Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With iOS 8, Apple introduced Continuity, a set of features that allow iOS devices and Macs to interface in new ways. One of the Continuity features allows the iPad and the Mac to receive both text messages and phone calls, so long as your devices, including your iPhone, are all on the same Wi-Fi network.

In iOS 9, accepting phone calls or text messages on your iPad or Mac routed from your iPhone is getting even better, with the addition of cellular support. With iOS 9, your iPhone no longer needs to be on the same network as your iPad or Mac for call forwarding to work.

iphonecontinuity.jpg

That means an iPhone can continue to forward calls to a Mac or an iPad even when it's in an entirely different physical location. So, for example, if you forget your iPhone at home, you can continue to receive incoming calls on your Mac while at work, so long as your Mac is connected to a Wi-Fi network.

The feature is tied to Wi-Fi calling, and as noted by The Verge, T-Mobile is the first U.S. carrier to support cellular Continuity. In iOS 9, T-Mobile devices have Phone settings that can be toggled on to allow calls on other devices.

"Wi-Fi calling for other devices allows other devices signed into your iCloud account to make and receive calls using your carrier account even when your iPhone is not nearby," reads the description of the feature.

On phones from other carriers, this setting reads differently: "Use your iPhone cellular connection to make and receive calls on devices signed into your iCloud account when they are nearby and on Wi-Fi."

Developers running iOS 9 who use T-Mobile can access this feature immediately, and beta testers will receive access in July, when iOS 9 is provided to public beta testers. It is not known if other carriers will implement support for cellular Continuity before iOS 9 launches in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 9 Extends Continuity Phone Call Features to Cellular Connections

Yellowbean12

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
That means an iPhone can continue to forward calls to a Mac or an iPad even when it's in an entirely different physical location. So, for example, if you forget your iPhone at home, you can continue to receive incoming calls on your Mac while at work, so long as your Mac is connected to a Wi-Fi network.

This is a really huge feature. Apple should've talked about this for a while and shortened that messy Apple Music intro :p

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
still need to solve 5 Apple devices ringing the same room.
you know, when you pick up one to answer a call and the other 4 devices are still ringing and you have to leave the freaking room because you can't hear the person on the call.
They need to treat it like Apple Watch. When all things are in continuity mode, only "audibly" ring the one that's on...or something like it. Maybe a default device like your...cellphone.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
you know, when you pick up one to answer a call and the other 4 devices are still ringing and you have to leave the freaking room because you can't hear the person on the call.
Also, when you take the call on your phone and later your MacBook is claiming you have a "missed FaceTime call".

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Hmmm, wondering out loud if I can leave phone at home, travel internationally with an iPad or another iPhone, stick a local SIM in it and receive calls/messages without having to pay international roaming fees. Local SIMs are so much more affordable than paying AT&T/Verizon roaming, which is probably why they will be slow to never adopting this.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Hmmm, wondering out loud if I can leave phone at home, travel internationally with an iPad or another iPhone, stick a local SIM in it and receive calls/messages without having to pay international roaming fees. Local SIMs are so much affordable.
I think lag would be an issue at that point?

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Wait, so wouldn't this work on your Apple Watch also? Actually, I forget if Apple Watch has wifi.....hmm..maybe not, nvm. Maybe some day Apple watch will have wifi.

jeffreyhyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Summit, NJ
Hmmm, wondering out loud if I can leave phone at home, travel internationally with an iPad or another iPhone, stick a local SIM in it and receive calls/messages without having to pay international roaming fees. Local SIMs are so much more affordable than paying AT&T/Verizon roaming, which is probably why they will be slow to never adopting this.

I traveled to Argentina last January and while being on WiFi I could use my T-Mobile iPhone to call to the US and receive phone calls. All worked great.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I get you about the multiple devices ringing but once I pick up one of them the ringing stops on all of them. Not sure why you're saying that they continue to ring.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I believe the answer would be yes on both counts :p

I think lag would be an issue at that point?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
What if iPhone is on wifi and iPad is on another wifi? Same thing?

What if iPhone is on wifi and iPad is on cellular?

What if both iPhone and iPad are on cellular?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.