Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The problem with GMail is people are use to keeping all there email in the INBOX! Apple wants INBOX ZERO so that is why Apple email programs have problem with Apple Mail connecting to a Gmail Servers. Plus Google likes changing there email servers all the time.

Really? I have two Gmail accounts with thousands of emails each, and using both for several years.

I never had any issues with either account (using iMAP). The only minor nuisances happened twice when Google decided to ask to enter my password again.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
His issue is with the older POP one connection! :confused:
Then what you are experiencing is to be expected.

Please read above, POP was not designed to support multiple devices.
Enabling the option to 'Leave messages on the server' doesn't give POP the ability to support multiple devices.
It's just a workaround that simply doesn't work as expected when you have too many emails.
This is not an Apple issue, as I have seen it happen with Outlook in the past.

If you want it to work properly, use iMAP instead, or the Gmail Client App.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Then what you are experiencing is to be expected.

Please read above, POP was not designed to support multiple devices.
Enabling the option to 'Leave messages on the server' doesn't give POP the ability to support multiple devices.
It's just a workaround that simply doesn't work as expected when you have too many emails.
This is not an Apple issue, as I have seen it happen with Outlook in the past.

If you want it to work properly, use iMAP instead, or the Gmail Client App.

POP works fine for me on multiple clients and devices. It supports multiple clients just fine. Please stop slandering a protocol that works fine for many people.

IMAP is poorly implemented on many clients. It's slow, quirky, and offers a wonderfully confusing user experience - especially when there is more that one email account in use. It seems that every ISP / developer has their own implementation of the "standard".

To the poster you were responding to: Try this Gmail help article for a tip on using multiple clients.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
POP works fine for me on multiple clients and devices. It supports multiple clients just fine. Please stop slandering a protocol that works fine for many people.

IMAP is poorly implemented on many clients. It's slow, quirky, and offers a wonderfully confusing user experience - especially when there is more that one email account in use. It seems that every ISP / developer has their own implementation of the "standard".

To the poster you were responding to: Try this Gmail help article for a tip on using multiple clients.

As you said above: "It may work on multiple devices", but it was not designed for that. That's why it works for you but not for other people.

If IMAP is poorly implemented on many clients, well... find a client that supports it properly.
And sometimes the ISP is the one to blame as they simply don't care.

But if you people want to insist on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, go ahead. I won't question you anymore. If that's what you want to believe and makes you happy, you are on your own.

Here's a freebie for you: http://www.howtogeek.com/197207/email-basics-pop3-is-outdated-please-switch-to-imap-today/

Robinson C

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017

DCIFRTHS -- I'm also a POP user and I hope you can help me with an email question. I would like to install the ios 10 update but the ios9 debacle has made me wary. If you still use POP on an iPhone, can you tell me if it works with ios10?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
DCIFRTHS -- I'm also a POP user and I hope you can help me with an email question. I would like to install the ios 10 update but the ios9 debacle has made me wary. If you still use POP on an iPhone, can you tell me if it works with ios10?
I'm not DCIFRTHS but I can tell you that my main email account is a POP and it works fine on iOS 10 and has worked fine for me on every iOS version from the beginning.

Robinson C

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
I'm not DCIFRTHS but I can tell you that my main email account is a POP and it works fine on iOS 10 and has worked fine for me on every iOS version from the beginning.
Thanks, fellow player with fire, it's encouraging to know that you haven't had problems.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008

Hi Robinson C

Sorry for the delay in responding...

At this point in time, I only check one of my email accounts on iOS. I use the native G Mail client for that one account, and I rarely ever check it. The truth is that I hate the phone for checking mail because I can't read the text without reading glasses, and I am very lazy when it comes to carrying my glasses.

I know you didn't ask about Mac OS, but I still use POP on my desktop for all my accounts, and have no problems.

Robinson C

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
Hi Robinson C

Sorry for the delay in responding...

At this point in time, I only check one of my email accounts on iOS. I use the native G Mail client for that one account, and I rarely ever check it. The truth is that I hate the phone for checking mail because I can't read the text without reading glasses, and I am very lazy when it comes to carrying my glasses.

I know you didn't ask about Mac OS, but I still use POP on my desktop for all my accounts, and have no problems.
Thanks for taking the time to answer (I know what you mean, it seems like those fonts just keep getting smaller!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.