Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flori13

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
I'm surprised people still haven't adjusted to the speed at which it all works. I'm not saying it's good or right or anything like that, simply that given what it is after all this time seems like most would adjust simply through regular use and muscle memory (which happened to me back in iOS 7 days coming from iOS 6 and earlier versions).
most of the users adjust, IMO this forum often represents the 1%. 99% dont notice it/don't care enough and therefore simply don't post.
I personally try to adjust, but with every update there are new mind-boggling input blocks.
I really would like to know how much they acknowledge this in the dev team. On one hand, the opening/closing app animation is IMHO the best thing that happened on iOS in the last 2 years, on the other hand, the new Apple Music next up banner the worst.

Reactions: trifid

bartekw

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
most of the users adjust, IMO this forum often represents the 1%. 99% dont notice it/don't care enough and therefore simply don't post.
I personally try to adjust, but with every update there are new mind-boggling input blocks.
I really would like to know how much they acknowledge this in the dev team. On one hand, the opening/closing app animation is IMHO the best thing that happened on iOS in the last 2 years, on the other hand, the new Apple Music next up banner the worst.

Yeap, I agree. I generally like the changes and the new updates but I will never understand the input blocking. It's just frustrating. Like the alarm app. If the app can open and close immediately, why can't I use the alarm app the way I've been using it all the time. This is just the iPhone experience that got me convinced to switch to Apple phones. Now it's getting lost.

I remember that last year I installed iOS 9 on iPhone 6 and didn't understand that input blocking. I though it was intentional to go and buy the 6s. I couldn't be more wrong. I went to the Apple Store and checked the 6s and the input blocking was there... And that was just wrong. Because the first time in my history the new model with the latest software was slower than 1 year old device with older software.

And then all the bragging on Apple keynote about the fastest, most advance iPhone and software in the history. Wtf

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011

You know that 99%, that probably didn't care enough about animations are surely going to appreciate the slightly faster animations in iOS10 when closing apps. What I'm saying is, just because those people don't post here, doesn't mean they don't experience it or don't feel some level of annoyance.

Most of my family and friends that I show this to agree it's very annoying. The good outweighs the bad in iOS so they stick with it. Again that doesn't mean 'casual' or mainstream users don't experience it.

Last edited:

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Yeah it makes me crazy!

It's like Apple thinks "Alright, lets annoy our customers by making input blocking"!

Common Apple! Just we have faster open/closing animations doesn't mean we have an overall better experience.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You know that 99%, that probably didn't care enough about animations are surely going to appreciate the slightly faster animations in iOS10 when closing apps. What I'm saying is, just because those people don't post here, doesn't mean they don't experience it or don't feel some level of annoyance.

Most of my family and friends that I show this to agree it's very annoying. The good outweighs the bad in iOS so they stick with it. Again that doesn't mean 'casual' or mainstream users don't experience it.
People work differently and have different tolerances. Most friends and family have never heard of this much less encountered it. Again, there are metrics on "who this bothers or not".

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
much less encountered it

How do you know this? How do you know they've never double/triple tapped something due to input-blocking?

You have any idea how many UI issues and quirks people put up with in Windows, Android etc and can never especifically identify the issue? But the annoyance is there, and as soon as it's fixed the change is noticeable.

Last edited:

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
That's my point. How do you know anyone has encountered this or not? How do you know they haven't mis-tapped the screen or thought they tapped?

Because I've had them use 8.4.1 and 9 side by side and 100% of them see the issue and agree.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because I've had them use 8.4.1 and 9 side by side and 100% of them see the issue and agree.
And I've seen those who used them both and didn't see anything that was noticeable to them. Everyone is different, on top of different devices/installations also being somewhat different to one degree or another.

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
And I've seen those who used them both and didn't see anything that was noticeable to them. Everyone is different, on top of different devices/installations also being somewhat different to one degree or another.

"You have any idea how many UI issues and quirks people put up with in Windows, Android etc and can never especifically identify the issue? But the annoyance is there, and as soon as it's fixed the change is noticeable."

I agree with you that the level of annoyance varies from people to people though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So you definitely know one or two people who are affected by this.
[doublepost=1473521187][/doublepost]
"You have any idea how many UI issues and quirks people put up with in Windows, Android etc and can never especifically identify the issue? But the annoyance is there, and as soon as it's fixed the change is noticeable."

I agree with you that the level of annoyance varies from people to people though.
The term UI Issues is so broad it could mean almost anything. And there are things that annoy me about Windows, but I doubt Microsoft will change it for me; are those ui issues?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
People work differently and have different tolerances. Most friends and family have never heard of this much less encountered it. Again, there are metrics on "who this bothers or not".

Actually its pretty noticeable to those who have used Android and switched to iOS.The difference can be jarring

So you definitely know one or two people who are affected by this.
[doublepost=1473521187][/doublepost]
The term UI Issues is so broad it could mean almost anything. And there are things that annoy me about Windows, but I doubt Microsoft will change it for me; are those ui issues?

Why do you need Microsoft to change it for you when there are tons of software available on the Web to do the job?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Actually its pretty noticeable to those who have used Android and switched to iOS.The difference can be jarring

Why do you need Microsoft to change it for you when there are tons of software available on the Web to do the job?
Well IOS behaviors is something android users should consider when switching to IOS, no?
[doublepost=1473527936][/doublepost]
More.

Possibly.
So out of the hundreds of millions of IOS 9 users, you speak for a few. That .000001% is not anything that apple will change, unless for whatever reason, they undo whatever they did in IOS 9 because they thought it's a benefit to the masses. Right?

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Well IOS behaviors is something android users should consider when switching to IOS, no?
[doublepost=1473527936][/doublepost]
So out of the hundreds of millions of IOS 9 users, you speak for a few. That .000001% is not anything that apple will change, unless for whatever reason, they undo whatever they did in IOS 9 because they thought it's a benefit to the masses. Right?

Wrong, we were discussing personal experiences, you claimed none of your acquaintances "ever experienced it". I can contestested your claim, and you evaded the question.

Reactions: Radon87000

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And we are back to the same old stuff being rehashed that has been rehashed for many pages in this thread months ago (and many one threads).

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I did.It was perfect on iOS 8.4.1 .Just like Android
It wasn't perfect for me. Thank goodness for competition, right?
[doublepost=1473532351][/doublepost]
Wrong, we were discussing personal experiences, you claimed none of your acquaintances "ever experienced it". I can contestested your claim, and you evaded the question.
How can one "evade" a question when no one sees a particular behavior. Saying they may miss it, is like saying your "friends" are miss-hitting the touchscreen? I contest your "stats" that you can know anything about the masses, except for the few people in your circle.
[doublepost=1473532395][/doublepost]
And we are back to the same old stuff being rehashed that has been rehashed for many pages in this thread months ago (and many one threads).
I think we may be back to the old proverbial horse.

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
It wasn't perfect for me. Thank goodness for competition, right?
[doublepost=1473532351][/doublepost]
How can one "evade" a question when no one sees a particular behavior. Saying they may miss it, is like saying your "friends" are miss-hitting the touchscreen? I contest your "stats" that you can know anything about the masses, except for the few people in your circle.
[doublepost=1473532395][/doublepost]
I think we may be back to the old proverbial horse.

I'm not making claims about the "masses" based on my acquaintances. By the same token, what I'm saying is, this input-blocking issue, can't easily be dismissed as something most people don't experience, because no one knows the stats for that. It could be most people experience it, and that's just another annoyance they have to put up with. Some use their phone faster than others and expect better responsiveness, and therefore may experience a greater 'annoyance'.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm not making claims about the "masses" based on my acquaintances. By the same token, what I'm saying is, this input-blocking issue, can't easily be dismissed as something most people don't experience, because no one knows the stats for that. It could be most people experience it, and that's just another annoyance they have to put up with. Some use their phone faster than others and expect better responsiveness, and therefore may experience a greater 'annoyance'.
I'm saying on the other hand you don't know what "most" people experience. Could be a total non-issue for "most" people. You can't have any knowledge one way or another.

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
I'm saying on the other hand you don't know what "most" people experience. Could be a total non-issue for "most" people. You can't have any knowledge one way or another.

Agreed, we can try to make certain assumptions but we don't have stats to know for sure.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
As someone said in this thread:
People might not know what the problem is (we know -> input blocking).
But once the issue is fixed, people will notice something ("wow, this is fast!").
Same with the open/close folder animation.
Have you noticed how many websites wrote about that new "feature"?
Imagine how many people would notice when the stupid input blocking is gone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In any cases it's a testament to the engineering team of iOS 8.4.1 that even iOS 10 isn't anywhere close to it Be it speed or battery life
More of a testament to the iOS 7.1.2 team or even better the iOS 6.1.3 team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.