Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Hi avatar-adg, congrats to your team and thanks for the wonderful Adguard Pro. For the first time ever, my Flipboard is also free from ad!

Thank you:)

I'm just wondering if enabling the VPN will impact battery life?

It should as the VPN itself does nothing and network traffic bypasses it.

Btw, it would also be nice to move or duplicate this thread to iOS 10 to get more visibility. Somehow I have not been receiving alerts on this watch thread, perhaps due to its low activity.

Not sure if it is possible to do it, aren't we limited to this thread only?

Also I have the very same issue with alerts.
[doublepost=1475623159][/doublepost]
Is there any way to transfer that list to the Pro version, other than manually entering every site?

No:( We still did not implement the sync feature as well.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009

Not sure if it is possible to do it, aren't we limited to this thread only?

Also I have the very same issue with alerts.
[doublepost=1475623159][/doublepost]

No:( We still did not implement the sync feature as well.

Really need that sync feature across iCloud login iOS/macOS

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I tried Adblock which also blocks in-app ads but it doesn't display the VPN icon in the status bar, so there is no way to know if you left the VPN On. It's actually better that Adguard Pro shows the VPN icon.

Only think I do not like is the VPN icon in the status bar but I'm sure that is unavoidable just as it is on Android with the notification.

I was using Adblock but it still allowed an annoying ad to get through in one of my most used apps, Adguard has gotten rid of that.
[doublepost=1475652018][/doublepost]Does the VPN affect the battery life or not?
Also what about the network speed - does the VPN server affects the network speed in general?

[doublepost=1475652064][/doublepost]Does the VPN affect the battery life or not?
Also what about the network speed - does the VPN server affects the network speed in general?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
I tried Adblock which also blocks in-app ads but it doesn't display the VPN icon in the status bar, so there is no way to know if you left the VPN On. It's actually better that Adguard Pro shows the VPN icon.

There is a huge difference between how Adguard and Adblock by Futuremind work. Let me quote my answer from our forum.

What they do

They install a VPN profile, which contains a list of rules controlling when iOS should try to use it. Each rule looks like "access domain example.org through the VPN". VPN points to a blackhole, so instead of accessing example.org, the rule actually blocks access to that domain. This is a very simple approach, but there was nothing better until network extensions were introduced.

What we do

We use iOS network extensions API. The downside is that this is much more complicated than building an XML file and involves some low-level coding. On the other side, this API allows us to control the filtering process. For instance, showing you the DNS requests log would be impossible with the old approach. Also what we did in the first version is just a small part of what we are planning and able to do (DNSCrypt, on-device DNS filtering, even full scaled ad filtering).

Here is one more important difference. Adguard Pro is compatible with classic VPN apps, which use VPN profiles. We keep track of compatible and incompatible apps here:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/162

For instance, it is compatible with tunnelbear, hola and f-secure freedome.
[doublepost=1475666287][/doublepost]
Does the VPN affect the battery life or not?

1. As I've said, your traffic stays untouched, so there's no additional load on CPU and battery.
2. There is no VPN server, that's why we call it "fake" VPN. So, the network speed stays the same.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
@avatar-adg Thanks for the info - very helpful to know what's actually going on. Good that Adguard Pro works with other VPN apps, I tested VPN Master Pro works in case you want to add to the list of compatible VPN apps.

Is there any way to block in-app ads when not not connected to the network, will on-device DNS filtering allow this?

There is a huge difference between how Adguard and Adblock by Futuremind work. Let me quote my answer from our forum.

What they do

They install a VPN profile, which contains a list of rules controlling when iOS should try to use it. Each rule looks like "access domain example.org through the VPN". VPN points to a blackhole, so instead of accessing example.org, the rule actually blocks access to that domain. This is a very simple approach, but there was nothing better until network extensions were introduced.

What we do

We use iOS network extensions API. The downside is that this is much more complicated than building an XML file and involves some low-level coding. On the other side, this API allows us to control the filtering process. For instance, showing you the DNS requests log would be impossible with the old approach. Also what we did in the first version is just a small part of what we are planning and able to do (DNSCrypt, on-device DNS filtering, even full scaled ad filtering).

Here is one more important difference. Adguard Pro is compatible with classic VPN apps, which use VPN profiles. We keep track of compatible and incompatible apps here:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/162

For instance, it is compatible with tunnelbear, hola and f-secure freedome.
[doublepost=1475666287][/doublepost]

1. As I've said, your traffic stays untouched, so there's no additional load on CPU and battery.
2. There is no VPN server, that's why we call it "fake" VPN. So, the network speed stays the same.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Is there any way to block in-app ads when not not connected to the network, will on-device DNS filtering allow this?

Could you please tell me how to reproduce this issue? It's just I don't see any ads when there's no network connection.

What app is it? What sort of ads?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
... e.g. this app: Kalkulilo; https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kalkulilo-scientific-calculator/id286091993?mt=8

With Adguard Pro On, when connected to the network it blocks ads, but when the network is Off, ads show up again - you need to close the app from the multitasker and relaunch. Most likely, ads are hard-coded in the app itself.

Could you please tell me how to reproduce this issue? It's just I don't see any ads when there's no network connection.

What app is it? What sort of ads?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
... e.g. this app: Kalkulilo; https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kalkulilo-scientific-calculator/id286091993?mt=8

With Adguard Pro On, when connected to the network it blocks ads, but when the network is Off, ads show up again - you need to close the app from the multitasker and relaunch. Most likely, ads are hard-coded in the app itself.
Yeah, people got wise and started turning on airplane mode to thwart the ads. Then, the developers got wise and started hard-coding ads into their apps - or added code that would download ads in the background and save them to display them when the network wasn't available.

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
I just bought Adguard Pro. Really like it. Is there a way to implement a firewall for certain apps like in the android version?

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
With Adguard Pro, is there any issue of privacy when using the VPN? Is any of the data from the device stored outside of the device?

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Adguard Pro - can you please block in app ads for Fongo and TextNow both apps have ads showing even with Adguard Pro enabled

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
avatar-adg, can you do a comparisson between adguard pro and privacy pro by disconnect me? I have both of them. But i use Privacy Pro more often since it block ads in "Wattpad" App that Adguard Pro can't block. Also, the price! Privacy Pro is expensive at 63 AUD! Adguard Pro is 1.49 AUD. Just wondering whats the difference in terms of functionality, security and operability!

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Oh nice update to Adguard! 64 MB still seems a bit big for my 16 GB phone though.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply!

The ads are seems to be hardcoded, so it can't be easily defeated:(

I just bought Adguard Pro. Really like it. Is there a way to implement a firewall for certain apps like in the android version?

You know what, I've made a quick look and it seems to be possible. Filed a feature request on github:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/174

It will be very straightforward though. No smart features like firewall self-education and such. You either allow or disallow network access for a particular app.
[doublepost=1476052763][/doublepost]
With Adguard Pro, is there any issue of privacy when using the VPN? Is any of the data from the device stored outside of the device?

All your remote traffic stays the same except for DNS requests which are now use Adguard DNS. Adguard DNS, in turn, provides a no-logging privacy policy, so it actually improves the privacy protection for you.
[doublepost=1476052880][/doublepost]
Adguard Pro - can you please block in app ads for Fongo and TextNow both apps have ads showing even with Adguard Pro enabled

These two, right?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fongo-world-edition/id860809977?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textnow-free-text-+-calls/id314716233?mt=8

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
d66ea1597f12d7498a317f7f9914d61a.png
87b4485b0f6a259f8b7a8d948f503339.png

Take a look at the Photos, apps running and showing in app ads while Adguard Pro running

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
avatar-adg, can you do a comparisson between adguard pro and privacy pro by disconnect me? I have both of them. But i use Privacy Pro more often since it block ads in "Wattpad" App that Adguard Pro can't block. Also, the price! Privacy Pro is expensive at 63 AUD! Adguard Pro is 1.49 AUD.

Just checking, Wattpad free books? We'll check why ads are slipping through AG.

What for the difference, the difference is pretty huge. Disconnect app is a full featured VPN, so it actually routes your traffic through a remote server. Adguard Pro is not an actual VPN, your traffic is not routed anywhere.

That's also explains why the price is so huge, maintaining a lot of servers all over the world is expensive.

Just wondering whats the difference in terms of functionality, security and operability!

Functionality
Depends on what you need from the app. In terms of blocking in-app ads we're on par with them. Also Adguard is a content blocker, so it definitely better in blocking websites ads.

Security
Besides blocking ads, Adguard Pro does not add up nor decrease the security of your device.
What for Privacy Pro, in general, any VPN should improve security. For instance, when you use a public hotspot, it is recommended to use it so that you could secure your traffic.

Operability
VPN requires pretty complicated infrastructure to be maintained. Also it depends on the network settings, sometimes VPN protocol is prohibited by the network administrator.
Adguard Pro has less dependencies, we just need Adguard DNS servers to be up and running.

EDIT: It appears that Privacy Pro is not a full-fledged VPN and this changes everything. Everything I said about Adblock by Futuremind is also true for Privacy Pro: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rs-mini-reviews.1918483/page-36#post-23668156

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
Just checking, Wattpad free books? We'll check why ads are slipping through AG.

What for the difference, the difference is pretty huge. Disconnect app is a full featured VPN, so it actually routes your traffic through a remote server. Adguard Pro is not an actual VPN, your traffic is not routed anywhere.

That's also explains why the price is so huge, maintaining a lot of servers all over the world is expensive.

Functionality
Depends on what you need from the app. In terms of blocking in-app ads we're on par with them. Also Adguard is a content blocker, so it definitely better in blocking websites ads.

Security
Besides blocking ads, Adguard Pro does not add up nor decrease the security of your device.
What for Privacy Pro, in general, any VPN should improve security. For instance, when you use a public hotspot, it is recommended to use it so that you could secure your traffic.

Operability
VPN requires pretty complicated infrastructure to be maintained. Also it depends on the network settings, sometimes VPN protocol is prohibited by the network administrator.
Adguard Pro has less dependencies, we just need Adguard DNS servers to be up and running.

Thank you so much! By the way, i tried wattpad again using Adguard Pro and the ads are gone too! Wow! I'm sticking with both for now! Keep up the good work guys!

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
When Adguard DNS is enabled, streaming YouTube -> TV stop working :(
Same issue, chromecast works but not smart tv streaming, doesn't even show the option!

Could you please check it with any other VPN app? I wonder if this is an app's own limitation, something like: do not work if any VPN is on?
[doublepost=1476194884][/doublepost]
Yes those two apps, both also in Canadian AppStore and both apps are free

We'll check it, thank you!

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/176
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/177
[doublepost=1476195507][/doublepost]@zz_nosa_r

After further reading about Privacy Pro I came to a conclusion, that this is not a full-fledged VPN:
We use Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology to set a configuration profile that prevents trackers and hackers from accessing your Internet activity. Unlike full-fledged VPNs this product does NOT slow down your Internet, route your traffic through our servers or mask your IP address.

Basically, it does the same as "Adblock by Futuremind" which was already discussed in this thread.

So, everything I said about it is also true for Privacy Pro:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rs-mini-reviews.1918483/page-36#post-23668156

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Master VPN is compatible with Adguard as well.
How connect to demand suppose to work, my vpn is on all the time, if I switch on connect to demand and turn off vpn, Then data change to mobile data and by opening any app it change to wifi vpn, but after closing app vpn is not swiched off even with no application running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.