5. Once upgrade is complete go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase All Content and Settings.

7. Download the Beta Profile for IOS 9, because the Erase All Content And Settings will remove it.

Thank you, the worked! I really appreciate your help.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands

1. Restore to IOS 8.

2. Setup as new iPhone.

7. Download the Beta Profile for IOS 9 because Erase All Content And Settings will remove it.

Hi, so do you think this would work even with manual backup from my Mac? My iCloud is full and I am getting a replacement phone next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.